Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Anyone have Multiple Chemical Sensiti...

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Anyone have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? « Previous Next »

Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I developed a caffiene allergy or sensitivity whatever, and when I quit caffiene my heart palpatations and muscle weakness went away.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, are you certain it is the caffeine? I ask because it could be chemicals used in processing the coffee or perhaps the beans were sprayed while growing. I only use organic coffee and don't seem to react but if I get a cup of regular joe (not organic) at a coffee shop, I will get an immediate reaction....which I just recently made the connection. I don't know if it is worth it to you to try the organic type of coffee to see if you have a reaction or not but just wanted to mention this as a possibility.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh and while in this thread....regarding the original poster's question of MCS, I notice that when in the midst of MSG reaction, I will find my chemical sensitivities heightened and am much more sensitive to everything - food and chems. I have the mcs regardless if having an msg reaction, but it's definitely worse. I figured it had to do with the compromised immune system and inflammation as mentioned in one of the above posts, so it was interesting to read this.

Phyllis, if you are still lurking around the board here - it's been a long while since you originally posted this topic - how are your symptoms doing these days?

I did not know about ammonia after being smelled turns to glutamate in the brain! I don't use ammonia in my home but do have cats who have peed on the carpets. We clean them with natural enzymes and regular soap and water which does help considerably - but is hard to really rid it completely of smells, especially if they keep peeing in same spot.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany,

I also have a profound sensitivity to caffeine, whether it is from coffee or tea. I get heart palpatations, chest pressure, headache, itchy scalp and other symptoms. However, if I drink a cup of some restaurants decaf I get joint pain. So I stick to organic decaf at home - occasionally just one cup in the a.m. because even it has a little caffeine in it. If I happen to be having a flare up of pain I need to stay away from any decaf beverage.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting Dianne about the caffeine. Do you know what it is about caffeine itself that causes a reaction in some? I sappose it is much like any food allergy and your body simply can not handle the substance for whatever reason, but I'd be interested to know if there is some "scientific and biological" explanation. I have not noticed any ill effects from organic regular caffeinated coffee, so for me as I mentioned earlier I felt the reaction I did have when having coffee in a restaurant or at a coffee shop that wasn't organic was due to chemicals in regular coffee processing....but that is just a guess :p
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a wealth of info out there, including scientific, but I just reference the following from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Arabica coffee normally contains less caffeine than the robusta variety.

Caffeine is a central nervous system and metabolic stimulant, and is used both recreationally and medically to reduce physical fatigue and restore mental alertness when unusual weakness or drowsiness occurs. Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system first at the higher levels, resulting in increased alertness and wakefulness, faster and clearer flow of thought, increased focus, and better general body coordination, and later at the spinal cord level at higher doses.

I found that after drinking a lot of coffee for 10 years I began to develop symptoms. So I suppose I just reached my saturation point (like I did with MSG) and began to react.
James D.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read that Caffiene increases the glutamate response. It sure seems to be true based on my experience. Caffiene in any form seems to cause me to be more free glutamate sensitive.

I think a lot of coffees have free glutamate in it already, so it beomes a double whammy.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote: "I think a lot of coffees have free glutamate in it already, so it becomes a double whammy".

I did not know this....have been drinking coffee for eons and never made any connections to my reactions. But recently I think my msg pot over-floweth and therefore the coffee isn't helping. Also would explain why I've been reacting to many foods that I didn't react to previously (natural and organic foods) - I ate something or several things that I shouldn't have and now I am "full" and therefore much more sensitive to even the natural foods.

James I think it was you in another thread that mentioned you react to alot of other things that are "natural" like broccoli, almonds, carrots. I did not know those foods had free glutamate in them? (guess I need to do some more research). I eat those foods daily and like I said, did not have problems from them before. Yikes....what to eat now...what to eat. *sigh*
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh and forgot to add....I didn't start having all these msg reactive problems to natural foods until after I was exposed to some construction chemicals - we had a bathroom retiled and the contractor used a thinset that had a moldicide in it (which I was unaware of). However, we had the tiles and walls with thinset torn out due to the job having been done incorrectly but that was a blessing in disguise because now we can have it redone with a safer thinset without additives. Scientifically I can't describe it here, but have been reading up on mcs and glutamate response in the brain and body (after chem exposure), so it makes a little more sense.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many almonds (and other nuts) are now being sprayed to guard against salmonella...as per FDA orders..people are reacting to this chemical. Some organic fertilizers, pesicides contain free glutamate...there are new ones being develped for the organic farmer that have minerals "chelated" to free amino acids (glutamate, aspartate...the cheapest and most readily available) so that they cross the root wall easily. Perfect-Blend is one such new fertilizer. It is causing problems for the young son of one of my son's patients, we believe..his dad is a farmer and uses it all the time. Other popular organic ferilizers are hydrolyzed fish and feather meal or liquids...farmers are buying it by the tanker load. My advice...plant a garden next year and freeze and can! :-)
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb for that info....didn't know about the organic fertilizers. It's extremely disconcerting that even organically farmed foods can cause problems now! I wonder if there are any organizations that are fighting against use of these natural fertilizers? It'd have to be a group who is against msg obviously and I haven't done enough research to know if there are actually anti-msg groups out there fighting food companies and now organic farmers from using msg - even in hidden forms.

