Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glutamate toxicity

Battling the MSG Myth » MSG/Excitotoxin Related Links » Glutamate toxicity « Previous Next »

Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Glutamate+toxicity

more documented glutamate tox
(scanning for info-heart off thyroid off)
Anonymous

Posted From: 24.161.49.70
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 1:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need advice bad..I am one of those who has now for over a year had about 10 episodes that are so horrific I could die easlily I believe.. everyting happens..I have been doing better trying to elimiminate etc but get trickes eating out especially though I order basic things now.. was in terrible pain all night.. severe abdominal pain for over 15 hours.. itching head to toe ringing ears heart racing respirations fast profuse dripping sweat eyes still burning,, extremee nausea migraine headache . instanly.. gushing water oming out of me every 29 minutes d. one of the worst episodes.. it is going to kill me .. one day.. I am still in the process of learning and .. 24 hours later now I am still sick as a dog a but getting through it absolutelt totally drained and exhausted and my head still feels awful.. any advice as who I can see for this? if its not an allergy..what do I do? what can I have on hand for an antedote? red clover? benedryl, I am not kidding I could easly be in the ER.. and probabkly should be,, but I try to ride it out..what is it doing to my brain? body? at wits end thx for any thoughts..
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I used to be as afraid of an exposure as you are. The only differences are that I have learned never to eat anything anywhere unless I am certain of the safety of every ingredient first, especially any seasonings, and that I always have three ibuprofen on me to arrest an escalating glutamate reaction.

The only way to be totally sure is to eat only what you've prepared yourself or brought with you, paying strict attention to the hidden names list, especially the items known to always contain free glutamate. See:

http://www.realfoodwholehealth.com/2011/05/excitotoxins-msg-and-hidden-names/
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, do you have our book? It truly is a survival guide for the beginner, with snack and traveling tips...and if someone has been trying to avoid MSG for less than a couple years, I consider that person a beginner! It was updated last year and it's helping thousands. But Roy is so right. You cannot rely on restaurants or processed foods for your mainstay...or even once in awhile, until you get a real handle on the hidden MSG lurking out there. Your reactions are serious, suggesting you have a low tolerance for MSG, even in small amounts. Your body also has a build up of excess glutamate, but this will decrease with time and care. No this is not an allergy...it's a poisoning and there are few doctors who understand this. I was put on allergy shots for years and nothing doctors gave me ever helped. Drink lots of water, take an antihistamine like benedryl..copy cat pills are better than the real liquid benedryl...and Ibuprofen. Start a food journal, noting how you feel each morning and evening, recording everything you eat and drink each day for a few weeks. When you feel off or have a severe reaction, circle any suspicious foods and avoid them. You can go back and check from time to time to find a common thread. I know this feels overwhelming, but you can do this. It does get easier, and one day you will get a better handle on this...arm yourself with more knowledge and know that you are not alone in this.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 5:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Annonymous, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Most of us here at the web site have lived through very similar experiences before we began doing exactly what Deb suggested. Please do get Deb's book and read it and re read it. Keep coming to this site and you will have friends to help you through this horrible ordeal. You will get better, I know that from experience. Be very careful in everything that goes into your mouth and on personal care items as well. I use organic pasta all the time with no problems and organic vegetables, organic eggs should be fine. Just get a few items and start from scratch . It is inexpensive to buy these items and you will get yourself cleaned up and then be able to think more clearly and do the things Deb suggested. I hard boil eggs and have them easily available to eat, that is important. If you cook some pasta and use organic butter or Kerrygold butter you can freeze portions and just get it out of the freezer as you need it. Do not over cook your food, it can be a problem for a person sensitive to MSG and it's many many cousins. By all means get Deb's book and you will be fine before you know it. I wish you the very best and will be looking for your posts. I look forward to seeing your words say. I am doing better. You can do this. Mariann
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 9:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And take taurine! Taurine counters glutatmate and if you have used up all your body's stores you have nothing to help stop the excessive neuro activity that glutamate causes. It is not a cure or a way to allow you to eat crap - but you body needs taurin to function normally and if ingesting excess glutamate has eaten it all up, you need to replenish your bodies stores. Nutrabio.com has the only american made taurine powder. You can't od on it, so I would start with a higher dosage - ie. 4-6Kmg. I split mine into two doses and take taking a larger dose at night. Probiotics to help recover from the diahrea and you can search up a number of other supplements that people here take regularly to stay in good health. Clean Food is #1, but the rest will help you recover.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 7:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll echo what others here are saying. I had eliminated all major sources of glutamates for my son for a couple of years before I started reacting even more sensitively than he does. I thought I knew what to do but because his diet is so simple, and because I was building up all his supplements/meds at the same time he has more tolerance. I kept thinking that of course things I ordered in restaurants, with my knowledge, would be safe, but they aren't. Even a small amount of whipping cream, fake butter, a seasoning mix that they don't know the ingredients to but swear it is all natural...etc.

