Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mental illness from MSG?

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Mental illness from MSG? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 72.202.147.89
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a 26 year old single mom of 3 small girls, from Wichita KS. I have always been healthy until one year ago. I started getting tingling and burning in my brain, and started feeling strange mentally. Within 4 months, I was starting to feel extremely scared to be around people, I felt awkward and like everyone was against me. I became paranoid, and the burning in my brain was very intense. I lost touch of reality, as far as what as going on socially, with others. I can't even begin to say how torturous it has been. Anyway, I went to doctors and they told me to see psychologists and psycityistists. They said I had "anxiety" and gave me antidepressants. They just made me feel 10 times worse so I quit taking them.

Anyway, I feel like my brain has been turned inside out and no one knows why. I feel mentally ill for sure, but with what? I thought I might have schizophrenia, and I read that caffeine can induce schizo-like symptoms, so I quit drinking caffeine, and that helped, but I still feel burning and pressure in my brain, mostly behind my eyes, and my mouth burns too. I also feel out of touch with reality most of time.
Since I've discovered the truth about msg, last week, I've been plan a diet that is safe, but I'm confused about what foods are ok.

Also, I will add, that in 2006, I was addited to diet pepsi and drank like 4 cans a day. all the sudden my right eye swelled up and I couldn't see out of it, so I quit drinking diet pop and it went away.

I don't know why I'm writing this. I'm just hoping that this is it, and I will get better soon.

5 months ago, I thought my "illness" was from a hormone imbalance from getting my tubes tied so I flew to North Carolina to get my tubes put back together, but that didn't do squat.
Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, my name is Tiffany.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tiffany and welcome to the board. Did you see Debs test diet on the home page: www.msgmyth.com? That will get you started. Also, her cookbook and survival guide are essential (IMHO). Stick with whole foods, preferably organic, and eat nothing processed. You can use organic olive oil and organic salted butter. Keep the spices to the basics for now (salt and pepper). I hope eliminating MSG will help you. Also, it's found in vitamins and medications, so be careful.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome! You will find much help and insight here. Both MSG and aspartame (artificial sweetener in diet products) are neurotoxins/excitotoxins which can produce many varied effects. I personally feel that in my family, MSG or Aspartame produces depression and other kinds of mental illness, including schizophrenia, severe mood swings and rage. I also suffer from very bad memory loss at times and a difficult time focusing and concentrating which impacts my ability to learn. In short, I am convinced both MSG and artificial sweeteners can play a huge role in all kinds of mental illness as well as cognitive difficulties for many people. Learn all you can from this website as well as other recommended sites such as www.msgtruth.org, www.dorway.com (on aspartame), and www.truthinlabeling.org.

Once you educate yourself more and continue to avoid these horrible toxins, I believe you will see a significant abatement of your symptoms, if not a complete disappearance of them.

There is an absolute wealth of knowledge here in this Forum about what is safe to eat and what is not and many other topics relating to this issue. A great first step would be to order Deb's book (go to the Home page of this site). Also make sure to check out past posts. The people here are incredibly knowledgeable and share their experience and wisdom most generously.

I am so glad you joined us and rest assured, things will only get better for you from here.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany,

I agree with Cherylin. It strikes me that MSG could be partially, if not all, to blame. Especially because you said your eye swelled up, then went down when you gave up diet pepsi. Aspartame is sort of like a cousin to MSG - it's just as bad and the combo of the two is multiplied. Deb's book is good, but you don't have to wait to get started on a no-msg diet, give the "test diet" a try. And if you have questions, ask away.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi 26 year old mom of 3, (I think your name is Tiffany?),
Please go on the stringent diet plan that Deb has posted on the front page for at least a week. If you add anything unsafe in there, you will not know for certain if MSG and Aspartame are your problem. I totally agree about the mood swings and memory loos that Cherylin mentioned.
I want to add that I take Welbutrin. I have been put on all of the SSRI uptake drugs (Celexa, Prozac, etc) and if I even take one pill, I get the same symptoms that I do if I ingest MSG (racing heart, GI upset and increased motility, etc.)
I just really urge you to test this out, even if you can only eat a few things for a week, like Lundgerg brown rice, free range organic eggs, local dairy butter with only cream and salt, and some fresh fruit which is not labeled DOLE. If you narrow down your food intake then you will know for sure, and you can add things back-one thing at a time, and see what agrees with you and what does not.
Someone on this list, maybe Karen, was putting together a 'safe food list' from previous posts. But you have to remember that these companies constantly change ingredients, and so what is 'safe' today may not be tomorrow.
Please keep posting and we will try and help you.
Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your responces. I have been eating cream of rice w/ sugar, meat, potatoes, and salads. But I will look for the list that was mentioned. I really miss ketchup!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany,

Just curious, are you making your own salad dressing - or using none? Drinking only water?
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, I used to love cream of rice, but I can't find any that doesn't have suspicious ingredients. Be sure to check the ingredients on whatever brand you're using.
Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne- I'm not using salad dressing, and I've been drinking only water, whole milk, and orange juice.

