ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)Deb A.2-04-08  10:33 am
White things on tonsilssara20 6-19-11  4:37 pm
Rash on inner thigh and itching in rear endAmy N.7-21-08  6:36 am
Swelling..LaurenC11-03-08  4:08 am
Reaction to Organic Whole Wheat FlourDeb A.12 2-01-11  6:22 pm
I HATE YOU, MSGLynn7-17-08  11:36 am
MSG and arthritis connection???Sharon1-17-08  5:08 pm
Ranch Dressing RecipeDianne1-17-08  2:19 am
I learned a tough lesson today - don't trust someone to read a labe...Becky1-23-08  8:44 pm
My Many Symptoms Of MSG Poisoning! Knowing This Is The Beginning Of...Deb A.25 2-18-08  2:42 pm
Arthritis...Is there any success stories of anyone who had it? Dianne1-26-08  11:15 am
soy lecithin in gum...is this MSG??Deb A.1-31-08  8:05 am
Is optic nerve hypoplasia a symptommsgkills5-01-08  11:53 am
Can't sleep or stop talkingLisa Marie5-12-08  5:26 pm
Mental illness from MSG?Anonymous71 4-17-13  9:03 pm
Trip to the ERMischa14 6-14-08  6:25 pm
In tears - please help. I want to just give upDianne51 8-19-08  4:36 am
Severe lower back pain?Melinda8-01-08  8:38 pm
SupplementsDi5-04-10  10:16 am
HiccupsJames D.10-17-08  3:52 pm
How I figured out something was REALLY not right...Roy Piwovar25 1-06-09  11:25 pm
Severe Bloating Distention Constipation- Could be MSG?LisaS19 3-05-13  2:33 pm
Hayfever and SneezingDeb A.14 1-28-09  8:46 am
Hemorrhoids?Deb A.4-06-09  2:32 pm
Anxiety, nightmares, rage, weight gain in childrenDeb A.6-08-09  11:39 am
Cornstarch as powderDeb A.7-03-09  10:22 am
MSG reaction in 14 month old ?guruofmsg4-16-10  8:00 pm
Figured out the MSG thing TONIGHT!!Deb A.12 2-01-11  6:26 pm
Is Ezekiel bread okLisaS4-22-12  6:50 pm
Bone pain, childrenDeb A.11 5-17-12  10:06 pm
Migraines & MSG connectionDeb A.7-23-12  9:29 am
Humpty DumptyLisaS5-15-13  8:08 am
Update Son, periodic feversRoy Piwovar11-09-13  3:07 pm
Dizziness, ringing in the ears, etcAnonymous11-22-13  5:05 am
HivesJennifer2-11-14  8:17 pm
Brand new to MSG awarenessAdaLovelace17 6-15-14  2:23 pm
  Start New Thread        

Welcome to Share Your Symptoms. You may enter any of the discussions above by clicking on the appropriate link. Or, to start a new discussion of your own, click on the "Create New Conversation" button.

If adding a message below, ignore the reference to an account. Full names are not necessary in the username box. Passwords are not required.

Anonymous

Posted From: 24.177.167.97
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I react to msg for sure I get really hyper,dizzy,athsma,sometimes vomit but by far the stangest new symptom is almost every time I eat anything that is not organic my voice changes and gets really deep. I get the same reaction with most cheeses and butter. I don't know anyone or have ever heard of anyone with these symptoms. Please if anyone out there has experienced this voice change let me know.
Thanks Marie B.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get very hoarse when I'm reacting to somehting. The hoarsness is also a symptom of hypothyroidism.
MarieB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You so much!It helps to know I am not alone! Lauren, do you react right away after eating? And what types of food seem to cause your prolbems?
Anyone else? This has bothered me so mcuh, not to say the many other problems I have gone through!
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi MarieB,

It's usually not right away, but I'd say within several hours. It's an uncomfortable thing to be sure, especially since fatigue usually accompanies it. I feel like it's a struggle to talk (for lack of a better way to explain it).

I'm still trying to pin down foods that I react to, but barring MSG poisoned foods, I do know so far: tomatoes, wheat, any cheese but fresh mozerella and jack, and excessive cream and sugar (I was making a lot of ice cream for a while :0).

