Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I learned a tough lesson today - don'...

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your Symptoms » I learned a tough lesson today - don't trust someone to read a label for you!! « Previous Next »

Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the last two plus weeks have been going really well - with minor reactions here and there. Today I made the mistake of trusting someone when I asked about some almonds being offered, "What's in them?" "Just dry-roasted almonds and sea salt." "Oh, OK." ... five minutes later... "There's something else in here." "What?" "Malto something." "Maltodextrin?" "Yeah." "Oh, crap."

You all weren't kidding when you said that the first few months cause worse reactions than before you cut MSG and other additives. About two hours later I thought I was going to die with stomach pains. I know it wasn't in my head because it was worse than anything I'd ever experienced as an MSG reaction - including a sharp headache. I almost went home from work but had too much to do. The worst of it was over as quickly as it started a couple hours later - but I'm still paying.

That's a tough lesson to learn - read labels even when someone says that there's nothing else in something. I know I'm a beginner and I'm bound to make some mistakes - that is one mistake from which I have definitely learned.

Ouch. :-(
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, many people translate ingredients like that to mean 'nothing'. It's really hard to trust anyone but yourself on making sure a food is safe. Like you said - "that's a tough lesson to learn"....but learning is a good thing....and passing it on to others is great. Thanks.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the topic of nuts, I know almonds are supposed to be high in natural glutamate, but what about pecans? Any reason I'd be reacting to those? Maybe I have a problem with anything in the nut family.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren,
A lot of people are allergic to nuts. Perhaps you are having an allergic reaction?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page