Lauren- Let's see, cream of rice: Granulated rice, ferric phosphate, niacinamide, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin. I'm not sure if that's safe or not.

I'm looking forward to buying a bread machine and making safe bread, and a processor for homemade ketchup.

I noticed that a lot of people avoid foods that are naturally high in free glutamate acid, such as, baked potatoes, tomatoes, and bread. Do any of you personally have problems with these foods do you do OK with most natural foods. What about homemade spaghetti sauce?

Thanks, Tiffany
Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found the one week test diet, and I'm going to do that for a while. I noticed that the lady said we should only eat turkey and chicken during the test week, I was wondering if anyone knows why? Do you think fresh beef or pork would hurt?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I don't have trouble with FRESH tomatoes. I do have problems with many canned kinds-the last time I used Hunts (non-organic) I did okay--unless they have changed something. I also do not have problems with potatoes, although I prefer organic ones-the last time I ate Ukon Gold I had a problem. Bread---I don't make my own, but need to learn. I can eat only one kind of bread--Sara Lee Honey Wheat. I am scared of different breads! There is so much junk in them, especially the low fat kinds.
I think it is easier to find turkey and chicken which has not been processed, or which does not have 'solution' added to it. I think, if you get beef which has nothing added from a butcher, it may be okay--IF it has not been sprayed with sulfites. As for pork, I have eaten some which was not treated or processed--you do not want flavored or smoked anything. Watch out for bacon-there is only one I can eat.
I think you should do the eggs and rice for a couple days before adding the meat.
Also, I am one who can't eat leftover rice. It is fine when just cooked, but if I refrigerate it overnight, I can't eat it.
Also, Deb's good advice-If a product has more than 3 or 4 ingredients, it probably will cause you a problem. The fewer ingredients, the better. And avoid all low fat or low sodium stuff-they add in more MSG to compensate for lack of taste. This is also true of milk-use Whole, preferably not Ultra Paasturized-although that is the only kind I have access to. The one good brand is Organic Valley Whole Milk. Deb has said she waters it down sometimes.
One more thing. I use SMART CHICKEN-a brand in some supermarkets. I have never had a problem with that. I also get Applegate Farms Organic roasted chicken or turkey lunchmeat at Whole Foods. Any of their other flavors (ham, roast beef, or smoked, forget)
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, In my area it is very hard to find turkey that does not have any "retained solution", and I only eat organic chicken. Absolutely no lunch meat (of course because that's been processed). I don't have a problem with beef or pork, but I don't eat much of it. For now you might want to avoid food naturally high in glutamates, but later on you might be okay with them, i.e. tomatoes. Cooking tomatoes for sauces frees up the glutamate so that might bother you, at least for now. I use Muir Glen ketchup and am ok, but I don't use much of it.

I guess in the beginning just try your best to avoid stuff that is questionable and you can always add it later and see. Things I couldn't eat a year ago, I can tolerate a little bit of now.

As for the orange juice - are you fresh squeezing from organic oranges? Just remember the less processed the better. And hang in - it will get easier....
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tiffany. I'm "the lady" with the test diet. Haha! Anyway, the reason that beef is not included, is because most of it today is injected with hormones and chemicals that many people already are reacting to. If you can find real organic beef, that's fine. With chicken and turkey, you can at least read a label and find one that says "no preservatives and no additives", such as Foster Farms. A lot of fish is treated with sulfites and phosphates, so be careful to read labels and wash well. Most of the pork in most grocery stores is injected with lactic acid or phosphates to tenderize it..Hormel does it all the time. But you can ask the butcher for information there. We're happy that you are here and learning more about MSG and your health. There are so many young people like yourself who are starting to experience many of the same symptoms that you describe. Many are being "drugged" with so many prescription meds that only make the situation worse.
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb, Dianne, and Lisa Maire. It is so nice to have you people here to get advise from, I'm glad I'm not on my own here. I had no idea that meat was injected with stuff, that's gross.
Today is my 2nd day on the test diet. I think I feel a tiny bit better, but still really messed up. I'm a little scared that when the week is over, I won't feel better.
Just to be safe, I'm going to make my own natural lotion, and buy burt's bee's shampoo. I'm also going to buy some natural laundry soap and dish soap.
My mom think's I'm crazy, she says you can't believe anything you read on the internet haha.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany,

Well, your mom may be half right. A lot of what is on the internet is not believable....but this forum is made up of people that committed to getting themselves healthy and helping other to do the same.