It's been about 3 months for me, and the elimination process is slow, but I'll get it eventually (I hope).
Rose
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My reactions are usually in my throat now, used to be stomach and I believe my panic attacks are brought on by msg, but but now its my throat closing up and tongue swelling up. Some foods and medicines I react very swiftly while some take a few hours
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might try using an organic butter that only lists cream and salt as the ingredients. I soften 1 cup of organic butter and slowly beat in 2/3 cup of good mild olive oil. Then I beat in 1/3 cup ice cold water, slowly...use a mixer. Season with salt and a tiny pinch of cane sugar. Some people use equal parts butter to oil. Be sure to try different brands of mild whole milk cheeses to see how you do with them. You may also be reacting to sulfites...symptoms you mention are also associated with these terrible preservatives....they are added to some cheeses and other dairy products quite often...not to organic milk, however. Cows are systematically given sulfa drugs to prevent infections, so it is also present in the milk as a result...along with hormones and other antibiotics...not in organic milk. I do best with Organic Valley whole milk and salted butter....we dilute the whole milk by half...great ice cold to drink or to use in cooking. Have used other organic butters successfully, too. I do okay with Tillamook mild cheeses.
Brandy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:52 am:

Received this recently. She said I could share her story.

"Hello again Deb,

My name is Brandy _____. Last year you and my mom talked on the phone, I had drank the soup at a Japanese restaurant and my throat/esophagus inflamed leaving me unable to swallow solid foods. Just thought I would let you know how I'm doing. Last year, I racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills going from doctor to doctor trying to get them to figure out what is going on with my throat. It seems so obvious that there is some type of disease/disorder that was severely aggravated when I drank that warm soup (By the way, I found out the ingredients to that Little Cup of Death - Salt, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Enriched Flour, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soybean Oil, Chicken Fat, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavoring, Dehydrated Onion, Onion Powder, Spice, Oleoresin Turmeric, Caramel Color, Paprika, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate). I had numerous blood tests, testing for almost everything under the sun, barium swallows, nerve conduction studies, manometry studies, endoscopies, laryngoscopies, xrays, cat scans, MRIs, biopsies. I still have no answers. I am STILL having to puree my food. I have fiercly learned how to avoid MSG and it's many other names, I am just sticking to plain whole food. Unfortunately, avoiding it is not helping my throat. I am not reacting, my problem is a result from ONE REACTION! ONE LITTLE CUP OF SOUP! The right half of my throat and neck were severely attacked and eaten away. My right jaw joint was also nearly eaten away. As a result, I have developed severe depression, and I have been in a psychiatric unit twice. I can't believe glutamate has ruined my life. I no longer have any hopes and dreams. I used to think about all the things I wanted to do in life and get butterflies in my stomach. Now, I have a death wish, and I'm only 22. It may seem strange that it has brought me down so low, but it has. I have been trying to hold on to Jesus, hoping that he will bless me with the miracle of a restored throat. You have my permission to share my story with anyone, as well as my first name. I know that word is spreading and many, many more people are beginning to avoid it, and I'm so glad for them!! But, I wish I had been warned. Thank you for all that you're doing to spread the word, I'm glad to see that the 700 club brought you a lot of new book orders. Hopefully one day I will write and say that God has healed me!
Hope you are having a good evening!
Brandy"

Hi everyone,
Above was my story over a year ago. I am very happy to report that I am doing much better (Thank you Jesus!). I am now working at a wellness store (like a mini whole foods) and have told countless people my story and educated them about excitotoxins. Today alone I talked to many customers about it and how it "could be" the cause of their or their child's ailments. I directed each of them to this site and msgtruth.org. OH MY GOSH, it is absolutely enraging how many customers I have with children that are autistic, hyperactive, and/or severely allergic to wheat, dairy, corn, rice, eggs, nuts, seafood, etc.. Is there any such thing as people having healthy babies these days? I wonder. I have a lot more to say but I am about to fall over asleep. :-) Will be posting more often.
Love you all.
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brandy, that is such wonderful news! Thank you for sharing. I think it's great that you are working in an industry where you can help spread the word and use the opportunity to do so.
Brandy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., wanted to bump this to make sure you read the update I posted on the 15th up there^^, since I was one of the extremely severe cases that you may remember. I remember that your husband sent the book to me without even receiving the payment yet because he heard you talking about how severe my case was! It was made clear to me some time ago through my own research that I had an autoimmune attack in my throat characteristic of lupus (I do have the butterfly rash) brought on by the Little Cup of Death. Its been over 2 years now and thankfully by avoiding bad things my throat has healed itself to an extent that I can now eat most solid foods. THANK YOU Deb & Mike for everything!!!!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brandy, I sure do remember you! We have thought of you many times, wondering how you were. Now we know you are doing so much better and it gives me goosebumps! I am going to print up your post and show it to Mike right now. Thanks for coming back and updating us on your frightening condition. Not being able to eat solid food for so long must have been terrifying. I'm just so happy to know you so much better than last we heard from you! Thanks again for letting us know.
Anonymous

