Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Brand new to MSG awareness

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Brand new to MSG awareness « Previous Next »

Kem
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a relief in a way to see that others also feel overwhelmed in the beginning. Daunting is not a strong enough word to describe the appearance of this road before me.

Severe migraines, IBS, fibromyalgia, itching skin, light headedness are just some of my symptoms. I have been following a gluten free and mostly grain free diet for a couple of months now and am maybe slightly better but not enough to call it a win. After reading about MSG issues, this seems the next thing to tackle.

My first question would be are all sea salts and kelp products filled with MSG even the organic ones? The next question is concerning vitamin D3 which I have used a lot of over the last 3 or 4 years. It has helped me go from 4 or 5 colds per year to 0 most years.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think sea salt is OK but not sure about kelp. I'm medium-sensitive (e.g., react to maltodextrin, malted barley, but not citric acid) and I have never reacted to sushi as long as we are careful about ingredients (the most common issue is eel sauce, and some add MSG to miso soup). But, I avoid seaweed as an "ingredient in a processed food.

For vitamins probably the most important thing is to look at inactive ingredients. The D3 should be fine. But watch out for added stuff -- many mineral formulas *add* glutamic acid.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 12:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kem, Yes, it did seem a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but if you take it little by little, each day/week will become much easier and eventually will be routine. Some people are 'super' sensitive and cannot tolerate supplements in capsules...free glutamic acid in the capsule itself. I take D3 in liquid drop form, by Carlson. I don't react to sea salts (as long as that is all that is in there). Stick with it, it will be well worth it.
Kem
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you LisaS and Di, my main goal right now is to get the migraines under control and I'm not even sure if MSG is the culprit but I do know it is dangerous so want to get rid of it in any case.

I know sulfites are a big problem for me. I've been checking labels for added sugar and for gluten free products for a while now but the many names for MSG will take me a while to learn.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 3:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kem, Sometimes it takes quite a while to be 100% confident about a trigger or cause of a malady. There are so many variables in our lives, that it helps to keep a log of daily activities and diet for months. Even then, sometimes it can be tough. I know for me I can get away with some foods in small quantities, but if I combine the same foods with other certain foods I'm in big trouble. Anyway, now that I'm off all FGA I feel better than I have for years....all the trouble to change my diet has been so worth it.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 9:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In case it helps, I'll share my migraine/glutamate connection. In hindsight I was moderately sensitive for years, but didn't know it. I thought it was mercury and knew milk thistle helped, but that was about it. I even knew that sometimes my eyes went kind of wonky, but because I have a half hour (almost can set a clock by it) between the ocular effects and the migraines, I didn't make that connection either. But after getting very bad ocular migraines twice after eating restaurant food with MSG, somehow I triggered a high level of sensitivity. (we realized previously that our son is quite sensitive so I knew what to do) and I started getting mild non-ocular migraines 3-4x a week. It was miserable.

Now, it only takes a trace of the ingredients I react to to give me a headache the next day. I think it comes on the next day simply due to overnight drop in blood sugar which adds fuel to the fire. Rarely, it will start the same day.

There were times I thought it couldn't possibly be glutamate because I had eliminated "everything" but then I would find another source that I had missed, plus removing most will make your more sensitive to the rest, so I had that going on too. But I only get migraines, and they are mild, about once every 3 months, and I can always trace it back now.