You may feel a little better after one week, but it often takes a little longer than that, so don't be discouraged. It can take the body a while to get cleansed. Sometimes even now if I happen to ingest some MSG my sypmtoms can last from a couple of days to a few weeks.

Something I'm curious about - when your eye swelled up what made you think it might be from the diet pepsi, and to give it up? Was it something someone said? Great idea no matter where it came from.
Anonymous

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne, I didn't realize right away that the pop was to blame, I went to an eye doctor, and he ran a bunch of tests, and he was stumped. I think it was my macular that was swollen. He said his best guess was that since I had a baby 3 months prior, that maybe when I was pushing my blood pressure went up and that's how it happened, but I didn't think so. I just had a feeling it might be the aspertame, so I did a search on the internet and found out how dangerous it is, that the body can store it behind the eyes.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, Now there's something you've taught me. I didn't know that about aspartame - that it can be stored behind the eyes. I'll have to get after my husband again to stop with the diet coke! Thanks for that bit of info.
Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need a farm. I am going CRAZY (crazier than I already am) trying to figure out what foods are safe, and which ones might have been spiked with poison buy some guy at the factory.
I had some organic Spectrum Mayo, and I felt terrible today, the only thing funny I could find in it is sea salt. I'm not sure what that is.
I'm blaming it on the mayo, but really, I can't tell if I've made any progress since I started the test diet, and I am scared to death that eliminating msg isn't going to help me.
If msg is not the problem, then it's off to the loony bin for me. I wonder if they'll let me bring my kids haha.

Dianne, yes, that is what I read, because when aspartame get's to a certain temperature, is turns into formaldehyde. When I meet someone who drinks a lot of diet pop, I ask them if they get headaches, and they usually say yes.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 3:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My advice is to try and limit anything from a box or jar or package while you are on your test diet. Unless it is Lundberg rice. I know how hard this is, but it is just for a week---try and eat everything plain.
It took me over a month before I was positive that it was working for me. The first weeks I think I even felt worse, as I had a constant headache from eliminating diet soda, I guess. But gradually I really felt well, and I knew it was happening as I was able to sleep at night, and my heart was not racing all the time. Look for little improvements also.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, You said you felt good until a year ago. I'm wondering if your symptoms may have been precipated, or exacerbated by someone slipping something into your drink. I say this because my brother-in-law once said he is sure this happened to him. He had ill effects (mentally) for a long time, but gradually they faded.
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.102.124.7
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, something like what? Yes, last year, in May, I started feeling a little akward around people and started getting tingling in the back of my head. The tingling moved into the frontal part of my head, and turned into burning, my mouth burns most of the time, and sometimes my face tingles. But mentally I gradually got worse and worse, and it took me several months to progress to my worst. It's a big mystery.

Anyway I don't drink alcohol, so if SOMEONE slipped me something, I wonder what it would be.
Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie, it's good to hear that it took you about a month. I'm only 5 days into it. I bought some white rice, and rinsed it off in a strainer really well. I eat it with organic whole milk and sugar, and I've been eating free range organic eggs, fried in butter (cream and salt) with salt and pepper and that's it. Nothing else. Do you think the rice is dangerous? I didn't notice the Lundberg brand at the store, but I wasn't looking for it either. The butter I use isn't organic, could that be dangerous too?
Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to the Lundberg website, and I noticed that they have organic white rice, do you think that might be ok, or should I get they yucky brown rice?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about the Lundberg white rice. I still have not tried white rice, but I think others have when they have rinsed it first. Depends on the butter. Land of Lakes is not good; I use some Irish butter that I get at Whole Foods, or my local dairy's, which says only cream and salt. It is not organic.
What milk are you using? If it is Horizon, that might be a problem.
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.103.248.93
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my goodness it is Horizon, what could be in it?
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.103.248.93
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question about eating black beans, are they safe, or do they create free glutamate acid because they are protein and you have to cook them?

Also, I bought a bread maker and I was wondering if I get the right flour and stuff if that would be safe right now or not. If I wait a while to eat bread, then should I get white flour or wheat?