Posted From: 65.101.105.234
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this site recently and here are the symptoms I have: nausea, numbness toes and fingers, low blood pressure, postnasal drip, tightness of chest, shortness of breath, asthma, gastroenteritis, stomach pain and gas, hoarseness, chronic cough, dark circles under eyes, GERD, acid stomach and HIGH COUNT OF EOSINOPHILS. I have been to several doctors and they cannot figure it out what causes the high eosinophils and White Blood Cells, they have been playing the guessing game: maybe you have multiple myeloma(negative), or lupus(negative), or parasites(negative), or infection(not known where), or allergies (which I do) but now they think maybe it is leukemia and want me to do a bone marrow biopsy.
I am doing the no MSG test diet and feel better but still having stomach pain and nausea, caused by a high accumulation of eosinophils in the mucosa lining of the stomach and small intestine (found thru a biopsy). I purchased Debbys book and I am following all the instructions. The high acid in the stomach is still a problem so I had to resort to Prevacid. I hate taking drugs and also take Advair for asthma. I would love to let go of all drugs, does any one have suggestions or the same experience with high eosinophils?
Thank you for being so helpful here.
Evanir
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have severe inflamation in my muscles...causes back ache, vertigo, ringing in my ears, neck tension and I also get hives. Three questions:
What type of doc are you all seeing for this inflamation which seems much like RA??
Can you recommend one around Walla Walla WA?

And what supplements are any females taking for the inflamation and hives? I think Ia m sensitive to all variations of MSG, soy and Sulfites?

Oh and are there tests that can be done to test which substances I am sensitive to because I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overwhelmed.

Was totally healthy until a year ago I had a sinus infection and took amoxicillan and the hives started and then new symptoms every month...hairloss, vertigo, nasal stuffiness all the time, ringing in the ears, painful geographic tongue, belly problems. All this happened as I stopped breast feeding so I am assuming the hormone factor is a player. Have two small boys and was in bed with the dizziness ALL SUMMER! HELP? I do feel better since I stopped soy and am eatting right. Had a Halloween party Saturday and had to avoid everything...ate a banana and water! Yipee. But no reactions...had eatten one bite of a store cupcake and hives, dizziness, back muscles seized up, muscles all over my body ached, stomach ache..numb throat, tongue started swelling....ONE BITE. HUGS to you all.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cathy, do you have our book? I suspect that you are not avoiding enough excitoxins...MSG, aspartame, l-cysteine. Your symptoms are very typical of MSG toxicity. You need to avoid the hidden sources. Your symptoms were just like mine...had each one you listed for years. But I learned to avoid hidden glutamate religiously and it paid off. You can read my story at www.msgmyth.com. I was tested for RA, but my inflammation only flares up if I eat MSG by mistake. Still have ringing ears on occasion, but the rest are gone, even the nasal stuffiness. Hormones play into it. MSG is an inflammatory agent and an endocrine dispruptor.
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, thank you so much for writing back. I still have questions.
I have the cookbook.....but am still overwhelmed. Haven't looked into l-cysteine yet.

Can you please tell me which doc you see that helps? I live 40 minutes from you, I think!

Can a doctore test for too much glutamate?
Can docs test for which MSG substance I might react to? I already know a few of them...i.e. citric acid, MSG....but th narrowing down is horribley frustrating. I have seen some on here mention tests but.....just wondering.

Can one take an anti glutamate drug?

I am trying to avoid stuff but keep having hives (actually they aren't raised...just red patches that itch) and severe inflammation (in eye causing blurred vision, floating black spots and ear causing ringing, neck and back causing dizziness/vertigo). I am blessed that my reactions happen right away...I think.

For dinner, I ate all organic veggies, Tyson chicken that says no hormones although, it is not organic but then I ate some organic chocolate. Reaction! I am at the point that I am considering eating only brown rice for three meals and then might add one veggie or meat a day. Has anyone tried this?

I emailed you, Deb....I think at avenger@msgmyth.com...is this still your email address?

Am very overwhelmed also by the supplements. I am conflicted because I only want to take what will help MY symptoms...for example I do not have the racing heart issue (only once) so I do not want to take what those who do have that symptom take. I need something for the inflammation (it's like something is either being stolen from my muscles or released into my muscles/joints), and something for the hives. Once I stopped soy...my tummy is much better. I have seen you all mainly talk about CoQ10, Magnesium, B vits, Vit C, Taurine mainly. What should a 34 year old female take?

Every doc I have seen including allergist say, I am having some sort of mast cell hypersensitivity and it'll pass in a few years. One doc said it was an endocrine problem but the Endocrinologist said she could not find anything....thank God. I left many appts. crying. My quality of life was suffering and all I wanted in the world was to be a healthy Momma for my boys. I begged God two weeks ago to just let me figure it out and that day....I found your site and had a reaction to a mocha with soy milk (assuming it was the soy). But having a very hard time decifering what I can eat.

