Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Severe Bloating Distention Constipati...

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Severe Bloating Distention Constipation- Could be MSG? « Previous Next »

Shosh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI-

I've had on and off bloat/distention and pretty bad constipation without knowing why. Today I ate something and within 15 min my stomach was huge, hard and hurt with terrible gas pains. The only things in it were carrots, peas, chicken breast, rice, a drop of soy sauce and 3 bullion cubes of powdered chicken soup. It has to be the bullion.
But most ppl here report diarreah not constipation... Anyone have any ideas?

I also noticed some ppl speaking of hives and rosacea- I have both to varying degrees and never connected them to MSG...

Thanks

Shosh
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shosh, Symptoms vary widely, so just because most reports are of diarrhea that doesn't mean your constipation isn't a symptom. We all seem to be slightly different. I know I have a symptom that no one else seems to have, but it's my body's way of reacting....and I know for SURE MSG is the culprit.

Yeah, the soy sauce, the bullion and possibly the chicken (a lot of chicken has been injected with a seasoning solution) would have contained some form of MSG.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shosh, I suffered bouts diarrhea and constipation from one day to the next. It was terrible and escalated over time to the point that my doctor suggested hemorrhoid surgery at the age of 45! Luckily, I discovered that MSG and aspartame were the culprits in time. Bouillon and soy sauce contain large amounts of free glutamate, the free form of MSG. Bouillon most often has pure MSG added to it and so do some soy sauces. Go to our site at www.msgmyth.com for an in depth list of hidden sources of free glutamate.
Anonymous

Posted From: 107.9.236.145
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 11:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 18 year old son has been suffering for 18 months with vomiting, nausea, alternating d/c, bloating, cramping, pain, etc., etc. He has been misdiagnosed with cyclic vomiting syndrome & fructose malabsorption. He has been put on and taken off of powerful antidepressants to interrupt the brain to gut connection. He has missed countless days of school and still, we battle on. Wondering now if all this is related to MSG sensitivity. He presently does quite well during the week, but Mondays & Tuesdays are very difficult. Only difference on weekends in he sleeps in and we go out to dinner on Saturdays. Was thinking it was the french fries he always gets ~ could it be the MSG? In what form do restaurants add it to their menu items?
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 1:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in what form is msg added... oh, gosh... in what form ISNT it added anymore???
i think youve definitely made a connection- but unless you eat at a place where the cooks actually shake it right into the food, it probly isnt really the restaurants' fault, but rather the manufacturers who get their 'umami seasonings' into anything and everything they can!

honestly, there can only be one real reason why Big Food goes to so much trouble to get glutamate into everything edible- its got to be the thing that makes people want to eat more, buy more, pack it on & in- as i think ive commented before, a great strategy for the corporate bottom line, not so great for all of ours.

i am SO sorry for your son's misery! to be so young and allready so ill... but i know how you feel, becoz i have 2 sons of my own and am doing everything i know how to preserve every bit of health for them that i can.

is he willing, and are you able, to get him onto a good strict Elimination Diet such as DebA outlines? since he might be reacting to a lot of different things, it could be tricky- but i think it is really the best place to start...

are there any "safe" foods for him that you allready know of? a lot of people on the board have talked about getting down to just a few well-tolerated foods and staying there for awhile, long enough to detox, before adding other things back in one by one.

if he doesnt absolutely have to eat out for awhile, it might be best to just be REALLY careful and eat only at home, just basic stuff from scratch.
Deb has a lot of great suggestions on the main site, have you allready gone there? also there is just a wealth of info on this board, im sorry its going to feel so overwhelming at first- but, mom, you are on the right path! please keep doing lots of research and asking all the questions you can think of, eventually answers really will begin falling into place

oh, and to actually answer your question :-) ...in my jaded experience, french fries can be just about deadly. my sons and i all get horrible gas, nausea and bloating from just about any fried food anymore. we think we can tolerate a little if its fried in RICE OIL but that has become so spendy that almost no one does it anymore. and the cheaper deepfryer fat they use instead is just loaded with so many additives and gnarly chemicals- look at the ingredients on a tub in Cash&Carry or your local restaurant supply :P

in fact, getting him off the deep fried 'goodys' really might be your #1 step!

hope that helps, please keep posting!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 4:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

Some restaurants use preseasoned fries. I would also suspect sulfites. It may also be the ketchup.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1370/is_n10_v30/ai_18979003/
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 4:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon, It could be the fries, as Roy said, many restaurants season them. The seasoning could be in the oil, salt, or on the fries, they find a way. Also, it could be other foods that your son is eating over the weekend (probably at the restaurant). But just about everything has had some type of processing (and free-glutamic acid added), so the more whole, unprocessed foods he can eat, the better. Restaurants will tell you they don't put any MSG in any of their food, but because it can be in over 40 different additives without being labeled as such, they aren't lying.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 1:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never eat anything from a restaurant.