Not one to be an "activist", I am more and more feeling the need to be heard ever since I found out about the almonds and how it doesnt' have to be disclosed that they use PPO - different situation than msg, but still.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 9:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI, i just wanted to post this for anyone else that may have a child with msg sensitivity. I am fast learning that my msg sensitive child is what i would term Chemical Sensitive. In particular, of late, i have had spells of severe disruption to her behaviour. Everytime i know that she hasnt consumed anything out of the ordinary. Ive realised now that she is very sensitive to sulfites (sulphites ??? sp??). Dried fruits that arent organic are a trigger for her. The most recent episode was as a result of eating non organic raspberries from the US and cranberries (also from the US) Im thinking these had sulfites? So just a heads up to be careful of sensitive children with non organic fruits. If anyone could offer any information on just what these fruits may have been treated with id be happy to learn more. Thanks Ali
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too, am allergic to sulfites, as many other MSG victims are. Some countries in Europe refuse to buy American dried fruit since it is high in sulfites. It can go unlabeled if the parts per million are under a certain amount. Fruit juices are also a problem, unless organic.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 6:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Deb. I had a horrible experience with dried fruit. I made mince pies and Christmas and my youngest loved them. Unfortunately id not used organic and well, she was most hyper and antsy. She had a rough time of it. Her eczema flared up to. I actually think she is more sensitive to sulfites than msg. So far ive been okay with fruit juices, so long as they are cold pressed and not from concentrate.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Deb. I had a horrible experience with dried fruit. I made mince pies and Christmas and my youngest loved them. Unfortunately id not used organic and well, she was most hyper and antsy. She had a rough time of it. Her eczema flared up to. I actually think she is more sensitive to sulfites than msg. So far ive been okay with fruit juices, so long as they are cold pressed and not from concentrate.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ali, I have heard that non-organic berries have high pesticide residues too. I'd imagine those residues are still on the dried berries too. Do you think that could be a trigger also?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 2:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes definately Di. I have had issues with none organic kiwis. She likes to eat the skin! (eeeuw!!) If i buy organic i let her, but if its non organic i have to peel and chop it for her. If she eats the skin of non organic kiwis she gets very hyper, agitated and doesnt eat or sleep. So horrible and confusing for a small child. She is just three and cant articulate how she feels or why. But her sister who is now coming up to six, can quite clearly tell when her behaviour is affected by her food. She is very astute. She refuses party food at her classmates parties as she say "she doesnt like coming home all hot, angry and too awake!" Thats her description of how convenience foods make her feel!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 2:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She is a very lucky little girl to not only have an astute mom but an astute sister as well to help take care of her.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 11:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard from people who react to the vegetable wax sprayed on tons of produce. If you look at broccoli, you'll notice a hazy finish. If you swish it in a bowl of warm sudsy water and rinse, it is dark green. If you just rinse broccoli with water, the haze still remains. I'm sure they spray fruit like kiwi for shipping, too. Those sprays contain hydrolyzed vegetable gums/waxes and dangerous chemicals that act as preservatives.
I paid $5.00 for a quart of organic strawberries yesterday. The non-organic ones were $2.99. The grocer stocking the strawberries told me he had tasted both and the organic ones were amazing..and he told me strawberries are the worst for pesticides...good to hear that from a grocer.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 12:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your kind words Di.x
Deb- i knew that lemons and limes had hydrolyzed gums sprayed on them to make them shiny. I try to buy organic but its difficult to find a supply sometimes. I do wash all my fruit in water. What do you use for sudsy water and does it not flavour your vegetables?
We dont tolerate non organic strawberries at all. You are right in what you say, there are few crops as heavily treated with pestisides as strawberries. I doubt even washing will rid them of pestisides.
I just found out recently that it is common practice here in Ireland to spray all conventional wheat crops with glyphosphate up to seven days before harvesting! WHY??? Needless to say all my flour and wheat cereals were promptly changed to organic. I use organic most of the time but now its all of the time for wheat!
Its such a mindfield out there. Im growing even more veg this year than last and think i will have a go at strawberries too...how hard can it be??
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use an all natural (supposedly) dish detergent that I buy at Costco. I've also used baking soda in the water and that works well, too. I just rinse very well to avoid any soap flavor. I am hearing more and more from people who are turning to organic produce and wheat. It's good to know there is a growing awareness of GMOs and pesticides by the public. Yep, we're also going to increase the size of our garden now that Mike is retired. Food chemicals are poison. I recently "poisoned" myself. We had been eating safely at a Thai restaurant for 2 years...about 5 dishes that I could eat without a problem. I had never tried Phad Thai, which is rice noodles, egg, onion and crushed peanuts..which I didn't eat. The sauce was unusual..sweet,tangy. I was half way through it and felt pain in my lower stomach and stopped eating. At home, I felt indigestion, then woke the next morning with a headache...hadn't had a true MSG and perhaps sulfite reaction in years. It took 4 days to run its course. Once in awhile, I guess it's good to be humbled!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 6:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've all been there with accidental "poisoning".
You just cant have a day off from being vigilant can you? I have been getting itchy calfs sporadically in the evenings...just once a week or so. SO annoying. I couldnt figure out what it was. My husband was filling the deepfat frier the other night and i noticed he had a different make of oil to our usual coldpress organic sunflower oil. That explains the itchy skin (it feels like something is crawling under my skin!) He cooks one evening a week, always chips in the deep fat fryer!! He always buys the oil for the fryer. He just hadnt realised their could be so much differnce in oil.
Even when eating in our local Italian that does wonderful pasta dishes, i check his spices everytime. He thinks im bonkers, but ive been bitten so many times. And then there is the "new improved recipes" on the few prepacked foods i buy. I read the label every time now....its worth the effort to be well.
Ill try washing fruit and veg in the detergent. I use an eco detergent. Not sure that is all natural. I will investigate before i put my food in it, and try and find a completely natural one. Thanks for the info. :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, there is a lot of deception out there where you're not expecting it. For example:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/16/toxic-chemicals-in-green-cleaning-products.aspx

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page