Thanks so much for your help.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cathy218,
Have you tried Deb's elimination diet on the first page. Honestly, it is the only way to start to find out what items are giving you problems. If you eat her diet for one week, and then add only one new food a day, it is the only way you can isolate exactly what foods cause your problems.
I am wondering what antibiotic you took just before this happened?
I have had vertigo, and I would suggest you be certain you do not have BPPV (because that is readily treatable):
Benign Positional Vertigohttp://www.emedicinehealth.com/benign_positional_vertigo/article_em.htm

It also sounds like you would benefit from Probiotics. I have never found any which cause me problems.

The cookbook is not magic unless you know what kinds of foods to buy. Again, the way to figure that out is the elimation diet. Tyson chicken does not agree with me. For instance, Smart chicken does-http://www.smartchicken.com/
Lundberg rice does. Cage free eggs do.
Keep posting and people here will help you.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy218, Lisa Marie's advise about the "elimination diet" is very good. I don't know of any other way to try to narrow down what is safe to eat. But even on the "eliminatoin diet" you do have to choose organic if possible and pay particular attention to the processing and retention of solution in poultry. Deb's book is much more than a cookbook so what you don't see here you will probably find in the book. Thanksgiving may give you a challenge as 99% of turkeys retain an added solution and other dishes are traditionally made with processed foods. My guess is that with patience and persistence you will be able to eliminate most if not all of your symptoms. None of us found instant relief. What one person finds "unsafe", another person can tolerate - everyone is a little different and has varying degrees of sensitivity. Keep posting and we'll try to help you as best we can.
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Test, Doc, Supplements
1)
Is there a test to see which form of MSG (MSG, Citric Acid etc.), phosphates, suflfites etc. one is sensitive to.
2) What type of doc is treating you all who have hives, muscle inflammation?
3) What supplements (and brand) do you take for inflammation symptoms (my muscles seize up in my neck and back and that tightness causes ringing in my ears, blurred vision on left side, vertigo in left ear and dizziness. Need my muscles to relax. Physical therapy helps keep the dizziness at bay but massaging my neck.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know of any doctors in your area, cathy...only the ones here in town that I go to. No, there are no tests, since all tests would be postive for glutamate's presence...it's present in our bones, blood..etc. You might ask if the amount of glutamate present in your blood is a normal amount??? I take Ibuprofen for inflammation. I always suggest that people new to this, read the first 81 pages of the book at least 2 times and make a list of the hidden aliases. Mochas and latte's most always contain glutamate...one needs to read all labels and ask if buying at restaurants and such. Don't worry about supplements right now. The ones mentioned here are ones that have been suggested by Dr. Blaylock and others...they are good for anyone who has to deal with glutamate toxicity...not just one symptom. I rarely have had racing heart, but I do feel better when I am taking 1/3 scoop of the Beyond-A-Century C0Q10 powder a day. When I get a reaction...usually headache and nausea, I take 3 to 4 Ibuprofen (my doctor prescribed one pill that has the same dosage as 4, but am out) and a generic Benedryl...2 pills. I sleep well from the latter, and the Ibuprofen really takes the edge off the headache. When I was at my worst and wasn't completely, religiously avoiding MSG, I had horrible inflammation and vertigo, colitis, and so much more. It was a nightmare. I wish I could help you more. Remember, if you are eating or drinking just one item a day that has hidden glutamate, it may be setting you up daily.
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had no problem driving to Kennewick...I saw in your book you mentioned an allergist in Kennewick but after research, found he is no longer living. I have called allergists and they basically say, "Your on your own." I was hoping they would have a test for red dye #20, or MSG, citric acid etc. It surprises me considerabley that they can put mold in a test tube and test your allergy to that but not citric acid. GRRRRR>

I take Benedyl a few tims a day now. Doc suggested Singular. Do you take Magnesium or B vits? Thanks so much for our time!

No flushing/hives today! Tight, tight neck though. Prob. flared from previous slip ups.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy218,

Jangled nerves can lead to tight, tight muscles. I have that frequently. I take ibuprofen to help with the symptoms - it has been the only thing that has worked for 20 years. People that react to free-glutamate don't have an allergy per se, just a sensitivity.

"In both Allergy Sensitivities and Chemical Sensitivities there is the similar experience of being exposed to something and having a reaction. The difference is the cause of the reaction. One is an allergic reaction; the other is a toxic chemical reaction.

Allergic reactions are the result of a chemical exposure stimulating the immune system to release natural chemicals. These natural chemicals are directly responsible for the effects experienced. However, a toxic chemical reaction is directly the result of the toxic chemical acting on the cells of the body.

