Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Arthritis...Is there any success stor...

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » Arthritis...Is there any success stories of anyone who had it? « Previous Next »

Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have it and it scares me. I am trying so hard to start eating extremly well in hopes this can help. I have consumed lots of junk food through out my life and believe MSG is a killer.
My type is the OA.
I have seen no success stories from anyone so far who has Arthritis. I am scared and so want some hope that I can still live a normal life.
If you have gotten better please let me know so I can have hope. This is such a wonderful site.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Molly. I say, give it a try! Your health will be better off without MSG regardless! If eliminating MSG helps, then great! If not, you might try eliminating the nightshade vegetables - tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant. I have heard that that works for a lot of arthritis sufferers.
Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Becky, I will.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, when you feel better after eliminating MSG, I'm guessing you would be more inclined to excercise, which is supposed to help arthritis. It's a big assumption that you don't already excercise, but I know it's a painful condition and would think excercise would be difficult.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Molly, I have a chronic inflamation of the sacroiliac joint. One doctor said it is arthritic - another one said he didn't see any evidence of that. So I don't really know if I have arthritis or not, but I definitely know I am a lot better when I avoid MSG and the like. Everyone, including my doctors think I am imagining things, but I am absolutely positive that MSG makes it a lot worse. I'd say give the diet a try - it can't hurt. Becky suggested avoiding the nightshade veggies - I have also heard there are other foods to include and avoid if you have arthritis. I have forgotten what most of them are, but if you want I can research it again and let you know.
Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Dianne, I would be grateful for that. Anything to help! What is the sacroiliac joint?
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 3:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Molly, Here are some of the things I found and remember.

One of the known correlations between food and arthritis is that omega-6 fatty acids increase inflammation, and omega-3 fatty acids reduce it. Limit intake of red meat and increase your intake of cold-water fish, such as sardines, mackerel, trout, and salmon.
Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid the body uses to make anti-inflammatory agents, unlike other omega-6 fatty acids that actually increase inflammation. It's found in evening primrose oil, black currant oil, and borage oil supplements. Several studies show it relieves the stiffness and pain of RA. In one study, some patients were able to quit taking NSAIDs.

Ginger is believed to reduce joint pain and inflammation in people with OA and RA, and protect the stomach from gastrointestinal effects of NSAIDs. A clinical study showed ginger reduced knee OA pain.

Other:
Maintain ideal weight
Use olive, canola, and flaxseed oil
Avoid corn, safflower, and sunflower oils.
Avoid too much sugar and sodium
Avoid fasting or crash dieting
Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids
Avoid caffeine, fried foods, red meats, chocolate, spicy food, milk, all chemical additives, pepper.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin:
Chondroitin sulfate. Used for many years in Europe to relieve OA pain, it's been shown to stop joint degeneration, improve function, and ease pain. One study followed patients with OA in finger joints for three years, and showed fewer patients developed further cartilage damage. It can take two months or more to realize the effects of chondroitin.

As glucosamine hydrochloride or glucosamine sulfate, this supplement relieves symptoms for many, but not all, people with OA. It helps the body build and repair cartilage. In a double-blind study, glucosamine sulfate was as effective in relieving symptoms in patients with knee OA as ibuprofen and had fewer side effects. It takes about two months to realize the effectiveness of this supplement. And it's derived from crab, lobster, or shrimp shells, so check with your doctor before taking any kind of glucosamine if you are allergic to shellfish.

Be aware that many supplements interfere with or enhance effects of medications you're already taking. For example, a number of supplements increase the effects of blood-thinning medication. Check with your doctor.

Molly, I believe there were other things to avoid - when I come across them I'll post again.
Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 5:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much. I don't take any meds at this time. So, I am hoping to hault this with proper diet and some supplements.
I was a salt freak, sugar ect.
I have always believed food caused this problem.
Hope I can make it to good health again. At least I am on the road.
You are very kind to have taken the time to help.
Thank you!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are very welcome. I feel like the least I can do is try to help someone else....the folks on the board have been so kind and helpful to me. Yes, you are on the road. Good health to you.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page