You just can't trust ANY restaurant food for now (nor alcoholic beverages), I'm sorry to say. Nor things in a box. For your level of sensitivity and severity of reactions I would suggest you do Deb's test diet (www.msgmyth.com/test_diet.html) and work up, not work backwards trying to eliminate ingredients.

I totally get that it feels overwhelming. It won't feel that way forever. You will likely be able to eat out again, carefully, and it will become more normal and take a lot less effort. We now have about a dozen restaurants that I know I can find safe food at.

Hang in there, and keep posting. We all have lots of empathy to offer..
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 7:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more thing...in addition to my daily supplements, I have a box that I take if I start to get a migraine. It has ibuprofen, magnesium glycinate, 2 milk thistle (which I recently found is a glutamate blocker), and sometimes nettle or dandelion though I don't know if they do anything (they were recommended for other reasons). (On a side note, I didn't find a link between nettle and glutamate but I know there is a protective effect from K and apparently nettle is high in K: http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2011/04/healing-nettle-chicken-stock.html)

The mix will only help with mild, trace exposure though.

I should probably add Taurine into the mix -- does it help after exposure?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 6:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS, I can only speak from my own experience - and that is that Taurine helps me if I take it within about 12 hours of ingesting FGA.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't say either, because I take it regularly to keep the level stored in my body high enough to protect me from incidental exposure.
rachel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 6:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 13 year old daughter had her first seizure a little over 2 mths ago. She woke up and she had bit her tongue hard! And doesn't remember doing it. Her muscles were sore(like she just did a rough work-out) and had a headache. She remembers waking up and her arms and legs were stiff she couldn't move. Took her to her Dr. cause it sounded like she had a seizure in her sleep.
about 4 weeks ago she woke up with the same symptoms. Took her to the Dr. this time they referred her to a neurologist. She had an EEG done but we did not get back the results yet.
On 6/23 she woke up with the same symptoms at 7:00am, I had her go back to bed and checked on her at 8:00, she said it happened again! Now she was vomiting and her headache was severe. Got her to the Dr. She collapsed outside his office. She was seen and sent home. When we got home she laid down in my bed she was asleep 5 mins, I laid down with her and that is when She started having a grand mal seizure! I called 911. She ended up in the hospital for 4 days. She was dehydrated, and was placed on Dilantin. They also did an eeg for 3 days.
When I got home something told me to look at my bank account...
on 5/17 she ate Chinese food that restaurant did not cook with msg at all!
on 5/29 she ate Chinese food that place cooks with MSG 5/30 was her 2nd seizure and she saw the dr.
on 6/22 she ate Chinese food same place that cooks with MSG. 6/23 she suffered 3 seizures!
at the beginning of april she was at a friends house when she tried Chinese food for the 1st time, 4/11 she had her 1st seizure.

She had the 3 seizures in 1 day because that is the most Chinese food she has ever eaten! All the other times she only ate like 1 thing!