Consequently, we can summarize the difference between an allergic reaction and a toxic chemical reaction this way:

In an allergy reaction, the chemical exposure just acts as a trigger. It is not the bullet.

In a toxic chemical reaction, the chemical exposure is the bullet."
http://www.hrni.ca/Allergy_vs_Chemical_S.htm

"There are many tests used by different allergists and orthomolecular or environmental ecologists. These are as follows:

RAST - as explained above, this is used by most progressive allergist MD's today. But, since it doesn't show up sensitivities well, many allergists just ignore them.

Scratch - This is also used by many allergists but is considered to be obsolete by most scientific observers. It does show some sensitivities but is difficult to interpret.

EPT - The End-point-Titration test is perhaps the most accurate of all tests, and it shows both allergy and sensitivity. It does not distinguish between them, and it has the advantage of not only the most accurate testing method, but it also creates the "correct" dosage for "corrective shots" as it tests. Details plus description of this test are in my book. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine keeps lists of physicians that do EPT and other modern testing.

Cytotoxic Test - This is a test for food and chemical sensitivities, and it also shows up food/chemical allergies, but not as clearly, and like the EPT test, it does not distinguish between them. It is now considered somewhat outdated and replaced by the ALCAT test below. .I did use it in my practice however with good results.

ALCAT - this test is an advance over the above Cytotoxic test, and it uses a similar method of observing white blood cells, but it is much improved with better accuracy. See Allergy Resources for a link to a site for this testing.

IgG - There are some facilities that test for IgG in much the same way as the RAST test does for IgE. This is supposed to find food/chemical sensitivities. I do not personally know enough about this technique to have an opinion about it.

Caveman Diet & Pulse Testing - This has one huge advantage over all the above, - IT'S FREE. Click on Pulse Test and Caveman Diet for a limited description of how to do this at home yourself."
http://drbate.com/Ref/allergy.html
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

very welcome :-) we all try.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne,
Thank you for posting the link to Dr. Bate's site. Have you experimented using any of his CDs? If yes, with what results? Sounds fascinating.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy218,

I thought of two other things that might help your inflammation/pain besides avoiding MSG/sulfites.

Have you tried eliminating all the nightshades from your diet?
http://noarthritis.com/nightshades.htm

I know it can be overwhelming when it doesn't seem there is anything 'safe' left to eat. The beginning is hard when trying to nail down the offenders which are setting you off. Dr. Sherry Rogers book PAIN-FREE IN SIX WEEKS is also a great reference.

A second tool I have used to reduce inflammation is explained at the following link:
http://www.sleepingearthed.com

I believe that any tool that can somehow help to increase the adaptive capacity of the body is a tool worth employing. But of course, first and foremost is the ELIMINATION OF ALL EXCITOTOXINS to the degree that it is possible.

Hang in there - things will start to look up sooner rather than later. This is the best place to find caring, supportive people who have been where you are.
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cherylin, So did you merely walk outside barefoot or did you purchase something from the website? I am open to all forms of healing including natural techniques. Just wondering which you found helpful. The inflammation is overwhelming. The neck and back are intensely tight...I got to pt twice a week and that keeps the dizziness at bay but....I will get this figured out. But is overwhelming!

For those of you who feel better...I wanted to thank you for coming back to check on and attempting to guide those of us who are newly struggling.

When ya'll started the new diet...did you also do a liver or other cleanse....I have never done this. Just wondering if something like my liver could be faulty and not filtering anything because I am reacting to everything!!!

Also as mention above by Dianne...she lists some testing...have you all done any of the testing to figure out which poisions are affecting you.....msg, sulfites, phosphates, citric acid etc?
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cathy,

Walking barefoot on the grass (which has not been pesticided) is always a wonderful idea. This will immediately dissipate any accumulating static electricity in your body. Yes, I did buy a product from this website but realized later that I wasted my money as I got better results when utilizing a Do It Yourself method. You can read all about my experiences and actual instructions on how to DIY here

http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/9/1443.html#POST19740

Electro-pollution is wreaking much havoc upon all of us, as unsuspecting as most folks are. I have two close friends who both suffer from EMF sensitivity, one of whom suffers from debilitating fibromyalgia pain when in close proximity to cell phones, cordless phones, computers or other electronic devices. Apparently EMF exposure actually compromises the blood/brain barrier which I conclude to mean that the more our blood/brain barrier is compromised, the more we will be affected by glutamate. Makes sense?

http://www.emf-health.com/blog/2005_03_27_archive.html

Yes - I definitely think it a fantastic idea to address the needs of the liver. Anything you can do to support this organ (ie. by cleansing or nutritionally) will pay off big-time dividends in your overall health since the liver performs hundreds of functions. It has been said that all allergies originate in the faulty functioning of the liver.

