Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Can't sleep or stop talking

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Can't sleep or stop talking « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 68.14.137.55
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had several nights during a stressful time where I can't sleep, can't stop talking, and become increasingly agitated. No matter how hard I try to stop myself in various ways I can't. It seems very physical and I noticed the last 2 times I had eaten Chinese food that is advertised as "no msg". I try to avoid msg as I had blushing face/headache symptoms earlier in life.
Do you think these night symptoms could be msg related?
Do you think benadryl will help stop these symptoms if they occur again while I figure it out?
I have been searching for hours and am so thankful to find this site. Thanks so much.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you use any of the sauces like soy? I recently discovered that I can't take Benedryl anymore, maybe because of the dyes. Probably you're best bet is to try Debs test diet on www.msgmyth.com. It's better to eliminate the source than to medicate and mask it.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, the blushing and headache are common symptoms that many of us experienced for years before becoming more and more MSG reactive. Yes, the sleeplessness and agitation and mind racing with talk and thought, are very indicative of an increasingly serious sensitivity to this toxin. Please try to look at your diet and make some major changes. You can read my story on our site at www.msgmyth.com, and see how my symptoms were similar and how they escalated over the years. MSG is destroying brain cells, stimulating them that many die or are damaged. I hope you will find the answers you are seeking. We are here to help you.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Anon,
I just looked up my first posts here for you because I had similiar symptoms. I am also copying the some of the answers to my first posts. One of the most telling responses was "A lifetime of MSG abstinance, no more, no less." After almost five years of this, I can say, that is a totally correct statement, unfortunately.
It really sounds like MSG is your problem.

"Hi everyone,
I am posting here for the first time. After accidentally consuming MSG, the worst symptom I have is a severe reddening of my cheeks and nose, along with an intense pressure which feels like my face will explode any minute. My face becomes so hot that I literally think I must have a fever of 150 degrees. This normally happens about 4 hours after I go to bed, but lasts (along with insomnia and GI distress) a good 36 hours or more. During those hours, I am just plain sick--like you have all described on the board before me. So, I must be having headaches in my face instead of my head? As the bright red areas across my cheeks diminish, I am left with one or two new bright red spots (flat, small like freckles) under my skin. Sometimes they are even blue or purple. I am beginning to have a polka dotted face. I am eliminating MSG and aspartame to the best of my ability, but this is still happening with such frequency. Has anyone had any experiences like this, and is there anything that will help the symptoms when they occur while I am learning how to avoid MSG and the offending substances? I really admire and am envious of all of you for your knowledge and successes in learing how to eat! Thank you for any comments.
DJ
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 7:21 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lisa Marie!

I feel I must post your answer, because
unfortunately, what you are describing are
acute ROSACEA symptoms.....

For years I believed that what I had was a
serious "no cure" disease, that would only leave me disfigured without daily high doses of antibiotics....

Isn't it great?? If I had only known 8 years ago that MSG was indeed the cause of this grief, I could have spared myself years of anguish, and now possibly arthritis from 8 years of antibiotic use from doctors who are "clueless"...

Good news though!!! My episodes of severe red face and nose are pretty much a thing of the past!!! It has taken me years to clean out my system of this poison (MSG) BUT.....it can be done

If you need to know more about ROSACEA, look it up on Google.....but know one thing....it can be eliminated.....and the cause is certain....late stage monosodium glutamate poisoning..

DJ
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:00 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This info needs to be posted on Rosacea chat rooms.
DJ
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 5:59 am:

Hi Deb!!!

A few years back, I was a poster on a Rosacea newsboard...but after a couple of computer crashes I lost the link. I have been trying to find it for months, it was a small board, with just a few posters. I have looked and looked, and can't find it.....Right before I left, I had already been warning about MSG (posted here about that a few times) and getting a little flack from a man who I think was a plant for the pharmaceutical company Galderma, who is the sponsor of the National Rosacea Society...anyway, I agree with you, it should be posted, and I will find any that I can, and post.

I have also shared with my doctor the last time I went in for a checkup, which was well over a year ago, who believe it or not, finally listened to me. His reply "isn't that interesting", but you know what? This time he really WAS listening! I have no reason to return to his office, but I could and will write to him about my progress. Whenever I see someone coming into my work, and ordering the chicken noodle soup, with a face full of Rosacea, I want to say, "hey, you really shouldn't be eating this"!
Oh well, I pray that I will have the strength to do all this, and the opportunity to one day make a difference where I work....thanks for the nudge, God Bless you......

DJ
Lisa Marie
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 8:26 am:

Hi Deb and DJ,
Thank you for your responses. In trying to find a Rosacea board, what I got was this:

http://www.skincarerx.com/rosacea/list.php?f=2

I will post there and see what happens, but it doesn't look like anyone there is connecting symptoms to MSG. DJ, is there anything you have found which calms down the pain and redness? Drinking ice water? Cool compresses, anything? I never really thought I had Rosacea, because no dermatologist ever told me that-but also because of the pain and tightness, and I don't have the 'patch-like' areas of skin, for lack of a better word. But I definately have vasodialation in my face constantly, and MSG makes it exceedingly worse!
paula
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:48 am:

hi lisa i had a quick look through uk sites and i found one that looks quite good. they are connecting to some foods but not msg. maybe you could help them.
http://www.acne-rosacea.co.uk/
DJ
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

Hi Lisa!

I use to splash my face with cold water so much that my face was constantly chapped. It does help somewhat, but then you are dealing with a whole new set of problems. Ice at the base of my neck also helped a little. In my opinion Lisa, when the severe redness starts to happen, it just means that you are already saturated on the inside with MSG. That is when the Doctors start prescribing their antibiotic regiment, or topical antibiotics, which is what I was on for about 8 years, since last October.

Antibiotics help the pain and the redness, Lisa Marie, but they are not the cure. The cure is a lifetime of MSG abstinence, no more, no less.

If you don't have Deb's book, please consider getting it. It has a wealth of information on everything you need to know. The red patches, or lesions as my doctor calls them, came AFTER one serious red face episode after another.......I started the same way that you did, with a red and swollen face so bad, that I became almost unrecognizable. Unfortunately, this is a progressive disease...

DJ
Lisa Marie
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 1:59 pm:

Hi DJ,

Thank you for responding again. I totally know that I am already saturated with MSG, and all I want to do is get rid of it! Believe me, I am NOT going to take any antibiotics, topically or otherwise for this. I cannot even take them without getting more red in the face.
I have ordered Deb's book and can't wait to get it. I am understanding how hard it is do NOT injest this stuff, and I have narrowed my eating down to almost nothing until I can learn what is safe. It is really awful to know that there is not one thing to make my face feel better until all this junk is out of me-if that ever happens.
You talked about the progression of your disease, and I can see that is where I am headed if I can't control this. May I ask how long it took you to have any relief from this?
I have been on a Diabetic Diet for 23 years, so I know how difficult it is to eat very differently than the people around us. (It is very socially isolating, but hey, if you are too sick inside your house to go out you have no friends anyway). This is a lot harder than just avoiding sugar, and I am not looking forward to it. But, I AM looking forward to having some relief!
One more question. Did you have other symptoms besides the facial stuff? That is how I ultimately put this together--the insomnia and GI distress which always accompany it. Thanks DJ."

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page