Thank you guys for your help. I am so thankful for this website!
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I believe there are certain milk solids in there which are not going to be good for you. I just know I could never tolerate Horizon. ALSO, they claim to be 'organic' and there is a whole slew of info on the internet about the fact that they REALLY are not!
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, or anyone else, do you know if bottled lemon juice is safe? I read somewhere on this website not to use it but I can't remember why??? The reason I am asking is because I made my own lotion, and used some in it, but I didn't stop to think about the msg treat.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just realized that I didn't have to post anonymous!
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Lisa Marie on the info about Horizon.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, if the lemon juice is not organic, don't use it...it will contain sulfites, which most of us react to if we are MSG sensitive. Do you have our book yet? If not, please consider getting it. Your reactions are typical of the ones I hear about all the time....all of them....and I have heard from a lot of people over the years. Hang in there. As for brown rice, you might like the kind I use. I buy the short grain. When I cook it, I add a t. of cane sugar to the water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to the low temp. Cover and let simmer on the lowest setting for about 40 minutes until done.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Deb. I'm back to using brown rice, I don't want to take any chances. I am very thankful for your website, and all of the research you have done. So you have heard of others with symptoms like mine? I believe you, it's just that I haven't found anyone who has yet, or anyone who understands how I feel. I truly feel alone, like I have some problem that no one has ever had. Yesterday I found out about mercury poisoning, and my symptoms seem more related to that than msg. I have 7 metal fillings that could possibly cause that. Maybe it's both, maybe I am sensitive to more that one thing, all I know is I feel poisoned.

Anyway, I am so tempted to use my new breadmaker and make some hambergers, but I am unsure about what kind of flour to use. Does anyone reccomend any, or should I stay away from bread while I'm on the test diet? I don't know what to do! I'm sick of rice. :-)
Bill S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, your symptoms are common. You wrote you are "feeling mentally ill" That was my motto a couple of years ago!

How long has it been since you last took pills from the psychiatrist? Those drugs can mess you up so bad. It takes a while to get back.

Antidepressants don't work
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yNp66djpNWA

This forum usually recommends going on a caveman diet if needed. (just search on here for that)

When I first started this process, My brain was reacting to oranges. You might want to try eliminating them for a while. Really anything you could be reacting to though. Like Debby always says "listen to your body"

There are so many things to help your brain, but make sure you are getting omega-3 and vitamin d. Carlson's Cod liver oil is one way to get them.

You mentioned mercury. The more you learn about this health info, the more you learn everything is kind of related.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that is great advice, Bill...all of it. When mercury was introduced to lab animals, they found that it had little or no effect. However, when MSG was added to the methyl mercury, lesions began to grow. So yes, I believe that it's all related. MSG does a real number on our immune system and is also a vasoconstrictor, and inflammatory agent...not to mention it kills brain cells and causes cancer cells to grow, as demonstrated in a lab test. The tests are outlined in our book.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Bill.
That is interesting Deb.

I was doing the test diet for about a week and a half, and felt a tad bit better, then I ate almost a whole loaf of homemade bread. Then next day was heck, I was very irritable and angry for no reason. The burning was bad too. So after that I realized how much it matters what I eat, so I looked up glutamic acid levels in different foods, and found out that fruit and some veggies are by far the lowest, than say, eggs, dairy and meat. I know that some people are fine with eggs, dairy and meat, even bread, but how do you find your line, when your brain has been damaged by glutamates? So anyway I decided at that point to eat only fruits and veggies, but I did that for a day and a half and had NO energy, and my muscles felt weak, I feel like if I drank some milk with it I would be ok, but how do I know if I can handle it? err this is frustrating. But I will say that the day and a half I ate only fruits ad veggies, I noticed a big difference mentally, more so that when I was on the test diet. I wonder if I need to be really strict and eat only fruits and veggies, or if I just do the test diet for long enough I'll eventually get better. I wish I knew!

By the way, I was reading some posts from a couple years back, by a lady named Guinevere, she had the same symptoms as me, and I was wondering if she is still around, or what happened with her?
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, What about the brown rice, did that not agree with you? Have you tried oatmeal? These foods may give you a little more energy if you can tolerate them.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beans are great, too.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I couldn't tell for sure if the test diet was working so I fell off the wagon for 3 days. After that I felt so miserable. My headache was really bad yesterday, so now at least I know that the msg is hurting me. I still don't know if staying off of msg for long enough will totally cure me, but I know I'm never going back. We'll see.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

err I keep coming across so many things that people say can cause my symptoms, like, msg, gluten, dairy, sugar, cosmetics, metal fillings, fungus in my intestines. How do I know?! I don't have the money to have all my fillings taken out and do chleation treatments every week. Or to get all the tests done to find out.
HOW FRUSTERATING :-(

