Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bagels and Giant Soft Pretzels

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Bagels and Giant Soft Pretzels « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over the years Ive gotten burned out of the taste of homemade bread, especially for sandwiches. I found this recipe two years ago and its still a family favorite. The bagels are very soft and chewy and are perfect for sandwiches. I make half of the batch plain and the other half of the batch rolled in cinnamon sugar, then freeze. My husband loves to eat the cinnamon sugar ones for a snack or for breakfast. I think using milk makes them a little softer but Im not eating any dairy right now and using only water in the recipe has been just fine.

2 cups milk, scalded (or water)
1 TBSP. yeast
cup warm water
cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
cup canola oil

3 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
tsp. baking powder

Scald milk, set aside and allow to cool. Dissolve yeast in warm water, then add sugar, salt, warm milk and oil. Mix together, then add half the flour. Cover and let rise 40 minutes. Add remaining flour and baking powder. Knead until dough forms a smooth ball. Pat into 9x15 rectangle, cut into bagels. Let rise 30 minutes. Boil in water for 30 seconds on each side, drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with toppings (cinnamon sugar, cheese, etc.) the bake on cookie sheet at 400 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Freezes well.

Giant Soft Pretzels

4 tsp. active dry yeast
2 cup warm water
4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
5 cups all purpose flour (I use half white and half wheat)
2 TBSP Olive oil or butter
Coarse salt

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar and salt. Stir in flour, cup at a time, to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes (dough will still be slightly sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and divide into 18 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 14 inch rope; twist into a pretzel shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with olive oil or butter; sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.

I make a batch of these pretzels every week. We eat them for a quick snack or for lunches.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yum! The cinnamon & sugar sounds great. Can the Canola oil be substituted by something else? More often than not Canola is genetically engineered.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily,

I find bread made with olive oil to be delicious.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LaurenC,

I meant that response to be for you, too. Enjoy!
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy. I like to ask before attempting a substitution as it usually tends to blow up in my face :0).
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunflower or safflower oil work well in most recipes. Thanks for the recipes! They sound so good. May I ask how you form the dough into bagel shapes?
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use olive oil all of the time now in place of butter (I'm on a no dairy diet right now while I'm nursing my daughter) and have LOVED it. But hadn't even thought to try making bread with olive oil, thanks for the suggestion Roy.

I thought canola oil was a safe oil for us to use. I haven't seen a reaction yet but should I make a switch over to sunflower or safflower? I thought safflower and canola were both often GE, but is safflower a better option overall?

Deb A- I make these every week so I bought a bagel cutter that looks like a tall cookie cutter but in the shape of a bagel/doughnut. It's stainless steel and was $2.00 at a kitchen store. You can also use a large cup to cut out the bagels like making sugar cookies, then use your finger to poke a hole in the center.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about organic canola or organic safflower? Safe?
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there such a thing as organic canola? What IS canola made from anyway?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Emily. I want to try making them. I made some years ago, and the family loved them...used whole wheat bread. I buy regular sunflower oil at a European grocery store....from Russia. But lately, it's been harder and harder to find. I can no longer find it in the regular grocery stores....bio-fuel?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you can find both sides of people who like Canola oil and those who don't. I read a few years ago that Canola oil is rapeseed oil, and it is from Canada. I just looked it up on google, you should try it. Here is just a sample:
Before you read the following article, here is a summary of a few facts regarding Canola Oil:
It is genetically engineered rapeseed.
Canada paid the FDA the sum of $50 million to have rape seed registered and recognized as "safe". (Source: Young Again and others)
Rapeseed is a lubricating oil used by small industry. It has never been meant for human consumption.
It is derived from the mustard family and is considered a toxic and poisonous weed, which when processed, becomes rancid very quickly.
It has been shown to cause lung cancer (Wall Street Journal: 6/7/95)
It is very inexpensive to grow and harvest. Insects won't eat it.
Some typical and possible side effects include loss of vision, disruption of the central nervous system, respiratory illness, anemia, constipation, increased incidence of heart disease and cancer, low birth weights in infants and irritability.
Generally rapeseed has a cumulative effect, taking almost 10 years before symptoms begin to manifest. It has a tendency to inhibit proper metabolism of foods and prohibits normal enzyme function. Canola is a Trans Fatty Acid, which has shown to have a direct link to cancer. These Trans Fatty acids are labeled as hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Avoid all of them!
According to John Thomas' book, Young Again, 12 years ago in England and Europe, rape seed was fed to cows, pigs and sheep who later went blind and began attacking people. There were no further attacks after the rape seed was eliminated from their diet.
Source: David Dancu, N.D.
The above is from this page:http://www.karinya.com/canola.htm

Interesting because this guy is talking about disease states and their relation to 'food'

Here is another paragraph from above:Canola oil's real name is "LEAR" oil (Low Erucic Acid Rape). It is more commonly known as "rape oil," a semi-drying oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap and synthetic rubber base, and as an illuminant to give color pages in magazines their slick look. In short it is an industrial oil that does not belong in the human body. It is typically referred to in light industry as a penetrating oil. Canola oil is a GM or genetically modified product You have read about GM foods? If not, you need to go to our page about such products..

I think you need to weigh whether it is good or bad.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page