1. All restaurants are guilty until proved innocent.

2. I'm not interested in any evidence that they are innocent. (Any evidence that they are innocent will be ruled out of order.)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 6:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ha ha! jerry, its good to hear from you again... ive been wondering how youre doing lately, youve been so quiet :-)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 3:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I hope you'll try a whole foods diet to see if that turns your son's condition around. He is most likely reacting to one of the many toxic substances in processed and restaurant foods. He could very well be reacting to some of the hidden food additives that are included in virtually every box, bag or can in the grocery like citric acid or cornstarch. Keeping a detailed food journal will help tremendously when trying to pinpoint particular food triggers. You could try the test diet on this site to see if it helps.
Anonymous

Posted From: 64.178.245.247
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 6:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I definitely have the painful gas and bloating. Most sites attribute this to sodium content in MSG foods, rather than MSG but I don't because I can eat foods with tons of plain table salt without the reaction I get within a half hour of eating anything with monosodium glutamate in it.
Anonymous

Posted From: 70.92.179.92
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? A week ago after a strenuous workout I had a whey protein shake followed by a large dinner of chinese food. I woke up at about 1:00 am with tightness in my upper chest. I rolled over hoping it would go away by changing positions. My next memory is waking up on the bathroom floor in a cold sweat with a dislocated big toe and very groggy. After a short time my head started to clear and my wife took me to the emergency room. They did a echocardiogram, stress test, multiple ekg's, blood enzymes, all came back normal with no evidence that I had suffered a heart attack. The only thing abnormal was a low potassium count. The released me with a heart monitor as a precaution. I had similar chest pain about two weeks prior, also after working out, a protein shake, and chinese food. The doctors seemed quite dismissive of my suggestion of an msg sensitivity. Now almost a week later my head is still foggy. I'm not dizzy and I can function, I'm just a little "off" I guess.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 1:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi

you should look at Deb's trial diet here

http://www.msgmyth.com/test_diet.html

there is lots of MSG in our foods - almost all prepared foods have it - you need to see what happens when you take it out of your diet
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon, I have heard from hundreds of people over the years who reacted as you did and ended up in the hospital. Some emergency room doctors are very aware of MSG toxicity reactions but most doctors have little training concerning food additives. Please read and learn all you can about the hidden sources of free processed glutamate, the form found in MSG and many other additives.
Protein shakes are a no-no, and avoiding Chinese food is a good idea until you can sort out which dishes are safe. If you want a protein drink, try adding Crystal Farms pasteurized egg whites (liquid without any additives) to a fresh fruit smoothie. Drained and rinsed S&W red kidney beans added to smoothies increase protein intake, as do organic peanut butter or almonds. Your reactions are becoming severe. Be careful about taking drugs or meds to cover the symptoms. You really need to avoid glutamate ingestion and begin to rid your body of years of accumulation of this dangerous substance in your system.
Anonymous

Posted From: 70.92.179.92
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 4:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your responses Sara and Deb. I have been feeling better and doing a lot of research. I hadn't heard about the pasteurized egg whites. I thought that free glutamates were a byproduct anytime proteins were heated, shouldn't pasteurized egg whites contain a significant amount? I have read that reactions to MSG are more severe if it is ingested around periods of strenuous exercise. Post-workout is going to be a critical time for me, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 8:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course there will be some free glutamate, but I called the company about the egg whites and they said they use a system that brings the whites to a temperature that kills bacteria very quickly yet not high enough to coagulate the whites. They wouldn't go into detail about this patented process. So far, I have done fine with this product, but be careful of ones like the Costco brand which contain additives that are glutamate rich. Remember, we all have different tolerances for the amount of glutamate our systems can handle. I have kids who are very sensitive as I am. Three of them are into heavy exercise daily and report that they feel much better and do not react nearly as often when they slip up. I am sure their activity level helps them to metabolize glutamate more quickly. I hear this from others as well.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 8:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought the protein in egg whites is indigestible until thoroughly cooked?

I've added farm-fresh raw egg yolks to smoothies and they are divine. They make it taste like a large shot of vanilla has been added. Egg yolk has choline which is neuroprotective as well.

Depending on how cold your shakes are you can also add coconut oil but if it's cold it gets gritty.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 8:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been using this pasteurized product for 2 years and have had no problems. The product is not as clear as pure egg whites, so some cooking has occurred, I'm sure. Egg whites are used for those wanting more protein, since the yolk is mostly fat and some other great nutrients. I guess I am still concerned about raw eggs and salmonella. Anyone have more current info about raw eggs and their safety?
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 2:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, apparently pastuerization is enough:

From: Raw Eggwhites - <http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?57035-raw-eggwhites>

"The raw egg white contains the indigestible glycoprotein avidin. In order to make this protein digestible the avidin needs to be denatured by heating. Here is a study about the bioavailability of protein in eggs:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=9772141

The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 +/- 0.8 and 51.3 +/- 9.8%, respectively.
As you can see you are getting substantially more protein out of the egg by heating it.

Now, about egg beaters. These have been pasteurized which involves heating the egg whites to about 120 degrees. This is sufficient to denature the avidin."

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page