Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glutamine & Glutamic Acid

Battling the MSG Myth » MSG/Excitotoxin Related Links » Glutamine & Glutamic Acid « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The complementary doctors (and also MD nutritionists) often suggest taking glutamine to repair the intestine. In this study, glutamine supplementation failed to improve growth or intestinal status in malnourished Gambian infants. Source: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/2/421?etoc
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are just guessing about glutamine. Like we don't all have plenty of excess glutamate to turn into glutamine already. A Chemistry 101 class would help these docs tremendously. Chemical reactions typically go BOTH WAYS. What in the world convinces doctors to give many patients glutamine when they don't believe FOOD affects people?

I would be interested to find where the glutamine supplement advice came from. A Glutamate Association paid nutrition consultant perhaps? We should track this story down. It's hurting people.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son, who is now admitting that his reflux and stomach problems are probably MSG related, called last week to ask me if there was a problem taking glutamine supplements. I suspected that they (his chiropractic teachers)are now teaching this as a new approach to helping people with his problem. I sent him some of the information I found in a search here which made him think twice. Now I will send this link to him as well. You know, as a result of all your research here and constantly updated information, my sons are probably better doctors for it. I just wish all doctors had this informaton. Both of my sons have already written and delivered papers about MSG while in chiro school. Hopefully, some people listened...students and teachers.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe on one of Dr. Blaylock's videos he says that glutamine may help with intestinal repair (I have heard it can help people with Celiac disease), but he recommends that it be for short-term use only. Other than that, he doesn't recommend it as a supplement at all.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it may be dangerous to play around with any amino acids. Who know what the long term ramifications could be?
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H - re the history of glutamine
(1) This is from a PRO-glutamine site for sports medicine at http://www.scienceinsport.com/supplements.htm
Quote:
1866 Glutamic Acid discovered by Ritthausen.
1883 Glutamine described by Schultze and Bosshard.
1914 Glutamine presence and possible functions described in Human Body Thierfelder and Sherwen
1934 Krebs demonstrates in vitro glutamine synthesis
1974 First reliable data available on intra cellular amino acid pools
1980s Glutamine shown to be an important fuel for gastro-intestinal tract and rapidly proliferating cells of the immune system
1990s Glutamine linked with over training syndrome, regulation of protein synthesis. Supplementation of hospitalised trauma patients becomes common practice. Athletes and body builders experiment with glutamine supplementation with good results. Glutamine shows promise as a marker of training status.
(2) The book entitled, "Metabolic and Therapeutic Aspects of Amino Acids in Clinical Nutrition", Second Edition has a section on the history of glutamine. Only part of it is displayed at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=uDjfspNAHeYC&pg=PA614&lpg=PA614&dq=%22history+of+glutamine%22+mucosa&source=web&ots=iHwwqBHDZj&sig=Zl1_5-gZPYdVk74LjqFKJOJDwPc
--- See Page 614 --- Unfortunately, all of the history references on Pages 440, 615, etc. (as listed in the index) cannot be seen since Page 615 is not available to view.
Does anyone have a copy of this book?
Note: The web site will NOT allow you to view the actual pages for more than a couple of minutes so you have to be fast!
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, MEMorris. I have to really get all your new info up on MSGTruth.org. I need to really revamp the research page. There is so much new data it's hard to keep up, but we are learning so much every day. Each new study and piece of the puzzle still fits our theory and we are creating a body of evidence so big and so solid that it will be noticed by everyone eventually. It all started with every piece of data contributed by Judy T, MEMorris, Deb A, Tom, Gerry, Jerry and especially Roy our incredible linkmeister! over the last 7 and a half years - can you beleive it? We were bloggers before there were bloggers!
What a crew we have here. I don't know if a lot of the visitors here realize that this little community started over 7 years ago, and most of the same folks STILL visit here nearly every day or close to it. We are so thrilled that new voices join ours every day and turn around to help the ones that come after. Welcome and any help you can offer to add your own piece to the puzzle is greatly appreciated. Just like MEMorris has done for so many years here - we appreciate the scientific sleuthing. Only real science will conquer the pseudoscience that is being spread out there by the makers of this poison - who - like the recent toy makers and pet food makers and tainted canned meat sellers only care about profit and not the health and well being of consumers.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.wellatlast.com/articles.html#Hiatal
"L-Glutamine is often recommended for "leaky gut syndrome" or "intestinal repair." It may help. But there are two points I wish to raise here. First, some people, especially those with MSG sensitivity, may not tolerate glutamine. Secondly the intestines cannot be repaired until all overgrowths are ascertained and then eliminated. This may need to be done many times in the lifetime of those who were not breast-fed or who have genetic weaknesses or other weaknesses in this regard."
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried glutamine in the morning and had a MSG-like reaction around 5-6 hours later (MSG directly gives me a reaction after 30-90 minutes). I read (maybe at Lef.org) that some glutamine is converted into glutamate by the body. My advice - avoid glutamine.
jeb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have an msg problem and I think Glutamine makes it 'flare up' even though it helps acid reflux issues.I wonder if most people know this about Glutamine?.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have reflux, D-limonene (from Orange Peel Extract) can help. Look at:
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00913.html