We have a neurologist apt 7/20 how the heck do I get him to listen to me about this?

Also how do I know if the seizures were a reaction to MSG, or a trigger for the seizures? I am so lost. I'm so scared for my daughter. I don't know which way to turn and who will listen to me! Help! I need to fix her!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 1:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may not be able to get the neurologist to listen to you about this, and if you do they will probably just try to medicate away the problem while not getting to the root of it. At most they will tell you she's "allergic" to something in Chinese food. Chinese restaurants often advertise "no MSG" while at the same time adding problematic soy sauce to their dishes. I get by okay by having them steam me something plain with no sauces or seasonings and avoiding the fried rice, soups and egg rolls.

American food is often not much better. I'd remove all major forms of MSG from her diet. Check your pantry against this list and watch what she eats outside the house. Then print it out and take it to the supermarket with you.
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 4:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rachel, I am so sorry your daughter is experiencing this and you too. Thank goodness you had the thought to look back and see what had been happening and she had been eating. Even if the doctor doesn't see the connection, you do, and that's more important (doctors don't know everything). He can possibly rule out any neurological problems through tests, and if you make sure she ingests no more MSG (or any of the 50 cousins) and she has no more seizures, you can be pretty sure what the cause was.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let us know how you make out.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 4:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachel, here's something else you may want to try in addition to glutamate avoidance while you're figuring things out.
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/treatment_Ketogenic_Diet
Rachel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 6:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if the seizures are triggered by MSG or if it is an reaction (like allergy)? Does anyone know of a specific test for this? I'm trying to get enough info. to bring to the neurologist apt when we go....
My daughter is currently taking Dilantin for now, has not ate Chinese food as is doing fine. No seizures
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachel,

Although I don't recommend giving your daughter MSG to see if it is actually the cause of her seizures, I had to do just that to prove to my doctor that MSG was the cause of my Atrial Fibrillation. I had experimented at home and knew that ingestion of as little as ½ tsp. of Accent would send me into A-Fib within 5 minutes

I went into his office while I knew I was in a normal sinus rhythm had him check my heart rate and then took the ½ tsp. of Accent. By the time we discussed other things about my health, I could feel the clammy feeling as my heart rate increased and soon I could feel the intermittent skips in my heart beats. Again he checked my heart and was convinced that I had indeed found the root cause of my A-Fib.

Accent Meat Tenderizer is a flavor-enhancing product that has long been used to improve the taste and tenderness of steaks, hamburgers and other meats. Instead of taking time to marinate meat or to pound or poke it for tenderizing, many cooks have chosen to streamline the process by sprinkling their meats with Accent meat tenderizer.

What is the main ingredient of Accent Meat Tenderizer?

Essentially, Accent Meat Tenderizer is powdered monosodium glutamate, or MSG.

Tom
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 2:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachel, MSG is a neurotoxin. Many of the same ingredients eaten in proximity to the seizures have most likely been consumed by your daughter either alone or in various combinations over the years without causing seizures. The circumstances make it clear to me that a lot of MSG spiked Chinese food eaten over a short period of time, rather than any allergy, is almost certainly what triggered these seizures. You are better off removing all major forms of MSG from her diet at all times as it is probably hurting her even when it is not obvious.
Rachel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 7:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would never give my daughter Chinese food ever again! I am afraid that the Dr. might want to do that in a hospital setting. I don't know how I would feel about that.
This is sooo hard to prove, I just hope the Dr's listen to me and take me seriously.
The Dr. I work for says the MSG just triggered the seizure...meaning she does have epilepsy or a seizure disorder. That is just his opinion. But there is something that is telling it's a reaction...She is just MSG sensitive....
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 1:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not convinced that your daughter would ever have seizures in the absence of MSG as there is no evidence that it has happened otherwise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7970002
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 2:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachel,

I agree with Roy. I think the reason that MSG is linked to so many different symptoms is because everyone is an individual and has susceptibilities to different toxins differently. My Atrial Fibrillation is triggered by MSG. Do I have an underlying propensity towards episodes of Atrial Fibrillation without MSG as a trigger? Perhaps. But if I avoid the trigger (which is not easy because of the way the food industry adds it to just about every product), I don’t experience the Atrial Fibrillation symptom.

