Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Almond butter question

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Almond butter question « Previous Next »

Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to make almond butter today but it didn't turn out right. I rinsed off the almonds, baked them for about 15 minutes, then put them in a food processor for a long time but all it did was chop the nuts up real fine. It never turned into a butter substance. I scraped the edges a couple times while I was processing, and added a little oil and water.

So now I have a bowl of chopped almonds, and I don't know what to do with it. Does anyone know what I can do to make almond butter or almond milk at this point? Almonds are expensive! I don't want to throw them away.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany P.,

There are lots of uses for chopped almonds. My dad used to dip skinless chicken breasts in an egg wash, roll them in slivered almonds, and bake them on a cookie sheet while making a hot orange sauce for them.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An olde recipe for almond milk:

http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec31.htm
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tif, I don't have a recipe and I've never tried to make any nut butter but once at a health food store, where they ground their own nut butters, I asked if they had any almond butter and they said, "No, because the almonds are too dry right now to use for almond butter". Guess this wasn't very helpful, was it?
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha Dianne thanks, and thanks Roy. That hot orange sauce sounds GREAT. I wonder what would happen if I boil the almonds, I wonder if they would get mushier?
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 5:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bless you, Roy! I was about to recommend GodeCookery, as I first ran across it last week. Several of their recipes are on my menu for tonight.

I think I'm kind of lucky in that I was already interested in historically-old-fashioned cooking before I discovered that to be healthy, I'd have to do virtually everything from scratch...
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy- I tried your roasted chicken breasts rolled in ground almonds last night and loved it! Thank you so much for the dinner suggestion. It's always so nice to find something new to eat.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not yet made my own almond butter but found some info online. There are a few different ways you can do it....raw or roasted, blanched or unblanched.

All of the info I came across stated to grind to a powder - some chunks are ok. Then you add oil (coconut, canola, or oil of choice) a little bit at a time and mix in to the consistancy you desire. Add salt if you want. Some use blenders (small amounts of almonds at a time) and some use cuisine art and others use a machine called Vita-Blend.

One said they soak the almonds overnight as they found the almonds to be sweeter that way, then grind up next day.

Another said to not grind at too high of a speed to where the almonds get hot as that releases and breaks down the fatty acids in the almonds (if you want it to be super healthy and get all nutrients from them)

For the roasted variety, roasting them at 300 degree oven for 15 minutes or so keeping an eye on them and shaking pan time to time to brown evenly. When I do roasted almonds, I find that they only need about 10-12 minutes and so eveyone's ovens may vary and it is important to keep an eye on them else you may end up with black burnt almonds (speaking from experience - lol).

I'd give it another go though - look it up online and see what you find for various techniques. :-)
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Melinda. I don't know where I went wrong, I ran them in the "food processor" I bought from Wal-Mart for a long time, then blended the poo out of them with a hand blender, and they still never turned into butter. I also added water and oil. They are going into the trash today.
angelica
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi checking to see how to opost 1sttimeangelica
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good job!
Kem
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second or third the idea of dipping the chicken in beaten egg, rolling in ground almonds. I oven fry mine in coconut oil and butter half and half. I usually add salt, basil, thyme and maybe turmeric to the almonds for extra flavor.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page