Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Severe lower back pain?

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Severe lower back pain? « Previous Next »

Brenda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this - I did try a search for posts but maybe wasn't too good at deciphering the results - lol.

I have severe pain in my lower back, which *seems* to coincide with eating something I shouldn't. I can't tell if it's muscle-oriented or is there some organ there (kidneys?) that wigs out upon MSG-ingestion. By severe, I mean almost enough to make you want to yell because you get SO sick of the constant pain.

I do plan to ask the chiro about this. He did some kind of electro-scan on my back which read that the electricity that the brain sends to your muscles to make them work is very low there, but very high on the right side of my neck. (Did that make sense?) His assistant, without knowing much about me, did this scan and asked me if I had low-back pain or neck pain a lot by reading the computer screen.

I wondered if anyone else had this. It seems to crop up more if I've eaten the wrong thing, thought maybe it could be MSG-related as I know it affects your brain, perhaps thus affecting the signals your brain sends out.

I did complain to the chiro about the supplements containing glutamic acid and L-glutamine that gave me a headache. He's offered to refund me on them. I think he's more knowledgeable about aspartame than MSG, probably doesn't realize that if your system caps out, you can't tolerate anything for awhile that has glutamic acid - or it seems I can't, anyhow, not right now.

I was very sleepy yesterday, in fact I had a hard time waking up and way overslept. But I did read others have had this upon attempting to change their diet. I'll keep watching what I eat, see if it improves or I can pinpoint further reactions to see what's going on for sure.

The fizzy water seems to be helping w/the diet pop craving. I had one 24-oz bottle of diet pop yesterday (2 cans worth) which is down from what I used to drink. I bought Xylitol gum and chucked my aspartame-gum. Probably still has a few no-nos in it but...baby steps.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brenda,

You may be experiencing pain in the area of your gall bladder or pancreas. Many people have gall bladder attacks due to the affects of Excitotoxins on the digestive system. You may start experiencing some relief as you become more successful in MSG/aspartame abstinence.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brenda,

I have suffered with low back pain for 34 years. It took me ten years to determine that ingesting MSG would trigger a week or two-long bout with sever pain. It took another 22 years to get a correct diagnosis. Every doctor that I went to for a diagnosis and treatment thought I was crazy - "MSG couldn't possibly create back pain". Well, they were wrong. After living with sacroiliac joint dysfunction for this many years, I know what triggers it and MSG or it's cousins do the job. Only recently have I had two health professionals (a chiro and a PT) agree with me, that indeed MSG can do this. Also caffeine, cigarettes and some wines would exacerbate the condition.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most definitely digestive issues can cause back pain. If I eat something that causes alot of bloating and such, my low back will hurt. It was explained to me one time that it has to do with the back muscles being pulled from the distention in your belly, but I am not sure this is 100% accurate of an explanation, yet it makes some sense....I am sure there is more to it than that though.

But also, when I eat foods that I am sensitive to (corn and wheat especially) immediately I will feel pain in my back, sometimes all the way up my spine. It is amazing how immediate it is and easy then to tell that it was something I ate. I will continue to feel achy for a few days. Corn, which caused the most pain, was not hard to give up - wheat on the other hand was, but I did it and only now miss it time to time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page