Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Nightmares

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Nightmares « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 76.10.156.83
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Garlic has high levels of free L-Glutamic acid. In fact, this is the first food I noticed a sensitivity to MSG. I first thought I was allergic to garlic. But I didn't really seem to have a histamine response, but rather a flushed feeling and sweating around my eyes.

See the link below. Total glutamate (bound & free) in garlic is around 30% and total free amino acid can range from 1100-3100 mg/100g, thus total free L-Glutamic acid would range from 300-1000mg/100g. This means it can be almost as high as Parmesan cheese.

Real shame too because I love garlic and it's in almost everything.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=181468
Anonymous

Posted From: 209.204.178.27
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the bright side, it's tough to eat 100g of garlic. One or two cloves for a batch of food is usually enough to me. It's interesting that you found that - before finding out about MSG, I thought I may have had a garlic allergy too.

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are one of the people who are extremely sensitive, than garlic may bother you. But compared to many other foods, especially when you consider the quantity you might consume, it is quite low in glutamate - at least according to the chart I looked at. I am glad I am not super sensitive, because garlic is soooo tasty and good for you too.
anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 7:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a pattern of waking up from nightmares with paranoid thoughts, and it seems like this comes after eating imitation meat in the evening. I found out that some imitation meat is mostly nutritional yeast and wheat gluten, so this kind could be especially high in glutamate. So maybe glutamate is causing nightmares and paranoia in my case.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 10:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon, Disturbing thoughts are not fun and, yes, it is possible from something you ate. Different people get nightmares from eating different things at dinner (not just free-glutamic acid or MSG). The only sure way to know is trial and error. If it happens repeatedly, then you can be pretty sure what the culprit is.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 8:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Anon. Bad dreams are a common reaction to MSG. I hear it regularly from people who are MSG reactive. Children, especially, react this way to MSG...night terrors and insomnia, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page