I'm following the test diet, but now I'm afraid of milk and sugar. On top of that, I'm afraid that maybe the problem is something else, and I'm wasting my time and energy on my diet.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, It's impossible for any of us to know what may make you react. I think the safest, easiest thing to do is to try to avoid foods high in glutamate unless you know they are safe for you. As for sugar, salt and all the other foods that you read may cause someone to react, I wouldn't worry about. Everyone can be different, I know I am. Especially now that I've been MSG free for a couple of years. I am not nearly so sensitive and have been able to add some foods back in my diet and others I can eat occasionally. I have always continued to use the same cosmetics, hair products, etc. Have not had my fillings out and do not do chelation treatments (maybe I should). If you worried about everything anyone said or wrote about that might be harmful, you wouldn't get out of bed....or maybe even get in bed (there's probably something bad about the mattress, pillow, etc). Just prioritize and drop what isn't on top.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You Dianne! Somewhere inside I know it doesn't make sense to worry about everything, but I feel like through all of this, I've lost my common sense and I get scared and flustered easily.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, it's me again :-( I just want to know what's wrong with me. The only person I have in this world is God, and He knows what's wrong with me, but I just feel like He's ignoring me.
I know He's not, but I don't understand why He would sit back and watch me go through this torture. I'm a Christian, I have repented from all of my sins. If I went to my Dad (he's dead) and told him how upset I am and that I need help, he would do everything he could to help me, so why won't the Lord?

I've been noticing for a while now that I have a slight sore throat and my lungs hurt a little. Could that be msg related?

Oh and now there's Candida to look out for, that I read about on the internet. So, if you have a problem with Candida you have to get rid of it and can't eat fruit or sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know?

Why can't doctors be of any help?

I'm serious, listen, I went to 2 doctors last week, and they told me that it all started with my "anxiety" (that I never had!) And then, since I was so anxious, that caused all of my physical problems. BALONY I wasn't anxious, I was fine until my brain started burning! They look me in the face and tell me this and make me feel like I'm from another planet. They must not believe that I was fine before all of this started. They must see that I have 3 kids and automatically assume that 3 small kids would make anyone anxious. Well, I happen to LOVE being a mom, and their is nothing I would rather do than take care of them. They do not drive me nuts, I don't "need a break" and I had them on purpose! All 3! Imagine that. They didn't do this to me!

eerrrr

Thanks for reading my vent. I feel a little better now.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many of us have been through the same thing with doctors. They don't have an answer so it must be because we are stressed, tired, depressed, etc. I would find a new doctor who doesn't treat you this way. It may take some time and you may have to go through several before you find a good one. I'm seeing one now who is actually a Physicians Assistant and while I've made all the progress on my own without much input from her, she has listened and tried. She has been open to whatever tests I want to try or theories I have. Because of this, I now view doctors as the middle man to my health, not the answer to it. Most go by what fits into neat little boxes and don't go the extra mile to tailor treatment to the individual. We have to research things for ourselves and persist until we find an answer. Do not let them discourage you.

I looked up Candida and it's interesting that a lot of the symptoms are similar to MSG toxicity. If you are strictly avoiding MSG and are still having symptoms after a period of time, and you are still concerned about Candida,
then see if there's a test or something you can have done. If that turns out not to be it either, keep looking and researching.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, first *BIG HUGS!* One from me, and two from God. ~_^ (Yes, He's given me permission to hand them out on His behalf - we're tight like that.)

He's definitely not ignoring you. He's hurting for you, and He definitely wants you to have freedom from this sickness. All of the suffering we go through in this world is a result of sin, but often not our own - the sin in this case would be greed (one of the seven deadly sins) on the part of the food manufacturers who are willing to ignore the dangerous nature of these additives so that they can make a little more money off of the unwary consumer. Bad things happen to good people all the time through no fault of their own, due to the fallen nature of the world we live in. It's not evidence that God's cruel or heartless, but that He loves us enough to keep His promise to let free will run its course.

You need to give the test diet more time. Document how you're feeling so that you can see how you improve. Keep your food diary so you can track how certain foods make you feel. It may be a slow process, but it will be worth it in the end.

Don't worry about candida at this point. Take things one step at a time - if cutting out glutamate doesn't reduce your symtpoms after six weeks or so, then maybe look for another solution to your problems.

Doctors, sadly, don't have a lot of time to be open minded. If a solution doesn't automatically spring to mind, they fall back on what they know from previous experience or on what's easy - like telling us it's all in our heads. If there's nothing that shows up in the test results or your "numbers" aren't off, there's not much they can do in the time they have available to them, and if a case baffles them it makes more sense to them to spend their energy on straightforward cases they know they can solve. More's the pity.