The doctor you work for would have you medicating the symptom of the trigger rather than trigger avoidance – to doctors (and many other people), that is an easier solution and that is why many people become over medicated. :-(
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 7:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please keep us posted, Rachel. Tom and Roy have been on this board for years and have a lot of experience and knowledge, as most of the posters here do. I agree with all that they have suggested. As I suggested in email, it's a good idea to keep a food journal...may even convince a doctor of the dangers of so-called "safe" MSG. Be sure to avoid aspartame and l-cysteine, too...and please consider the test diet on our site.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 11:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachel, if MSG is giving her seizures, I would urge you to consider removing her from all major sources of glutamate. It's very possible that she has lessor reactions as well, that you don't know are connected. In my son, MSG is highly linked to mood issues, anxiety, and fatigue/overwhelm/stress intolerance. My MSG sensitivity exhibits only as migraines.

Here's my collected list of where to start, safe foods, etc: http://stroyan.net/lisasblog/2011/msg-excitotoxins-glutamate-and-fga-a-primer/
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Lisa. It was only on removing all msg from our diets that i was able to see just what symptoms we were suffering. Two of my children would suffer terribly with mood swings, depression, fatigue, noise intolerance. For me it would cause mood issues, insomnia, noise sensitivity and IBS. One of my children would suffer terrible insomnia too.....
Dude111
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 9:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was using some SUPPOSEDLY SAFE "FLOURIDE FREE" toothpaste that had these 2 ingredients

1) Carregeem (Or something spelled like this)

and

2) SODIUM COCOYL GLUTAMATE

My gums started aching,my teeth bothering me... My throat hurt when i swallowed,etc.......

WHO KNEW THAT TRYING TO AVOID FLOURIDE WOULD RESULT IN THIS!!!!!!

One of my teeth IS STILL BOTHERING ME and i havent used this GLUTAMATE crap in about a week now... I really wonder if this crap caused it!! (It started weeks after i was using this paste)

Then i was using TOMS toothpaste and even it has stuff that isnt good!

1) Carregeem
2) SODUM LARYL SULFATE

I believe I found a totally NATURAL toothpaste today

http://www.earthpaste.com

Here are the ingredients

"Purified Water,Food Grade Redmond Clay,Xylitol,Redmond Real Salt,Lemon Essential Oil,Lemon Verbana Essential Oil,Tangerine Essential Oil,Lime Essential Oil"

WHEN I SAW "GLUTAMATE" ON THE INGREDIENTS WEEKS AGO I WASNT GONNA GET IT BUT I FIGURED I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY........ I WISH I HAD LISTENEND TO MY INSTINCTS!!!!!

Boy was I having some kind of reaction to it!! -- For 3 days i took 3 VITAMIN C TABLETS TO TRY AND GET OVER IT (1500 MG) -- FINALLY MY THROAT CALMED DOWN,ETC.....
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 6:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dude111, the first toothpaste sounds like the reformulated "Burt's Bees", which used to be safe. Some "Tom's of Maine" products are also a problem. The "Earthpaste" sounds like a good find.

http://www.earthpaste.com/frequently-asked-questions/
Dude111
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 3:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that paste is called "Antiplaque Toothpaste" (Fennel,Propolis and Myrrh) It says ALL NATURAL which is BS!!

I found it @ Trader Joes! -- i emailed them and complained about this crap in supposedly SAFE/NATURAL toothpaste but they didnt reply back! (Not surprisingly)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Dude111. They're building a new Trader Joe's near me. Whenever I see the "Natural" label I read the ingredients list just the same.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 9:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good its important to buddy!!!!!!

All kinds of crap THAT DOESNT NEED TO BE THERE!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page