Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Kale and greens

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Kale and greens « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently found out I can tolerate nitrates/standard curing ingredients in the form of bacon without additional ingredients. So I cut the bacon into small bits, cooked until done and then added greens to the pot with a small bit of water - it was SO yummy. Not something to indulge in very often though. But I'm wondering if smoked salmon would be good? I know someone that smokes salmon he catches himself - and that's safe for me. Too bad it only happens once a year. I have maybe 8 months to wait.
Jennifer
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out www.vitalchoice.com. I LOVE their King Salmon. I haven't tried the smoked salmon, but they do list any ingredients they use.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I haven't tried anything that contains nitrates since I began avoiding MSG due to headaches I suspected were being caused by both. It would be fun to be able to use a little bacon. As a substitute, I go to our butcher and have him slice fresh side pork, bacon thin, and then I salt and pepper it real well. At the end of frying, I lightly sprinkle with a bit of cane sugar. It tastes just like cured bacon..close, anyway.
Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do react to nitrates, but it's a totally different reaction and not bad at all. It's hard to describe, other than maybe feeling "off", but can't tell for sure. Could be my imagination (but it probably isn't). So I just consider myself lucky - and I don't want to overdo it lest I start to react. But sometimes it's a yummy treat. I did eat most of an entire package, too, this is when I found this out. I don't know what I was thinking at the time but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The only other ingredient was sugar. I don't remember the brand.
Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could find bacon that didn't contain natural flavors or sodium nitrite.

Here are two links to health effects from ingesting sodium nitrite, 1st from Organic Consumers and 2nd from the NIH.gov

http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/processedmeat050305.cfm

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~xaGaTZ:1
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Think I'll stick to the side pork. It is delicious. Just be sure to pepper and salt it liberally and add a hint of sugar at the end of the frying time.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 5:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a question about smoked salmon. Does anyone know if "natural hardwood smoke" could contain MSG? I just bought some from Whole Foods and I'm wondering if I should return it or not. :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 6:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AdaLovelace,
I wouldn't necessarily return it, but it's hard to know what the ingredients are in the ingredients. They don't say whether or not the "natural hardwood smoke" has been flavored with barley malt or other additives, or if the smoked wood chips give off formaldehyde or other compounds. The only real way to know is to try a little and see if you react, which is hard to predict. I usually try anything new as the last course in a meal, which for me seems to help buffer reactions slightly if there is going to be one.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 9:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much, Roy, for the insight. Why the heck aren't companies required to truly list their ingredients? It's beyond me. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. <3
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

p.s. I had a dream last night that I was reading the label on a bottle of BBQ sauce that had previously claimed to contain "NO MSG." However under new laws, they had to repackage it and state the true amount of MSG in parts per million. It was a bit of a bizarre dream, but it was beautiful none the less. I believe the future will hold something like this...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 11:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually, it will say "smoke flavoring" or "natural smoke flavoring" if it is MSG that has been passed over wood smoke, liquified, and had caramel coloring added. But as Roy says, one never knows about other compounds that may be harmful. I do fine with smoked salmon sold at Costco at Christmas time, but not the fresh ones sold during the year in the cooler area. Ada, I sure hope your dream comes true! :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page