I'll be praying for you today, that the Lord will grand you peace and tranquility, and strength of will to pursue a glutamate-free diet to the best of your ability. I'll also be praying that you'll feel a great improvement soon so you'll be encouraged to stick with it. *MORE BIG HUGS!* May your day be blessed.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Amy, thank you Lauren. I will start keeping a food diary. I wanted to start last week, but I lost the notebook I was going to use and didn't have the energy to look for it.

I know the Lord still cares about me, and is with me, but I just don't feel it. I feel forgotten, but I know that's because of whatever is going on in my brain. I used to pray a lot before this happened, but now I don't bother to pray much anymore because mentally I feel like I'm stuck in a glass bubble and nothing can get out and nothing can get in. I miss the Lord!

But I don't have a choice, this is where I'm at in life and it is comforting to know that it is not by accdent, and that I haven't fallen off God's radar.

Thanks again, Tiffany
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May I share a story?...a true one. A woman was so tired of feeling so ill, so much pain, and depressed all the time that one day she was at work and decided to take her life that evening. She even decided how many pills she should take. She had migraine headaches, colitis, depression, and had no energy or reserves left. At lunch time, she heard a co-worker she didn't know personally, talk about how his headaches had disappeared after reading a book. She kept listening and approached him later, asking about the book. He sent her to our site and he offered to loan her his copy. She called a few weeks later to tell me her story of healing. She, too, had seen doctor after doctor...doctors who are not trained to recognize illnesses resulting from our chemical cuisine. She had tried many drugs, and had done colon cleanses and more...to no avail...some did help temporarily, but once she made the decision that God had intervened to stop her suicide, she jumped in with both feet. She said she threw out almost all of the food she had as soon as she finished reading our book. She reclaimed our health.For most of us, we had to be convinced that MSG, aspartame, l-cysteine, and perhaps some other food preservatives were responsible for our bad health....MSG is not just a small part of the picture...but the BIGGEST part of it. Homeopathic doctors will suggest supplements, colon cleanses, chelation therapies. But for the most part, these will be temporary fixes or no help at all. The main thing is completely avoiding processed foods that contain glutamate additives. Trust in your faith and in your instincts...what your own body tells you...not a million different voices and opinions. The people here want only one thing..others to get well again. I for one will never forget the horrors I went through before my own prayer of desparation was answered...read about my experience at www.msgmyth.com (author's story). Miracles abound, Tiffany. Hang in there.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany,

I know how you feel. I too have "not felt" God at times in my life. He loves you and is with you whether you feel Him or not. Hang on. We'll all send you HUGs until you can feel His again. :-)

I have noticed in your posts how overwhelmed you feel at the possible causes of your symptoms. Most of us here have also felt that too, not knowing which thing(s) are causing us to be unhealthy. That has been what 2008 has been about for me, too.

This is how I have finally figured out to handle it. I have researched all sorts of things, you know how the internet is. Fibromyalgia somehow led me to msg, and that to aspartame, and this discussion board led me to other things. I read almost all of the old archives here and got other ideas, like you, of possible health causes. Candida, dental amalgams, etc.

I prioritized what changes I could make that would help multiple issues, but not be particularly expensive to do. For example: I wondered about hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, heavy metal toxicity, fluoride toxicity, candida, etc. etc. etc. I kept looking at sites and reading. Iodine, for example, chelates mercury, cadmium, lead, and is a necessary nutrient for making thyroid hormones. It pushes fluoride and bromide out of your cells. It is safe and needs no prescription. Okay, I could do that. Kind of like the msg test diet.

There is a system of taking your temperature to find out if your thyroid is working at low speed, and to evaluate if your adrenal glands are fatigued. Okay, I can do that.

Same thing with vitamin supplements, carefully selecting those that don't have any msg or aspartame or other weird stuff in them.

I also researched salt. Big difference between refined salt and unrefined (sea) salt. Enough difference to reduce your toxic load and to increase your good trace minerals.

The main thing here is to make the changes a little at a time, even though I know your desperation at needing to feel better now. When you make changes one at a time, then you KNOW in your heart that it is helping you and NO ONE can talk you out of that. And they will try. How could msg be causing all of my fibro pain for ten years? Why didn't the drs. tell you that? I must be just making it up and I've just gotten well "accidentally." Well, no that's not how it is and I really do know it. They can all think whatever they want but I'm going to take care of my body the best I can. Just smile and nod.

I still have a very long way to go. I have been on the msg/aspartame-free diet since the end of January to the best of my knowledge, but gained a lot of knowledge when I found this site in March.