So I would encourage you to keep at it for a while...maybe even try Deb's test diet for a week or two?
Amy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am new to this..my breakdown happened while in Vegas on vacation for my birthday in April. I am high sensitivity in that my heart starts racing get palpitations skip beats and my blood pressure drops. My lymph nodes in neck and top of breasts swell and get sore. Hands feet tingle. Left arm tingle . Left side mouth goes tingly them totally numb. I am only able to eat few foods currently from three different stores. Organic blueberries, bananas, peaches, frozen cherries, spinach, collard greens, grass fed meat. I tried wild salmon think I did ok going try again. Tried other fruit and vegetables no luck. I think it is fertilizer. Cant find organic farmer that doesnt use hydrolyzed fish or corn husks or dairy manure here by Chicago. Ive tried rice no luck. Nervous not finding more food. Friends and family dont understand too much. Boyfriend and I broke up. Looking for some help.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amy,
Don't lose hope. I think that your reaction to a lot of those foods (the ones that don't contain MSG) is temporary. I have read about this on these message boards--for example I've seen people on here with leaky gut that react to just about everything. Many claim that soy is to blame for damaging their intestines. Anyway, as your body heals itself you will be able to eat a wider variety of food. Stay with it! :-)
AdaLovelace
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 5:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amy, I don't know if you could plant a few veggies yourself (at least in a few pots if not a backyard garden). I've found this helpful and gives me a better variety of organic food.
Gary in Sooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 10:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy. In continued research into this whole subject, it begins to look as if fasting, particularly the water fast, can get your system back in it's optimum state. As AdaLovelace says, some of what you are experiencing may be temporary, and I am now thinking along the lines that it is MSG at the root of many problems such as dairy and gluten intolerance, and that once the MSG problem is eliminated that the other problems will be eliminated too.
Being careful about what you consume is good of course, but fasting to the point where Ketosis occurs causes new stem cells to be created, and these new stem cells then develop into new versions of the cells that have been damaged by the MSG toxicity.
Still looking into fasting, but it seems we should all do it once or twice a year, not just to eliminate the toxins, but to renew the defective cells. There also seem to be good effects on consciousness that fasting produces, and was encouraged in Biblical times as a way to purify ourselves to better able to communicate with the Holy spirit.
Perhaps fasting is a good place to start, and then to be careful about avoiding MSG once you start eating again. If you have anything like the success in clearing up numerous ailments that I did, you won't regret the fast one little bit.
Amy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 11:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for responses....hydrolyzed in fertilizer is form of glutamates. Ive thought about trying start a garden but no yard really here in city...maybe I will try plants however when they get too big for pot idk where put them and I have no green thumb...but I will try. Gary I did the fast in April when I first was sick...I lost 24 pounds in three weeks. I am now doing little better since then and have maintained my weight for last five weeks on the foods I listed. Vitals are doing somewhat better just wish my oxygen level was little higher.
Gary in Sooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 12:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy, just wondering if you did the water fast, as I read that fruit or vegetable juice or other types do not have the same effect, as they still contain enough nutrition to prevent the Ketosis effect kicking in. I was jut reading about a coconut water fast, and that is what I relied on for fluids as soon as I could keep anything down.
The only thing I could see in the list of what you are presently eating that might have some effect on you is the red meat. I tried one small steak when I was feeling a bit better, and my lips got hot and dry and burned for about 5 hours afterwards. Looking into that, it seems that the product they spray on the cutting tables for sanitation contains an excitotoxin, and it gets onto the meat during cutting. Chicken has been my only meat for a while now, and I just read about how chicken consumption can reduce the risk of stroke considerably. I'm not sure with chicken feed as to whether any MSG etc. in the food would be passed through in the eggs or meat, but I have been eating a lot of eggs and have had no problems, in fact eggs are what put me back on the road to recovery once I could eat again.
Your lymph node swelling, if it is after eating, is a sign of an allergic reaction, and what I have been doing is eating foods by themselves for a day or two before I include them in the diet I am slowly building up, as sometimes a combination of foods will have a different effect than just the one food by itself. I just added red kidney beans to my diet, they seem fine and also seem to be health beneficial in a number of ways, as well as being quite filling and relatively cheap.
Amy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 7:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary..yes the lymph swelling is a sign of allergic reaction. I had it tonight after trying eat an avocado :-(
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 8:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

avocado reaction can be from a latex allergy or from too much copper

can you eat bananas? papaya? other tropical items?
Gary in Sooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 5:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy, boy, not whole lot of stuff left for you to eat is there? Another item I found good, and I have heard of nobody having an allergic reaction to, is hemp seed hearts, very nutritious, essential oils, easy to digest, and if necessary, you could live on them by themselves. Not the most interesting thing to eat, but they can be mixed with just about anything, I put them in my (whole milk) yogurt, and also in the oatmeal raisin cookies I have been making.
Amy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 6:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can eat bananas yes...I haven't tried papaya cant find an organic one. I have been reading on essential oils last few days very interesting. What do you think? Never heard of hemp seed hearts will look into them thank you. Tried salmon again heart raced lil bit..had the burping but I ate it and live thru it. It tasted good and I wanted the nutrients lol.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 2:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hemp hearts are great sprinkled on salads or blended in the Vitamix with green smoothies!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page