Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Database of Cosmetic and Personal Car...

Battling the MSG Myth » MSG/Excitotoxin Related Links » Database of Cosmetic and Personal Care Product Ingredients « Previous Next »

Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all -

I was having a chat with a coworker the other day about food additives and it turns out that he had recently done a research paper on cosmetics. He turned me on to this website:

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.org

In addition to rating the toxicity of thousands of cosmetic brands and products (and growing) many entries have a full listing of ingredients. This is a great way for us to figure out what's in our make-up, lotion, etc. without having to spend an hour reading labels in a store.

The good news is that I don't have to give up my lipstick - the bad news is that when I do wear mascara, I'm apparently applying carcinogens directly to my lashes! I wasn't worried about additives so much as far as glutamates go because I rarely wear make-up and when I do, I don't wear much. Now that's all out the window. lol. I was already planning on switching shampoo brands when I run out even though I have no obvious ill effects from it. Now that task should be a little easier.

Thought everyone would find this helpful in our indivdal quests for safe personal care products.
Judith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a great link, Courtney, thanks for posting it. What a time-saver it will be. Sometimes I feel like I need to hire an assistant to keep up with all the products and their continuous changes!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Courtney, I think I speak for all of us...we would be so grateful for a list of a few cosmetics and shampoos/toiletries and such that you found better than others.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll second that. I'm struggling to find any personal products. I did come across some soap and shampoo "bars" at mundoproducts.com and it seems to have the least offensive ingredients (the Mundo brand anyway). They do contain sodium hydroxide. Is that bad?
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't done a lot of research so far - just kind of looking for what I need as I need it. Shampoo is the first on my list as I was saying earlier, so that's where I started. The biggest difficulty was finding even all natural/organic products without soy. But I have found an entire product line that appears to be 100% safe. They even have fragrance-free products for those with fragrance issues.

http://www.terressentials.com

All ingredients are listed for each product and they're about the same cost as salon products (like Aveda which is apparently not all natural but pure evil). If the experts on the board could look over the ingredients and make sure I'm right, that'd be great, and we can add it to the safe products list.

They don't have hair conditioner but from what I'm gathering from their website, we wouldn't need it. My guess is that without all of the chemicals stripping our hair of nutrients, we wouldn't need to put them back in.

Next stop - deoderant.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren, I believe the sodium hydroxide is used to make the soap - a chemical reaction of fat and lye. So in my opinion it would be safe.

Courtney, Terressentials looks great to me! I haven't bought any of their products, so if you do , let us know if they are good. Also, for deodorant - I mix 1/2 cup of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of baking soda together with 1 tablespoon of ground sage and 1 tablespoon of ground rosemary and apply it with a sponge. It works great for me!
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought some unscented body butter, lip balm, and soap from this website:

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/

It's all great so far!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page