Do you take SSRI or some other pharma drug (known to create reflux)?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glutamine can be converted into glutamate in the body.
jeb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also use chewable licorice tablets with Orange peel added.L Glutamine does cause the same reactions as MSG after a few tablets so all msg sensetive people should not take it.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Avoiding MSG can stop acid reflux for many people. I lived with it for years before I learned about the MSG connection.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FDA just approved Nexium for children at http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01802.html
I just can't imagine these poor kids being prescribed this drug which creates acid rebound and other problems as Mercola explains at http://www.mercola.com/2002/dec/21/nexium2.htm
Side effects per the FDA: headache, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, gas, constipation, dry mouth and sleepiness.
Side effects that we know of a no-MSG diet: Good health
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ: I know, I can't believe these poor kids have to be subjected to this either! My little nephew who is only a few months old was prescribed something for his "GERD". Ugh. Luckily it's extremely expensive and I don't think his parents can afford it...
For adults with GERD, you can try taking a spoonful of straight apple cider vinegar. Lots of people with acid reflux actually have too LITTLE acid. Acid is what tells the sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach to close. So if you have too little acid, it will not close and then you have acid splashing back up into the esophagus - reflux!
And of course I agree that MSG could definitely be part of the problem
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son suggests organic apple cider vinegar for his patients who complain of acid reflux, too. They are always shocked, but most are amazed at the results.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb,
I wish that worked for my daughter--she has terrible reflux. She has had since before elementary school--never could drink orange juice. She tried the organic apple cider vinegar and said it was HORRIBLE--very painful. I am sure it works for some, but I would suggest being very careful when you try it. I totally agree about the small babies and children.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How old is your daugher, Lisa Marie? If the cause for the condition is too little acid, as Becky mentioned, then adding some acid (perhaps diluted for some) should work. But if there are other causes for the problem, such as MSG ingestion, then drinking vinegar wouldn't help at all. In fact, if I get that old familiar feeling, ususally after eating something containing MSG or sulfites (found in most fruit drinks and orange juice), taking baking soda with water is the only thing that helps me.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, she is 30. She gets reflux even without MSG. She has been scoped about 3 years ago and her esophogus just does not close. If there is a non-surgical treatment for it, I would like to know. Not that she is having surgery--and if she considers that, I will try and talk her out of it. She is worried about side effects of multiple years of taking prevacid. Daily.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like a very serious condition, especially since she has had it since childhood. What have the doctors said about a surgical procedure?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb,
One doctor mentioned that there is a surgery to tighten up the muscle. I think that is a very serious surgery. The gastroenterologist she saw last summer felt that, as long as it is controlled by the medicine, she is okay. I am hoping to get another opinion form another gastorenterologist this summer. I know of one who specializes in women's health issues. Thanks for your input.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please keep us posted, Lisa Marie.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing about MSG is that it increases histamine. Histamine relaxes the muscle that closes the esophagus off from stomach acid.
MSG definitely excacerbates Reflux.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I truly believe that MSG is responsible for most of the acid reflux problems...an epidemic.
Anonymous

Posted From: 71.222.80.219
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would histamine also relax the gut and cause bowel control problems?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes...this was discussed some time ago. I think Carol addressed the histamine/MSG/ bowel disorder connection.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie, if you are still around the board here, I wanted to add something about the acid reflux. Not sure what your daughter has tried or done since you last posted about this a year ago, but I recently was diagnosed with low stomach acid and while I don't get acid reflux, that is a symptom of having low stomach acid.

I am now reading a book by an MD by name of Jonathan Wright called "Why Stomach acid is good for you" and he talks about why one should not take prevacid or other antacids and how to heal with natural supplements and diet. I highly recommend this book if you are not familiar with it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Stomach-Acid-Good-You/dp/0871319314

For low stomach acid one takes Betaine HCL w/Pepsin but I am leary of the Pepsin so I found one with Fenugreek in it instead of the Pepsin. I am starting super slow with it though as I am not sure if it'll burn my stomach or not (common for some), or if I'll have any type of msg reaction. It is in a gelatin capsule and I am not sure if I can pour it out and take it in olive oil or something, but I took half a capsule at lunch today and half of one at dinner and tonight my stomach is cramping and bloated - it is not the food as I eat the same things every day. Bitters herbs are also suggested and maybe I will have to start with that first. Has anyone else had any experience with the Betaine HCL/Pepsin or low stomach acid?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that lilnk Melinda. Yes, she knows about all the warnings with Prilosec, etc. She has heard of this theory. She has even tried the vinegar, but that made things intolerable for her. Do you also have a hiatal hernia? I will pass this on to her, thanks. Please let me know the name of what you end up taking. Is it called Betaine HCL/Pepsin when you go to buy it?
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have hiatal hernia - that I know of. I have low stomach acid and it causes all kinds of digetive issues including food allergies/sensitivities. I don't really get acid reflux I think because my diet is pretty bland and simple and I can't eat a whole lot, but have had issues with that in the past.

I bought Betaine HCL w/ Fenugreek by Natural Factors. I emailed them the other day to ask the source of their HCL as it can come from beets, but have yet to hear back from them. Most HCL comes with Pepsin (the one I have does not), but I thought that was a no no for msg sufferers....could be wrong. Not sure if your daughter has msg sensitivities and if not, the one with Pepsin I believe is preferred to help best. I need to see if any info on Pepsin is in Deb's book as far as it causing msg reactions....haven't seen any info here on it.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just added some additional information in my thread titled Betaine HCL & MSG about how I found confirmation that Betaine derives from beet sugar - not just in Natural Factors but all Betain from my understanding. Beets are high in glutmates so this may cause reactions in some.

I also added in that thread info about the bitters herbs I am taking to aid in production of stomach acids.

Lisa Marie, I wanted to add one more bit of info here that may be helpful for your daughter - and for anyone for that matter. Have you heard of HOLY TEA? I am just now doing some research on it and here below is a link....it looks like a great thing to add to the repetoire for anyone to aid in digestive health in addition to many other things it is good for - detox, allergies, weight loss, sleep issues, skin conditions, joint pain, etc.

http://www.htcholytea.com/web/wellclub/HTC_Product.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page