In the past I have used NAET to address allergies (you can do a Search on this forum to find out about this topic). I am currently doing something called BIE which I am finding enormously helpful in terms of upgrading my overall health. You can check out this fascinating new modality here

www.inht.ca/BIE_research_paper.pdf

I firmly believe that stress, no matter what the source, drastically reduces our adaptive capacity thereby rendering us more vulnerable to whatever we are being exposed to. I believe that whatever is plaguing me at the moment, no matter how unpleasant it might be, will eventually abate as I improve my diet, cleanse my body and find effective strategies to reduce my stress levels.

Lastly, what really helps me get through some very tough, discouraging moments is remembering that sometimes the greatest gifts come wrapped in sandpaper. What doesn't kill you definitely makes you stronger and puts you in an enviable position to help others navigate their way through what you have already endured and conquered.

Onward and upward - Cherylin
Amy C
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a semi-newbie to this site. I know I am msg sensitive and that some foods cause me more problems than others. My biggest offenders are chocolate and ice cream (my favorites). Even Breyer's natural vanilla causes me problems, as well as the dark imported chocolates. The common ingredient I see is soy lecithin. Is it possible that I could be sensitive to lecithin and still be okay with soy? Or does it all come from the same place?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lecithin contains glutamate residues. It is a by product of soybean processing, and soybeans are extremely high in glutamate. For this reason, we suggest that MSG sensitive people avoid soy products. Some soy products are more highly processed than others, so the amount of free glutamate present will differ. Citric acid is made from hydrolyzed corn by-products, and also contains glutamate residues. The other problem with citric acid, is that the high acidic content, when added to foods high in bound or naturally occurring glutamate, act to break down the proteins further, releasing more free glutamate. It's being added to EVERYTHING today! Are you reacting to plain dark chocolate or filled chocolates or both? There are dark chocolate bars that don't contain lecithin...just a bit harder to find. Many chocolates also contain sulfites.
Amy C
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Deb, for the info. I'm reacting to plain dark and filled chocolates. The only chocolate I've found safe for me are chocolate chips made by Enjoy Life Natural Brands. They are dairy, soy, and gluten-free. I've only found them at Health Foods Unlimited, here in Dayton, OH (don't know if it's a national chain). Their website is www.enjoylifefoods.com. I couldn't imagine life without chocolate chip cookies! I am also sensitive to sulfites, so that makes sense. I have your book and read the discussion boards often. Thanks for all you do!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So glad you have found us here, Amy...we're always happy to help.
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi MSGMYTHers,

Thanks to all of you I am figuring out so much. At one point I was resigned that I would be in pain for the rest of my life and now I know that I can have a life free of pain and dis-ease. I can now directly link my TMJ and bruxism, asthma, joint pain, migraines, tingling of hands and feet, depression, mood and anger issues and other symptoms to my ingestion of certain foods.

I search the boards often as I am still figuring out things. I have allergies to not only msg, but also other naturally occuring and added compounds (sulfites, L-cysteine, tyramine, etc.).

I have pinpointed bananas, onions, garlic, grapes, I react to Quaker oats, but I am not sure yet if I can eat other oats or not.

Given this information I do have a question. Last night I ate strawberries and also had brown rice (I had it in the refrigerator for 3 days and I usually freeze any leftovers, but I didn't this time) and zucchini. I had dinner at 6:30 and awoke at 2am with severe jaw pain and migraine. This is usually a reaction I get from citric acid type products (tomato sauce) and I also get this reaction from bananas. I'm guessing the strawberries, but wanted input on if it could be the rice or zucchini.

Thanks for any help.

Hugs to you all for all you do and how you help so many of us.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, in the winter months, fresh produce is often treated with all sorts of chemicals, including sulfites, chemical rich food waxes, and citric acid. The zukes could have been treated. When in doubt, peel in the winter more than usual. Strawberries, especially out of season, are one of the most treated items. We often hear from people who react to them. I suggest buying them from farm stands or farmers markets in season and freezing lots of them for winter months. I react to Quaker oats. It may be the preservative added to the box (BHT) or sulfur dioxide which is used to fumigate many such items grains in storage. L-cysteine is another neurotoxin, which works on the same brain receptors and in the same way as glutamate...both are excitatory amino acids, along with aspartic acid. You're not allergic to MSG. You are reacting to a toxic, brain altering drug. Bananas are now being dipped in citric acid washes and citric acid contains glutamate residues from the hydrolyzed corn used to make it. Garlic and onions are rich in sulfites, so they can be trouble for some who are sulfite reactive. Many grapes in vineyards are fumigated with sulfur compounds to prevent mold. Grapes themselves also produce sulfites, as nature wards off certain bacteria and molds that attack grapes, naturally. And then some producers spray them again with sulfur compounds before shipping to stores. We live in a chemical world now. Plant gardens!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara b,

