Turtles!Deb A.4-06-09  2:26 pm
Pancake Recipeviv13 9-03-09  8:50 am
Margarine ReplacementDeb A.6-08-09  11:15 am
Easy ChickenDeb A.6-08-09  11:16 am
Easy Lemon Italian Ice (lemon slush)Deb A.8-19-09  10:27 am
Restaurant Style Salsaviv10 9-03-09  8:42 am
Pizza recipe requestDeb A.10-15-09  8:22 am
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!ali28 11-30-10  8:42 am
Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, MSG free food and recipes needed!Shannon19 2-11-10  4:23 pm
Ginger ale and cream soda recipeskristy3-08-10  10:00 am
Quickbread variations/taco bread recipeDeb A.3-31-10  7:50 am
Can i use the leftover whey from making yogurt?Deb A.21 6-21-10  11:10 am
Yummy Potato RecipeEmilyS12-27-10  9:43 am
Campfire treat instead of S'Mores?Deb A.6-28-11  9:38 am
I've been Freezer Cooking!Deb A.27 5-17-12  10:03 pm
Soda Stream // Soda MakerAdaLovelace15 5-17-12  11:32 am
Parmesan substitutesali7-16-12  6:11 am
Chinese Food :"base"Deb A.16 7-30-12  9:30 am
Thanksgiving - Recipes for an MSG Free Holiday msgkills11-14-12  11:28 am
Dreamsicle Italian IceDeb A.3-03-14  8:21 am
  Start New Thread        

Welcome to Recipes or Snack Ideas. You may enter any of the discussions above by clicking on the appropriate link. Or, to start a new discussion of your own, click on the "Create New Conversation" button.

If adding a message below, ignore the reference to an account. Full names are not necessary in the username box. Passwords are not required.

Rose
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi gang, I got this from Low Carb Cook's Nook, and thought it looked pretty safe. What do you all think? I didn't have any trouble with lamb or ground beef, any suggestions on tomato paste?

F00D Angel: How about some Eggplant with Lamb and Almond Stuffing?
F00D Angel: With a meat filling enhanced with sauteed onions and garlic, stuffed eggplant makes a savory entree or side dish.
F00D Angel: Toasted almonds add a festive touch.
F00D Angel: Unlike traditional stuffings, this quick version does not need rice to bind the meat as it is simply spooned over the eggplant.
F00D Angel: For this recipe, the eggplant is baked in halves and topped with the meat mixture. If using very small eggplants to serve whole, broil or roast them, following the instructions at the end of this recipe.
F00D Angel: 2 pounds Japanese, Chinese, or small Italian eggplant, peeled in strips or unpeeled
F00D Angel: 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
F00D Angel: Salt, freshly ground pepper
F00D Angel: 1 large onion, finely chopped
F00D Angel: 1/2 pound lean ground lamb (or beef)
F00D Angel: 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
F00D Angel: 1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste
F00D Angel: 3 to 4 tablespoons slivered almonds, lightly toasted, optional
F00D Angel: Cayenne pepper, optional
F00D Angel: Remove caps and halve eggplants lengthwise. Place eggplants, cut side up, side by side in a lightly oiled roasting pan or shallow baking dish.
F00D Angel: Spoon 2 tablespoons oil evenly over, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
F00D Angel: Bake in 450-degree oven for 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender when pierced with a knife.
F00D Angel: Heat 1 or 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. Add onion and saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add lamb or beef, salt and pepper to taste, and garlic.
F00D Angel: Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until meat changes color.
F00D Angel: Mix tomato paste with 2 to 3 tablespoons water and add to mixture.
F00D Angel: Cook for 3 more minutes or until meat is completely cooked through and mixture is fairly thick but not dry. Add almonds and cayenne pepper to taste, if desired.
F00D Angel: Taste and adjust seasoning; season generously. Spoon topping over eggplant halves. If you like, bake for 5 minutes to further flavor eggplant. Serve hot.
F00D Angel: Servings: 4.
F00D Angel: Note: To prepare whole eggplants, prick each eggplant 5 or 6 times with a fork. Set them on a broiler rack or in a roasting pan lined with foil.
F00D Angel: Broil as close to heat source as possible for about 5 minutes on each side, or bake them in a 450-degree oven for about 10 minutes on each side or until they feel soft when pressed.
F00D Angel: Cut off caps if desired. Carefully slit eggplants lengthwise almost in half. Spoon stuffing inside. If you have broiled the eggplant, be careful not to get charred bits of skin into the stuffing.
F00D Angel: from Faye Levy's "International Vegetable Cookbook"
Rose
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another recipe. Unfortunately, Full Circle is my grocery store's proprietary organic brand (I'm in VA), but here goes:

Make a quick, all-natural dinner tonight!

