|Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 10:42 am: || |
I am new to this board and new to this whole issue really. My 14 month old daughter was eating chinese food at a family get together, and almost immediately after eating it her cheeks became bright red. The redness seemed to go away within a couple hours. A few weeks later the same thing happened when she ate spaghetti-o's. I don't know if she felt any other symptoms. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
|Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 12:58 pm: || |
Hi Nicole, I have a seventeen month old that reacts badly to msg, and hidden glutamate. It affects her sleep, behaviour, balance etc. The first warning sign we have is that her cheeks become flushed. I have finally managed to get her glutamate free so to speak and she is a different child. If you look at posts for the last seven days you will see my first post here that gives my msg story. Have a read and see if you recognise any of the same things inyour little one. It may help. Personally after all the research i have done recently, i believe every child should be given an msg free start in life. Thats easier said than done, but i think worth the effort. Please have a read of my story and if you want to talk more,im happy to talk or help anyway i can.
|Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 6:09 pm: || |
You might also want to consider an intolerance to food additives or a corn or soy allergy. All of these things really result in the same thing: cutting out food additives. The thing to remember is that she is most likely reacting to things that aren't really food because they have been processed until they are completely devoid of any nutruitional value or benefit. Most food additives are made from GMO corn or GMO soy, so they never were food.
I get the bright red cheeks from cornstarch. There are other corn derivatives that are used in scented detergents and such that also cause the bright red cheeks for me. It is usually followed by drowsiness/narcolepsy but it didn't start out that way. Anyway, we saw vast improvement with many issues when we decided to remove all food additives from our diet - even many issues that we never thought were food related.
We have many different reactions and some are immediate and some are gradual and cumulative, but some of the things you can watch for are insomnia or any kind of sleep disturbance, skin issues like eczema or rashes, post nasal drip or congestion, irritability, constipation or diarrhea, changes in appetite, refusing to eat certain foods that she previously loved. Her age will make it very hard to pin down exactly what is causing her to react so you will probably need to just remove all food additives for a while. Once she feels better for a while you could trial things one at a time if you choose to add them back into her diet. You probably won't have any desire to add them back in if the whole family goes additive-free because you will feel better than you have in years, too. Also, it isn't like an allergy to citrus or celery or beef or some other real food......an allergy to food additives is an allergy to something that is really not food and at the very least completely unnecessary for a balanced diet.
You can try allergy testing but there doesn't seem to be a lot of accuracy and even those results are not final unless you trial the suspected allergy to confirm. Really, most allergist will treat allergies with drugs containing some of the same derivatives that may be causing the problem in the first place.
Take a look at this nutrition site for some information about eliminating food additives and processed foods: http://www.westonaprice.org/
|Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 8:00 pm: || |
Please feel free to read my article about the cover-up of hidden MSG: http://www.naturalnews.com/025066.html and pass it along to anyone you wish.