Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

soy lecithin in gum...is this MSG??

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » soy lecithin in gum...is this MSG?? « Previous Next »

anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what soy lecithin is? It is in the gum I chew, and is the only ingredient that I question. The rest is ok.
Thank you.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was going to give you my summary of soy lecithin but decided rather to suggest you might try googling it and read several of the top sites - there is quite a bit to take in.
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did before and did not find much on it. I will try again.
Thank you
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's the fatty residue left over from processing soy beans...for oil, and other soy products. Since soy beans are very hard, they are often soaked in water to which chemicals like sulfites or other acids are sometimes added to soften them. In some instances, they are simmered. Since soy beans are very high in glutamate, the process used to isolate its various byproducts, often creates free form glutamate, the form found in MSG. Sulfites or other "food grade" chemicals may also be present. Even though lecithin is not the protein part of the bean, there are often glutamate residues left behind in the product. Depending on methods used in the factory, different lecithin products will contain more or less glutamate residues than others. Some of us will react to one lecithin containing product more than another for this reason. I have found that I do fine with one dark chocolate bar containing some lecithin and not as well with another. This can also mean that one contains more lecithin than another. Keep a food journal and record any suspected reactions to certain products. It sure helps when you go shopping again.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page