1/2 cup organic flour
1 pinch salt and pepper
1 organic egg, beaten
1/4 cup Full Circle milk
1/2 cup Full Circle almonds
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs (replace with safe breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (replace with Mozzarella, maybe?)
Approx. 18 Ukrop’s All-Natural Chicken Tenders (replace with safe chicken)
2 tablespoons Full Circle Butter
2 tablespoons Joe’s Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 250. Mix flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and set aside. Mix egg and milk in a shallow bowl and set aside. Place almonds in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and pulse to combine. Remove mixture to a shallow bowl and set aside.

Dredge each tender in flour mixture and shake off excess. Dip in egg wash and coat with almond mixture. Melt butter and olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each tender for about 2 minutes per side or until cooked through. Add more butter or oil as needed to cook all tenders. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rose, they both sound delicious. Be aware that eggplant is high in naturally occcurring glutamate. I'd like to suggest that you bake it at a lower temperature...even 400 degrees instead of 475...until tender. I am not sure it would make a difference, but I know that I react to chicken that is baked at a higher temperature.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter posted this recipe on her blog, Taste of Blue Sky. They look great..may try with fresh chopped cranberries and more sugar. Has anyone found a safe dried cranberry product?
10/09/2008
"Cranberry Orange Scones

One of the best investments I ever made was buying a breakfast cookbook called Beyond Oatmeal for my daughter for Christmas last year. I beg her to make me these tender, melt-in-your-mouth, lick your fingertips scones. She does.

2 c. flour
3 T. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 tsp. orange zest
1 egg yolk. beaten
1 c. sour cream

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add cranberries and orange peel, tossing to coat. Gently make a depression in the center; set aside.

In small mixing bowl, combine egg yolk and sour cream. Do not overmix. Pour into depression in dry mixture. Using a slicing motion with a fork, stir all until combined (mixture may seem dry). Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough 10 - 12 times until smooth. Pat and roll dough into a 7" circle, leaving center of circle thicker. Cut into 12 wedges. Arrange wedges, 1" apart. on cookie sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.

Orange Glaze

1 c. powdered sugar
1 T. orange juice
1/4 tsp. vanilla

In small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice, and vanilla. Add more orange juice, 1 tsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over warm scones and serve.
Posted by Krista at 7:43 AM"
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

o.k. Deb. I need help...or maybe someone else that has tried Deb's taffy recipe. OMG my kitchen stinks (actually the entire house). What did I do wrong to get this darkened, soupy, stinky mess? I wasn't sure what heat to use when cooking the recipe (high, med, etc.) and maybe I should have had the heat all the way up so it cooked for less time..... any ideas on Honey Taffy recipe? It sounded so easy and yummy. Thanks...Sara
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara B,

Deb A. will know more than me, but the general site listed below suggests:

"Clip a candy thermometer to the inside of the pan and cook without stirring until the syrup reaches 260 degrees (Hard Ball Stage)."