Just in June is when I started taking iodine/iodide to see about helping my thyroid work better. My dr. did not diagnose me with a thyroid problem, but I am seeing a major improvement in two weeks. I am warmer and my morning temps are improving. I am starting to have some energy. But I will have to follow this lead for awhile before I explore any other new ideas.

I hope this isn't too long or too off topic. I just want to help encourage you to take one step at a time. It's like peeling an onion. Each layer will bring you something new and someday you will be well again! The folks on this site know their stuff and have been an immense help to many, many people. One of whom is me!

Hang in there, don't give up! You are important!
Blessings-
Vicki
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Deb and Vicki. I actually felt better today. My mind felt healthier than it has in so long. I started going msg AND gluten free 4 days ago, and I really think that helped. Because I had went 3 weeks being just msg free before and didn't get these results. I think maybe I am sensitive to both.

About the doctors, if they could just say, "I don't know what is causing your sickness" I wouldn't get so frustrated with them.

But I am SO thankful for all of you :-)
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany- I went gluten free for the first three weeks of the msg test diet and couldn't tell any change once I reintroduced gluten. But I am wondering if maybe I should try it again as my next "change" and maybe eliminate dairy too. I eat a lot of dairy and wheat, so if both are bothering me, I'd have to eliminate both to see improvement I think.

I'm delighted that you are seeing some improvement! That is just wonderful and encourages me to keep looking too! Have a great day tomorrow!
Vicki
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vicki, where do you get your iodine supplement? What brand do you use? I had my mercury fillings removed (haven't been right since) and am thinking about trying the iodine.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany,

Something to keep in the back of your mind as you are testing things out, is that dairy and wheat can be problems. After a couple of successful months eliminating MSG, and not realizing I had also limited my dairy, I started drinking milk and eating A LOT of homemade ice cream. I started getting all my old symptoms back (fatigue, headaches, migraines, terrible pms, etc.) and it took me almost 2 months to realize that it was the dairy. You would think I'd have learned by now to look at what was new or different in my diet to trigger those things, but I suppose part of me was in denial.

Don't let the thought of giving up dairy or wheat overwhelm you and maybe don't attempt that hurdle just yet. Just keep it in mind and if you continue to have some issues after giving up MSG, then try eliminating those one at a time. I thought it would be hard, but now that I don't eat them that often (ice cream once a month and wheat once or twice) I don't miss them. I kind of think they have addictive properties because I don't miss them or crave them at all.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren, you said that you haven't been right since the removal of your fillings? I wonder if they did a good job keeping the mercury fragments out of your system while they were removing them? I heard that if they don't follow a strict protocol of removal, that some patients can get poisoned during the removal and feel worse than they did to begin with.

I learned that from Dr. Pompa, I came across his website one night in desperation, here's the link: http://www.pompahealthsolutions.com/. I've learned a lot from him. I called his office in PA, and they sent me this free book called the healing diet, and a bunch of cd's to watch. He started his "healing diet" after he got sick with mercury toxicity. Basically, in the book it says, that while on the healing diet, you should only eat veggies that don't grow under the ground, limited beans, organic meat, and eggs, and some organic dairy. No grains, and no sugars, or fruit. It's pretty radical, but it makes sense, and in the book, they give a lot of recipes and a 7 day meal plan. I have started following it, with the exception of dairy.

So not only am I msg free, gluten free, and now dairy free, I've added one more filter on my diet, and that is the elimination of sugar.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Tiffany, I'll check that out. It sounds like you and I are on the same diet plan. I have been eating a lot (relatively speaking) of potatoes, since I'm limiting all grains including rice. I think I'll have to give them up for a while and see how I do. Every time I eat fruit I feel like I react, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have to stay away from that too. The more I get into this, the more my diet is turning into the Caveman Diet.

I did a lot of research before having my fillings replaced and could not find a convenient dentist that followed the procedures. I talked to a local dentist and was comfortable with him so I decided to go ahead against my better judgement. I think he did a good job and I'm not sure (yet) that it's mercury toxicity. Although, I do believe part of it is. I ended up having to have a root canal and it also turned out that I had an infection that wasn't showing up on the xray. Part of the problem may also be TMJ (I have an appointment for that coming up). The antibiotics seem to be helping, so I'm hoping that that's why I was feeling bad and not as much due to the mercury. Now I think part of my feeling crummy is due to the antibiotics. Until I get off those I won't really be able to gauge how I'm doing.

Anyway, thanks for that link. I'm going to check it out now :0).
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren, I've been eating a ton of potatoes lately too! I don't feel as good today as I did yesterday, I had 3 baked potatoes yesterday haha.

