Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Humpty Dumpty

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Humpty Dumpty « Previous Next »

HeatherC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 11:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what symptoms I don't have ... but the last year has been especially bad. Heart problems, muscle issues, seizures, fatigue ... the hospital should put my name on a wing at this point. Most recently I dug into my pockets for a neurotranmitters test and found out that my glutamate levels are through the roof which I don't understand. I only eat organic 99.9% of the time, rarely eat out, and never touch items with more than three ingredients or that has been processed. I have celiac so I am really careful. Most of my transmitters were wonky but I am focusing on trying to lower the glutamate right now.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 10:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Heather, welcome to the boards. Have you looked at the "master list" of glutamate ingredients? I use this one: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Do you have Deb's book yet? It's out electronically now.

Don't use random lists on the internet especially if they say things like mushrooms and peas are the biggest problems. The major offender is free glutamate, not bound.

If there is even one (for example: carageenan in dairy or malted barley flour in flour) that you rely on a lot, it could be the culprit.

Organic processed foods that some people think of as staples often have glutamate, e.g., broth, but food that you make totally from scratch is usually safe.

If all that is not the issue, I wonder if it's possible to be an endogenous producer. You might consider a bunch of glutamate-balancing supplements if you can tolerate them: high amounts of magnesium, some P5P, Vitamin K, Taurine, etc...(we should have a master list somewhere!) Add them slowly though. You can also trial a glutamate blocker; my son is on memantine and it has virtually no side effects for him, just don't substitute it for diet.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 10:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(P.S. On the oxalate list, endogenous producers produce their own oxalate in too high of quantities and can't get relief from diet alone. I'm entirely speculating about glutamate, but since we all produce it, couldn't there be defects in the conversion or regulation mechanisms that make it get really high? It's been a while since I looked at the whole cycle.

Oh -- it's also possible that there is something wrong "downstream" from using up the glutamate, so that it gets super high in your blood rather than getting used properly.

But honestly, every person but one that has told me "but I eat only whole foods" has found some major sources of glutamates when they started looking. Whole foods aren't always "added ingredient free" :-) And it only takes a little.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 8:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HeatherC, it's really important for you to learn all the hidden sources of free or processed glutamate. We have upgraded our list of hidden sources using some from the truthinlabeling site..in our new e-book. It would be a tremendous help for you. We will soon upgrade the list in our hard book. The book is a real survival guide for beginners. Just know you are not alone and we are here to help.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 3:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Memantine has also been studied for use in helping children with Down Syndrome:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/31/magazine/a-fathers-search-for-a-drug-for-down-syndrome.html?pagewanted=3&_r=3&emc=eta1&
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 8:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's very interesting...thank you for sharing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page