Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pastry dough?

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Pastry dough? « Previous Next »

Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 4:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still hunting for that perfect pastry dough for pasties and beef purses - the ones I've tried either take too long to be practical once I get home from work, or end up the consistency of brittle shoe leather (since I'm using whole wheat flour). Anybody got a really good pastry recipe that won't leave my shoulders sore from using a rolling pin to incorporate half a cup of butter chunks into a huge lump of dough?
Pamela T.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No recipe, but...I recently made pie crust with butter and I used the food processor to blend it all together. It worked like a charm.
Anonymous

Posted From: 24.5.150.65
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have also heard that you can substitute alcohol (vodka specifically) for some of the water. Gluten only forms in the presence of water. Only a tablespoon or two is all that's needed, so it should be OK unless you're very, very sensitive. High-end vodkas still make me react, but only after I've had enough that I don't care. Cheap stuff is just BAD, and I wouldn't even use it for pie dough. Any other alcohols will ruin the flavor. This will help make the crust tender.
Jennifer
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pamela - no food processor yet, but I'll probably end up getting one before long. TinyKitchen... *sigh*

Jennifer - Wow, that sounds fantastic. Thanks!
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about trying coconut oil instead of butter? I plan to try it next time I get into the "pie mood", because it has the same consistency as Crisco.

Just a thought.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy N., I cook with a lot of pastries, what kind of dough are you specifically looking for? A pie crust dough?
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily,

I'm pretty much looking for something to use for meat-pies or dumplings - you know, where you take a small ball of dough, roll it out in a circle, put in the filling, then fold it up before baking? The original recipe I used didn't convert very well (texture-wise) to the use of whole-wheat flour, and it usually takes me about 45 minutes to get all of the butter incorporated. The pastry-blender doesn't work well on that one because it's such a stiff dough.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iíve never made meat filled pastries but I would love to try them, would you mind sharing your recipe?

If you are looking for a pastry that mixes easily, I have one that calls for oil that is much easier to mix by hand.

Wisk together:
1 1/3 cup flour
Ĺ tsp. salt

In a separate bowl mix together:
1/3 cup plus 1 TBSP oil
ľ cup cold milk

Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until blended.

Bake until crust is golden brown 12-18 minutes at 425 F. I use this for a few different dishes and have always been happy with the results.

Hopefully youíll be able to invest in a food processor soon. I debated for a few years if I really needed one and Iím so happy I finally gave in a bought one. I use it every day. Next to my Kitchen Aid mixer, itís my most frequently used appliance and has made cooking so much faster.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily,

Excellent, thanks! I've been making the Cornish Pasties from Deb's book every other week or so, and then there are the Beef Purses I got from an Elizabethan-era cookbook. I'll be happy to post the full recipe this weekend.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy, I just found the pasties recipe in Deb's book- it sounds good (I've loved every recipes I've tried in Deb's book). Would you mind sharing your Beef Purses recipe? Thanks!
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 5:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off, Jennifer's suggestion for the vodka pie crust really paid off - it was perfect, and much easier than the one I'd been using. I swiped the one from here: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/pie-crust-101/

Now for the beef purses. I usually double the following recipe to get enough for six people:

8 oz of ground round or sirloin
1/4 tsp ground rosemary
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs light brown sugar (I used Turbinado)
Pinch of freshly milled black pepper
1/3 c. currants (can substitute raisins)
6 pitted dates, finely chopped
1 tbs finely chopped candied ginger (or fresh)

1/2 recipe of pastry dough
1 large egg, beaten

Combine first ten ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight. (Not that I actually do that part.) Remove the meat mixture from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking.

Preheat oven to 350F. The cookbook says to roll out your pastry dough to a 1/8" thickness and cut out 24 dough circles, but I think that flying by the seat of my pants is easier - I just roll it out to about 1/4" thickness, cut out a bunch of circles, roll them out thinner, fill 'em and pinch them shut. You can really make them any size that suits you. Beat the egg and brush a little on top of each purse, then place the purses on a well-greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. If your purses are about palm-sized, 15 is usually sufficient.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and Emily - I'm going to try your pastry recipe tonight, for sausage wraps. Didn't get to it this weekend because I had an oil shortage. :D
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Amy, those sound good.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do a search for empanadas on the Internet, you can find a lot of very good pastry recipes and fillings.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip, Deb. I haven't done much exploration into hispanic cookery due to my nightshade sensitivity, since a lot of the stuff you get at restaurants tends to be packed full of peppers. I'll have to look into this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page