Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Insomnia and/or facial tightness?

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Insomnia and/or facial tightness? « Previous Next »

kathy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm so glad to find others that have the symptoms that my son has...at 20 years old he has had the feeling of a balloon expanding in his head (or a tight band around his head) for over 3 years. He has trouble focusing and is tired most of the time. All of his medical tests have come back normal. He has been on the test diet for 2 weeks now and is not feeling any different yet. I'm looking for some input as to how long it might take to feel a difference. We feel we may have found the source of his troubles, but it is hard to keep your spirits up when you don't see a difference...
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, Some people notice a difference quicker than others. Sometimes it is a slow and gradual process - it may take quite a while to heal the damage that MSG has done. But being on a diet devoid of free-glutamates will make you much healthier even before you may notice the benefits. I hope your son begins to feel better soon.
kathy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne, thank you for your response. We have had such a hard time being taken seriously. From neurologists to naturopaths, nobody had any idea what could cause this feeling of tightness in the head, and not a single person suggested MSG. I read an article about MSG quite by accident and finally found symptoms that were similar to my sons'. I'm so grateful for this website and Deb's book!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems next to impossible to find any doctors that know much about MSG or it's cousins. A lot of folks find this site after being symptomatic for a long time but thank goodness for the internet and Deb's (and a couple other) site. Thirty years ago when my symptoms first surfaced there was almost no information out there, I just had to do a lot of guessing. Sure wish I had had the references and support from this great board back when.
Amanda S.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I often experience facial tingling after eating msg. Does anyone else have this same problem? It is almost as if my face tingles and then feels numb.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, is your son taking any meds or vitamins or supplements of any kind? Often these can be the cause of reactions, since they contain fillers and binders and even coatings that contain glutamate. Protein drinks and powders are out. Do you have complete control of what he eats thoughout the day?..lunches can be a downfall if they are not sent from home. I found that by eating leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day at work, I was never tempted to make mistakes that often lead to bad reactions. It's good to keep homemade goodies in the freezer for snacks, too.
kathy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you all know, this is a learning process and we've been trying to eliminate all glutamate, however, every time we think his diet is clean, we find out about something else he shouldn't eat. He was taking supplements and protein drinks, but not in the last 2 weeks. Fortunately, he is very on board with this program, he's read about it and really identifies with some of the symptoms. I am making almost all his food now.
Kathy
PS T was sensitive to dyes and perfumes when he was younger, and I thought he outgrew the sensitivity, but I've read this could also be an excitotoxin reaction?!
Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also don't forget to eliminate sulfites too. They can make MSG sensitivity worse in some people. There is a web page on it as well as what's in Deb's book.

Jennifer
Sleuth JohnB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy and Son, How many of the 32 symptoms listed on the MSGMYTH home page is your son experiencing? Pick a number 5, 12, 20 that you feel represents a sure "diagnosis" of his problems being MSG related. Remember the success the medical field has given you in identifying the problem...almost none: normal test and no recommendations for relief.

Sadley, it has taken you years to get to the point of being so poisoned by MSG that he is sick. It will take time to get well. Hopefully not years. Most people see amazing relief (and setbacks when we back slide) within 2,4 or 6 weeks.

Sometimes we do not have a single symptom so severe that we get relief in just two weeks. You might consider going directly on the "Caveman Diet". It consists of all the good foods a primative man might eat: clean meats, vegatables, fruits, nuts, eggs. NOTHING processed or cooked in a factory. Almost anything that has not been processed. Do an archive search on the Caveman Diet. Begin changing the way you eat now, you will probalby love it for the rest of your life.
kathy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your wonderful comments-they are very much appreciated. You make some very good, clear points...my son does have at least 12 symptoms from the list. And he is sick. He would do anything not to feel the pressure that he feels constantly in his head. We will be looking into the Caveman Diet.
Kathy
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, I'm so glad you mentioned sulfites. That's another additive that trips most of up here. Kathy, be sure to read the chapter about this other dangerous food additive, one that is outlawed by most of the other nations in the world. It's in so many foods and makes an MSG reaction twice as bad. And be sure to be easy on yourself if you make a mistake this first year...yes, there is a lot of good information to learn and it takes time to get a good handle on this new and healthier way to eat. I commend your son for recognizing the importance of this change in his eating style. He's lucky to have you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page