Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)...

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) « Previous Next »

Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Roy,
My name is Molly and I am wondering if you could lead me to a site where I can purchase Turmeric that would be safe with out any msg.
I have arthritis and want to do something besides any drugs which I have yet to do.
I also need some B supplements and do not want to take any with msg in them. I'd like to try the B12 espeacially. Thank you for any help you can give.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Molly,

For some reason I get arthritis relief from Indian food, where it is used in curries, but not from taking turmeric supplements, sold in the "joint health" section of health food stores. Turmeric can also be found in the spice section of many supermarkets and is probably safer because it is not in capsules. I suspect that either the supplements don't contain enough turmeric to make a difference, or there may be something else in Indian food that's helping, possibly ginger.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/turmeric-the-magical-antioxidant-and-anti-inflammatory-spice.html
Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I went to the web page and it looks like it is an oil that you can rub in the skin? However, I am unsure why they say to (Consult an aromatherapist before using essential oils)
Do you use an oil at all? Or do I just buy the spice itself and put it in my food.
Did taking MSG out of your diet help at all with the arthritis?
I really want to find natural ways to help my arthritis. I am 50 and feel I am a bit young to have this. I pray I can find natural ways to help with the inflamation.
Thank you for an info you can give me.

Consult an aromatherapist before using essential oils
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Molly,

I don't use topical treatments for arthritis. I would suggest trying the spice in your food. With Indian food I experience a marked improvement. I've avoided MSG since I was a child because of other type reactions, so at age 54 I have no experience with how its elimination would affect arthritis. Accidental ingestions makes me dizzy or black out. I take ibuprofen to reverse MSG reactions, which would make arthritic symptoms less obvious.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a couple of really good recipes with turmeric and ginger!

RECIPE #1
Eggplant Curry
This is so good! This recipe is easily adaptable to what ingredients you have on hand. I substituted curry powder for the turmeric, mustard, ginger and cinnamon. I also substituted bell pepper for the tomatoes. If you want to avoid the nightshade vegetables, you could make it with cauliflower and string beans (and skip the baking step).

This recipe comes from the book Choose Your Foods Like Your Life Depends on Them, written by Colleen Huber, NMD.

Ingredients:
2-3 medium size eggplants
2 potatoes
2 tomatoes
1/4 lb. (1 stick) of butter or 8 T. coconut oil
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
2-3 cloves garlic

Directions:
Cube the eggplant, and bake one hour in the oven, spread out on baking sheets.
Cube the potatoes. In a large pot on the stove, melt the butter and add all spices. Stir and saute the spices a few minutes until bubbly and fragrant. Add the eggplant and potatoes, and toss well until evenly coated with the spices. Then add 3 cups water and cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer. Stir occasionally for about 45 minutes. Remove the cover. Chop tomato and toss into curry.

RECIPE #2
Dal Saag (Indian lentils and spinach)
1 cup toor dal (or any yellow lentils or dal)
4 cups chicken broth (I use water & sea salt)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp turmeric
3/4 of a 10oz package of frozen spinach
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 small onion, coaresly chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 small serrano chile, seeded and minced (I use cayenne pepper to taste)
2 tsp ground cumin
10 fresh curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
1 large tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste

In a large saucepan, combine the lentils with 3 cups chicken broth, ginger and
turmeric and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over moderate heat,
stirring occasionally, until the lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes.

Transfer 1 cup of the lentils to a food processor and puree until smooth.
Return the puree to the saucepan, add remaining cup of stock and the frozen
spinach. Slowly break down the spinach and bring to a simmer. Season with salt,
cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, about 15 minutes.

In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and
cook, shaking the pan, until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds. Add the onion
and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic
and serranos and cook for 1 minute. Add cumin and curry leaves and cook until
fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato and cook, stirring, until softened, about
7 minutes. Stir the tomato mixture into the lentils and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the lemon juice, season with salt and serve.

Serves 6

Note: This should be served with Indian seasoned rice.

Recipe #3
Turmeric Tea (or Daily Detox Tea)
Turmeric tastes okay by itself, but adding the ginger and lemon makes it taste a little better, in my opinion.
Turmeric and ginger are both anti-inflammatories.
I love the taste of this tea.

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. powdered turmeric
1 T. pure maple syrup
juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions:
Boil the water. Add the ginger and turmeric and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain tea into a mug. Add maple syrup and lemon juice. Stir and drink warm.
Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have made a "pill" by mixing together in equal amounts, cinnamon, tumeric, and enough organic apple sauce to bind together. You can sweeten, if you like. I made into long ropes and cut into pieces. You just put them in a warm oven on trays to dry. I made them before Christmas because I read about their healthy properties. Adding ginger would be good, too. I admit, they were too rough and big to swallow, so I mash them first. But now I think I will just add them to hot water along with some ginger and lemon. Thanks for the tips! Nice to find an anti-inflammatory ingredients in the pantry...plus ginger is so good for many reasons.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page