Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pizza crust....is this OK

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Pizza crust....is this OK « Previous Next »

Bonnie M.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this recipe for pizza crust and was wondering if the ingredients were OK to give my son.

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

pizza or alfredo sauce
toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

I'm not sure what I would use for a sauce at this time.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, it sounds interesting. I would be careful about subjecting any protein rich food like cheese to such a high temperature...frees up the glutamate even further. And be sure to use whole milk cheeses. If he can't tolerate wheat, can he tolerate rice flour? I have used brown rice flour to make a good biscuit. It's a bit crumbly, but you can add an egg. It makes a good pizza crust w/o yeast. I have used some organic or pasta sauces made in Italy with some success for a topping.Just check labels. Or you can puree fresh tomatoes and strain in a thin cloth in a strainer over a bowl to make a puree to top the pizza. I have made a pesto of basil leaves, olive oil, and toasted almonds or walnuts and used that to spread on a crust before adding sliced tomatoes and other toppings.
Bonnie M.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb.
He doesn't have a problem with wheat but I do. I can't tolerate any grains but brown rice. Maybe I'll get some rice flour and give it a try.
I thought with this recipe I could sneek in the veggies.
Is there a problem with pine nuts?
I'm having to keep an eye on him because he doesn't like a lot of the fresh ingredients I try to give him, so he's not eating too much right now. I'm hoping in a few days he will start eating the healthier stuff. I just have to stick to my guns.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be sure to buy a brown rice flour that is ground very fine...same with white rice flour, which I bought and found too gritty. I know there are white ones that are better than the one I found. Yes, you sure are doing the right thing by being firm with your son. He will notice the difference with time and trial, and one day thank you for caring so much. And be sure to bring him into the process...read with him and let him help make meals. He will be ahead of the game when it's time to leave home.
viv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 8:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can't tolerate tomatoes you can try roasting carrots (I fill a roaster full of veggies to last the week) and puree them with
a bit of apple cider vinegar
salt
touch of honey
oregano
cayenne pepper
and enough water to puree
If you want it to look more authentically tomato you can add a touch of pureed beets. You now have "tomato sauce". It's surprising how great it tastes. I've fooled many with this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page