You mention strawberries. Perhaps pesticide residue didn't play a part, but the following is good to know - or maybe you already do know:

The “Dirty Dozen”: Must-buy organic fruits

• Apples
• Cherries
• Grapes, imported (Chili)
• Nectarines
• Peaches
• Pears
• Raspberries
• Strawberries
• Bell peppers
• Celery
• Potatoes
• Spinach

The U.S. Department of Agriculture found that even after washing, some fruits and vegetables consistently carry much higher levels of pesticide residue than others. Based on an analysis of more than 100,000 U.S. government pesticide test results, researchers at the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., have developed the “dirty dozen” fruits and vegetables, above, that they say you should always buy organic, if possible, because their conventionally grown counterparts tend to be laden with pesticides. They cost about 50 percent more — but are well worth the money.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

As Deb says: Plant a garden. I am going to do exactly that. Just a month ago I couldn't even cook for myself and now I am cooking everything from scratch, figuring out what me and my kids can tolerate (food journal), making stuff from cookbook (if everyone could taste the country sausage from Deb's book, there would be no way to sell them the stuff currently in the stores!!) and planning a garden.

I was so sick it was hard for me to prepare the test diet. I've always been tough so I just slugged it out for the first couple of days and by the third day I felt extraordinary! Now I realize that those years of being sick had nothing to do with being lazy, I was just saddled with crushing fatigue that lifted on the third day. What a fantastic feeling!!

I'm still having trouble finding things I can tolerate but now I understand some of the things that kept me from figuring this out years ago. At least now I know that being healthy is an attainable goal. Even though Deb's book has great recipes, the best feature of the book is the food preparation guide. That's what helps a longtime cook like me change my unhealthy cooking habits and create recipes of my own and adapt recipes I already have.

For Sara b,
I have found that I can't seem to tolerate any leftovers (a horrible turn of events for me). I am not relishing the idea of making enough dried beans every single time that I want to eat them. I was trying to add them on salads for protein and variety but I can't seem to tolerate them once they have been either frozen or refrigerated.

I am going to make some cultured or lacto-fermented veggies today. I have been doing research and it seems that they might be helpful for people like me with multiple and severe sensitivities. I will keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

For anyone that might be interested: I subscribe to a magazine called Countryside. It's a homesteading magazine and covers a lot of issues that are of interest to us (back to nature, organic and backyard gardening, self-sufficiency, simplifying life, raising chickens for eggs, etc). I believe more and more people will be moving in this direction out of self defense - there is simply no other affordable way to obtain the quality of food that is needed for good health anymore. Let's face it: the only way to change the food system in this country is to make the current practices unprofitable for agribusiness while at the same time making it feasible for small local organic farms to thrive economically. I will have to grow my own (I counted seven organic veggies available at my local store) since the closest Whole Foods is two hours away. The dried beans are the only veggies in my whole store that are safe with the exception of some produce. I have to drive an hour for a butcher shop (none of the meat in the store is acceptable either). I can't wait to find out how the farmer's market is here but I suspect they will lean heavily toward hybrid and gmo crops.

Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out a way to get frozen veggies home from Whole Foods still frozen so that I can try them. Any suggestions?
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi -

One of my favorite cooking magazines is Cook's Illustrated/Cook's Country. Food snobbery at it's most basic level; I love it. And many of the recipes are worthy of restaurants with natural ingredients, for the most part.

As for frozen veggies:
Pack a cooler with ice. Hopefully it will fit in the rear seats of the car. I've never seen a grocery store that didn't sell ice. Dry ice is kind of rare and expensive in California, but when I was a kid in Colorado, it was bulk self-serve from a big deep freezer. Now it actually comes in plastic wrap.

Jennifer
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

I have a cooler with ice in the back of my SUV when I go, but I don't think a cooler with ice will keep frozen veggies completely frozen for two hours. I tried to find dry ice and was unsuccessful (I live in the boonies in Alabama). Anyway, I don't really even know if I could tolerate any of the frozen veggies - I was just hoping since I can't tolerate any of the brands in my local store.

BTW, does anybody know what they do to frozen veggies that is causing a reaction? The only ingredient listed is the veggie itself (I don't even bother to look at things with more than one ingredient).
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

It could depend on the veggie - tomatoes, corn, peas have a fair bit of free glutamate.