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Taffy-(candy)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Link fixed:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Taffy-%28candy%29
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy. I'm so slow to learn all this. I just thought an apple microwaved with a touch of brown sugar would be a nice treat. Now i have a headache and my breathing is heavy. So, I looked on the site for info and sure enough. Not a good idea. I also figured out that the melatonin I was taking off and on for a while has maltodextrin in it... so that's why I haven't been sleeping for about a week. I had taken it before and it didn't bother me, but for some reason it does now. I probably used it 5 times or so before it became a problem. Wow! Eventually I get it right. Thanks for the help everyone provides by posting on this site. I would really be a mess if this site wasn't here. Hope everyone is feeling healthy. Sara
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I make anything with a lot of sugar, I try to keep the temperature range around medium low...types of pots differ and will conduct heat differently, too, so that is why the temperature 265 degrees is given in the recipe. It's worth it to buy a good candy thermometer. The one I got last year can be used in oil, too. If you don't have a candy thermometer, you can fill a cup half way with cold water, and drip a little of the syrup into it. With your finger, feel the thickness of the candy and if it is very soft and a little runny, it's in the soft ball stage. If it forms a nice soft ball that can hold its shape better, that's what I call a medium ball stage, and you should remove the pot from the heat immediately for the taffy. I'm so sorry that you burned the sugar. It's very easy to do with candy...do a search on candy making and you should find some good information about technique...candy making is really an art. If you like Reeses peanut butter bars, the Ohio Buckeyes are great and there's no cooking (page 210). You can make them without the peanut butter, adding more sugar(butter creams) or using another nut butter. I think I will try them using natual coconut flakes and no nut butter. I like a sweet treat occasionally.
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb. Thanks for the info. I think maybe, after looking at the potential difficulty in making taffy on other websites, etc., I may try the Buckeyes first. I LOVE peanut butter. I just have to get the right kind first. I haven't bought everything I need yet. I made the Tortillas and they are awesome!! I made them with Bob's Red Mill Flour which was fun. I'm excited to try your other recipes. Thank you again for all you do to help so many people.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to help, Sara.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried a new product with success so far. It is All Whites from Crystal farms. www.bettereggs.com
It's a qt. of pasteurized liquid egg whites. 100% egg whites and no added ingredients. I am using it to pump up the protein content of my fruit smoothies. The product can be used in omelets, french toast, cakes, frosting, cookies, batters, coatings, and more. Once opened, it needs to used within 7 days.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eating raw egg whites can deplete the body of biotin.

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/biotin.html
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These aren't raw, Roy. They have been heat treated, and can't be beaten for whipped egg whites. That's good to know about raw eggs, because I know a lot of people who just add those to their smoothies. I always wonder about the dangers of salmonella with raw eggs. I know the threat is greater for children, but still...
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read in a veterinary text that *fertilized* eggs are OK and won't deplete biotin. This can be a problem feeding egg-eating reptiles normal grocery store eggs. A cooked egg won't work too well for those snakes that suck the contents out before expelling the shell.

I don't think the risk is too bad for salmonella - though the last raw eggs I had in quantity were in the Christmas Egg Nog I made. Yes I put whiskey in it, and that'll render it sterile:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081227223340.htm

But I do occasionally eat them, and if I find myself at a restaurant, a sunny-side up egg is usually pretty safe. I've never gotten sick from an egg.

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, when I think back about all the eggnogs my mother fed me made from raw eggs and orange juice, I guess I'm lucky I never got sick.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hah, I should send you all the lemon-whey left over from my cheese-making, Deb - that'd definitely put some kick AND protein in your smoothies!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use the leftover whey for anything, Amy?
Hope
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 6:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking for a recipe for green pea soup..thought I saw one somewhere on this web site, but can't seem to find it as I go back over old posts. Can someone help me find it - or post it again. Thanks.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope, not sure what you saw, but this split pea soup recipe looks good:
http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/3/584.html#POST8908
Hope
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, that's the one I was looking for.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 6:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

deb- i just wanted to post Big Raves for several of the recipes in your book, my guys all gave 2 thumbs up to tonites dinner:
*Pork Chops w/ Gravy (served with baked potatos)
*Fruit Salad Slaw
*your magic crust Pumpkin Pie for dessert, it came out more like a pudding (probly becoz i used barley flour) but i served it in bowls with my pineapple sauce on top and they loved it.
Everything was absolutely delicious & even my picky picky one commented that this was one of his favorite meals ever
3 cheers from all 3 of my gize! :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 7:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful! So happy to hear they all enjoyed the meal...the pineapple sauce sounds delicious, too.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 9:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another 2 thumbs up for last nites dinner too :-)
i had more pork chops & cabbage, so i did your German Pork Casserole & we all loved it (especially me- SO SIMPLE!)

oh the pineapple sauce is sooper easy to make, just heat a can of pinapple tidbits (if tolerated), or use fresh & mash it well as it warms. simmer until juice has cooked down some (also if tolerated) and thicken with a safe starch (ie arrowroot or potato) stirred into a little more juice.
dried cranberries or cherries can be added while the sauce is being made, for a more festive touch- they will plump while its cooking.
this sauce can be used warm or cold, & keeps in the fridge for over a week, its good over any kind of cake/dessert bread, frozen yogurt/ice cream, pancakes, etc...
one thing to remember tho if using arrowroot, the sauce will thin back out if reheated... but i think potato starch or sweet mochi rice should hold up better...oh, or tapioca! (ooh, its probly good over cooked tapioca too...mmm...i'll have to try that)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yum...thanks for the recipe..will try it. I buy fresh pineapple all the time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out