Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Migraines & MSG connection

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Migraines & MSG connection « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 173.188.64.190
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2012 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get what may be one of the more common reactions to msg--migraines. They started very suddenly about 13 years ago. Only my MSG od migraines aren't just any migraines, they're doozies. Severe headache for a week that absolutely no meds will touch, plus 24 hour to 48 hour flu-like symptoms. Yuck. Believe me, I've tried everything--tylenol helps ever so slightly but not when I lose my stomach every half hour. I read somewhere that ibuprofen is a glutamate blocker but I'm allergic. :-( The headaches are at their worst if I eat fast food (and sometimes I have no choice). The worst part of it all is that I'm an anthropologist, and I've been asked many times by my professors why I don't go off and do my fieldwork in another country and study the different dreamworlds because I love that stuff so much--unfortunately for me I can't because of the MSG issue. I don't even go to family reunions anymore because I don't know what's in the food. I've had more arguments with people about the difference between "sodium" versus "monosodium glutamate". They just don't know! As long as I eat raw and organic and avoid MSG like crazy I only get a very mild migraine once every couple of years.....if I don't mind my diet at all it's at least one migraine (or more) a week. I don't know which is worse--the constant low grade migraines from od'ing on MSG, or the severe week long ones from eating right as much as possible and *still* winding up od'ing on MSG. :/

~Min
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2012 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are no cures, really, Min. To avoid headaches and migraines, I have to religiously avoid all forms of processed free glutamate...all fast foods are out. When traveling or socializing, I always bring my own food in a cooler or little insulated bag with a small ice pack. If traveling longer, I depend on ice from stores. For reunions, I always make a dish I can eat and share, including a stash in a cooler for my husband and I. He doesn't react as severely as I do, but has for years, eats what I do, since he loves how he feels. His brothers are 7 and 9 years younger...Mike is so much healthier and in much better shape.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page