Jenny Mccarthy's son has autism and she said she cured it by feeding him a gluten free dairy free and sugar free diet, with no fruit either. She also said that she doesn't feed him sugar because it causes candida to grow, and that when she killed the candida, he came out of his autism.
Here's a link to that: http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200709/tows_past_20070918_c1.jhtml
Tiffany P
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if I want to start the no sugar yet. Don't we need like blood sugar? I think I'll ask for a candida test from my doctor, then see if I need to go sugar free later.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren,

I got my first bottles of Iodoral from my chiropracter, but I don't think he carries it anymore. I think my vitamin store carries it too, but I'm not out yet so I haven't checked. I know it is available online several places, too.

I think the iodine will be a big help to me also. I know that the dietary changes I have made have helped a great deal, but the iodine has started helping too. I am wondering about mercury toxicity too so am researching that. I want to get tested, but don't yet know what to ask for and who to ask. :-)

Getting healthy-a full time job! But so worth it!
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if I want to start the no sugar yet. Don't we need like blood sugar? I think I'll ask for a candida test from my doctor, then see if I need to go sugar free later.

Tiffany - your body breaks just about everything down into simple sugars for your body to use in the end. You don't have to consume dietary sugar to maintain your blood sugar levels. ~_^
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I see, thanks!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the average person who knows little about MSG or its cousin additives eliminates wheat and dairy products, they are essentially eliminating most processed foods that contain MSG. It's true that in the beginning, cutting down or eliminating gluten and dairy will cut down in your glutamate intake and that will give you a boost. But if you do not have a true allergy to gluten or lactose, you might be able to handle more homemade baked goods (and some whole dairy products) later on as your body begins to heal and run more efficiently. That was true for me, anyway. Dr. Mercola recently ran an article which basically said that we are missing the boat with blaming sugar for all our ills. He said there is more danger from artifical sweeteners, and suggested cane sugar instead of beet sugar. We also list beet sugar as a no no, since sugar beets are high in naturally occurring glutamate. Once processed, beet sugar will contain free glutamate residues. I try to go easy on sugar, as it can be addicting and I want to shed some weight. I do use stevia quite a bit, but do best when I try to be moderate with sugar. Refined anything is not the best choice.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., I like that you brought out the fact about sugar being addictive. I know a lot of people who don't realize this. And the less you use of it the less you crave.
Tiffany P
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree about the artificial sweeteners being far more dangerous than plain sugar. I would hate to give up all sugar including fruit unless I discover that I have a problem with candida. I'm getting a blood test on Thursday, I hope the results are accurate.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've been off msg, gluten, dairy, and caffeine for a while, I feel so much better. I'm not sure which things were bothering me, I know for sure that msg and caffeine bothered me really bad.

I'm giving up sugar starting today, because I'm going on the candida diet, and going to start anti fungal meds for that. Hopefully I'll fully recover some day.

I found a can of organic tomato sauce at the store today, I bought a bunch, but I'm sceptical of the ingredients. It all looks safe, but it lists onion powder. I hope that doesn't have any hidden msg!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiff, Glad you are feeling much better. Did the results from your blood test indicate the need to go off sugar and on anti-fungal meds? I'm just asking because I'm totally ignorant about this.
Tiffany p.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, the tests were all normal. But the Dr. I am seeing said that sometime the tests look normal, but there is still an overgrowth of candida, and they go ahead and treat it based off symptoms someone has.

I just look at like, I have nothing to loose, there aren't really any side affects from the meds, and I've already cut so much out of my diet, cutting out sugar doesn't make that much difference to me. I don't know what else to do! I just hope it helps.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tiffany,

Good luck with your anti-candida regimen. You might want to check out the phenomenal website www.bodyecology.com. I can recommend her wonderful book and other products.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another great website is http://www.wholeapproach.com. Also, Dr. Crook's book The Yeast Connection is great. Best wishes.
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Cherylin ans Nana, I will check them out.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, do you have our book?
Tiffany P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb, no I don't have the book yet.
Anonymous

Posted From: 98.177.149.91
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 9:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany -- I know this post was from a while back, but I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder 7 years ago. (I am almost 23). I was literally put on EVERY mediation for the disorder (about 23?) and no relief. I never thought I'd get better. After trying a MSG-free diet, I am now happy, healthy, stable, and have been med free for 9 months now -- a completely miracle considering I was off my rocker before. I still have symptoms if I eat a restaurant meal, but otherwise, I'm symptom free.

Other symptoms: Heart arrythmias, eyesight deterioration, diagnosed hiatal hernia, brain fog and severe memory loss, 100 lb weight gain, diarrhea, clamminess/severe sweating

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page