Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Figured out the MSG thing TONIGHT!!

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Figured out the MSG thing TONIGHT!! « Previous Next »

shelia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 11:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the last few years I've had: the blahs, aches and pains, irritability, fatigue, sleep problems. I've always have had severe stomach pains and IBS-like symptoms. I could never really connect the symptoms...is it gluten, dairy, IBS??

Tonight, I made a very healthy, vegan, gluten free dinner. About 45 min after my stomach was hurting and my back felt tight like when you have the flu. I was running to the toilet. What did I eat?? It hit me! The olives and sun-dried tomatoes!

I checked the ingredients there it was sodium alginate and citric acid. Did some research and noticed how it sounded similar MSG. Found sites like this and BAM I now have an answer.

It's not IBS or fibromyalgia as I told it might be. I am certain glutamamtes are causing the symptoms.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 9:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woo Hoo! Join the club, Sheila - you are now on the road to good health :-)

Lots to learn, you'll make mistakes, but the easiest way to know what to eat (in my opinion) is to follow the god diet: "If god didn't make it, I don't eat it!" No fake or processed food of any kind. Taurine supplementation if you are also allergic to sulpha drugs (in which case taurine deficiency may be the cause of your glutamate sensitivity) and ibuprofen if you suspect a food may not be 100% FGA (free glutamic acid) free.

In a nutshell, that's what has worked for me!

(though I should mention that I find msg on the skin, rather than in the mouth to actually be worse! So, more to learn there.)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 12:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

evelyn, that is interesting that you find msg on the skin worse....how so? Are your symptoms the same, only worse? Or are the symptoms different?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shelia, I'm glad you finally were able to determined the cause, that's more that half the battle. It took me 10 years to figure out to stay away from msg, then another 20 to find out free-glutamates are in sooooo many additives under different names. But now, I'm good. Hardly ever have a symptom because I know what to avoid. Welcome to this forum, I think you will get a lot out of it.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 1:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di - same symptoms, but to a worse degree. Hair dye with msg in it turned out to be the absolute worse thing I came in contact with. Then I read an article that I felt confirmed this, as it indicated the FGA we ingest at least have some built in mechanisms to process it, so some of it is processed out of our bodies, where as the hair dye on my head I see as a direct infusion of msg, straight to the brain!
cheryla1
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 2:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn,

can you expand on the taurine/sulpha theory? I break out in hives from sulpha. Am taking taurine but want to know more - I take 1000 mg in a capsule a day. Any info you can share would be great.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 6:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheryla1 - do a search here, if you like and see what we've posted previously. In a nutshell and as I - a non-medical, non-scientific, etc. - understand it from searching the research of others: a genetic defect of sulphur metabolism results in less taurine manufactured by the body; as we age we also produce less.

I take 1K/mg 2X daily, am and pm, as a maintenance dose. 2 US manufacturers - carlson (you can buy in healthfood store or online) or nutrabio.com - cheaper, ordered over the internet. I have some of the related info posted on my facebook page: facebook.com\msginfo
Just reposting of things others have discovered that have helped me - this is the best forum for discussion. I'm just trying to share the links/info with a larger audience, reach as many people as possible.
shelia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 7:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I talked with a Doctor about this, and she said that it I was think on to small of a scale.

I really don't think so. I wake up feeling pretty good even though I've never been a morning person. It's after I eat that I start to feel bad. I thought I was eating healthy, but even "healthy" foods has all kinds of nasty preservatives.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 7:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

evelyn - have you looked at this site for taurine? I ordered a couple things from them last fall and mailed fast etc. - it appears it is from China - I am concerned about that but not sure everything isn't any more

http://purebulk.com/taurine
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheila, trust your body - once you get your diet cleaned up, you can really start to notice ill effects and link them to specific foods. Keep a food journal with details about everything you eat and every ill effect you endure. Pretty soon, you'll be able to pinpoint what bothers you even if you are never able to figure out why....for instance, deli meats may bother you even if the label looks safe - you could react negatively to cornstarch which is used to dust the packaging but isn't listed on the label. Or you could react to baby carrots and the citric acid they are washed in - it isn't listed on the label, either. These are the things I eventually found out and it made much more sense when I realized I can't tolerate any corn additives. Up until I found out about the hidden corn, I had quite a list of things I couldn't tolerate and didn't know why: vitamin D milk (corn oil is used to suspend the corny vitamins A and D in the milk), pickles (distilled vinegar is made from corn), eggs (many eggs are corntaminated in the processing), wheat products (enriched wheat contains corny vitamins and usually cornstarch as a vitamin carrier), apples and green peppers and cucumbers (they are routinely sprayed with a corn wax for a longer shelf life), alcohol (almost every alcohol made in the US whether liquor, wine or beer contains some corny ingredients), perfume (almost all scented products contain corn - especially perfumes and colognes which have corn alcohol as their base). Now, imagine my surprise when I finally read about the hidden corn in these things and was able to acquire uncorny versions of these products. I'm not allergic to any of them and tolerate them all quite well when they are free of corn contamination. (Except alcohol including perfumes, that reaction was so violent and scary that I'm afraid to try even "safe" ones - not to mention there is no room in my life for impairment while trying to regain my health).

It's good that you found us so you can get on with figuring out your particular sensitivities and forming a basic safe diet. Once that is done, you may wish to branch out and try new products from time to time. I don't usually try any new products and try to keep our lives simple with only whole foods and cooking everything from scratch, but we're allergic to corn and soy and not just sensitive to glutamates. Whatever your issue, you'll find the answers now that you are on the right track. 8^)
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara - yes, this is one of the first ones I checked, due to low price. Packaging stated (when I looked at it) coutry of origin:China. And as you say, most are. I found only two US manufacturers. Also confirmed country of origin for as many others as I could find, once I got on a roll :-)

You can always call and ask if you are uncertain.

Nutrabio.com manufactures all their own products, here in the US and sells them at very reasonable prices. You can get chinese products cheaper, but this is cheap - and I can vouch for quality. Hopefully, they will continue to do business this way!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect the olives and sun-dried tomatoes contain sulfites, also...many MSG sensitive people react to the many forms of sulfites added to foods as a preservative. I get back ache and stomach problems from sulfites. Bad stuff.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page