It could also be whatever's sprayed on the crops. I usually have to wash my fresh produce with soap, or peel it. If this is the case, organic versions should be OK.

I guess one way to make the cooler stay cold, would be to use ice from a freezer set at 0F or colder. Or maybe add salt to the ice like an old fashioned ice cream maker. You'd have to put the veggies in an airtight/watertight container, then submerge the container in the ice.

I think welding shops may have dry ice - might be worth checking in to.

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're traveling to a larger city, there's a greater chance that they have dry ice that you could buy and add to your cooler for the trip home. Bring along a towel to wrap the dry ice and vegetables in before adding to the cooler.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We used to get dry ice from a local ice cream store for frozen meat storage while traveling south for vacations. The meat would stay frozen for at least three days if the container was sealed shut. We used old styrofoam containers from when people would send us various frozen products like Omaha Steaks.
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, how did you do with the lacto- or fermented veggies? Thanks for the post.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Sara,

Thanks for asking.....I just could not tolerate them. I tried several times because I just hated to give up -they were so good and I crave that sour (used to love pickles) but I'm still hoping that in the future it will work for me. I am looking for a way to get raw milk(cow or goat) to make my own yogurt. I still can't seem to tolerate much variety and seem to be having low level reactions all the time (suspect lemons and potatoes) but am having trouble pinning down the culprits.

It is frustrating on one hand to live in rural Alabama - I can't go to the local store and find any decent food to buy - but on the other hand, I have 20 acres and no neighbors so I can do whatever I want. Now I am in the midst of learning everything I can about homesteading organically. My husband has built three bee hives and we are looking for bees and he also built a raised bed out of salvaged concrete blocks and is looking for compost now (I already have my organic heirloom seeds). As soon as I can get everything ready, I will buy chickens and goats, etc.

All I can say is that my life has turned completely around since I made the MSG connection and it is quite an adventure. My kids and I (my husband doesn't seem to feel many symptoms yet) are feeling much better and I couldn't even imagine being able to do any of this two months ago.

I better get going - I am driving two hours to Whole Foods today to stock up for the month. I can't wait to get raw organic honey (I badly underestimated how much I would need the first time - it is the only luxury food I can tolerate).
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy. I'm sorry that you have had to give up on some of your favorite foods for a while. I know how hard that is. I hope you find a source for raw milk. I am looking for the same. I know how hard it is to pinpoint culprits. I am starting another fast to begin reintroducing foods again. I'm thinking 7-10 days will be enough. I was starting to notice immediate reactions to everything. I think I have a gluten sensitivity as well. So, since I was having such a hard time identifying everything, I decided to fast and get really strict about how I introduce foods. Maybe my system needed some time off to eliminate a bunch of toxins before I could begin to get healthy.

YEAH! It sounds like soon you will have some wonderful products available right from your own home! We live in an area where there is no chance of a goat and chickens, or bees for that matter. I am so excited for you! What an adventure. You give me such hope.

My one youngest daughter seems to be having reactions to something. I really want get back to basics for my entire family for long-term health. My poor daughter has times where she has a headache, stomach ache and cries and cries because she doesn't feel good. I've noticed it getting worse over the past couple of weeks and really need to help her. At first I wanted to get myself feeling better first because I really didn't feel I had the energy to help anyone else, but it seems critical with missing school and such. How did you deal with eliminating favorite foods with the kids? I suppose if I have a healthier alternative available it will be easier.

I am so glad you and your kids are feeling better!! That is wonderful.

Hope you had good luck at Whole Foods and that you got your honey. I recently purchased my first ever jar of raw organic honey. I'm hoping to benefit from it.

Good luck.....Sara
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are there publix supermarkets in Alabama?????
mine here has been a lifesaver and they are supposed to be all over the south...i react to trace amounts on msg-all cheeses except those made with rennet anything except whole milk-certain brands-cannot do anything ultra pasturized (most organic milk) I can drink publix organic whole milk and regular publix whole milk (it has no growth hormones rbst?)
If you do I can give you a list of stuff I can eat maybe that will help a little.cannot eat anyones yogurt :-) lemons and potatoes make me sick-can eat most organic potatoes-have not had any trouble with sweet potatoes. Most of my veggies are frozen-(read label for salts)never Dole fresh has spray or something on it. Frozen blueberries (not dole) are great to snack on. I scrub everything with joy (dawn breaks me out) be careful of meats that are packed deep dish. Money wise some canned stuff works if you rinse and soak it-lots of beans (read labels)and I do ok with most delmonte Green Giant canned veggies I soak and rinse!!! If they have a county fair by you it is a grat place for goats chickens etc as well as contacts for veggies and seed
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sara,
I am recovered from the trip to Whole Foods - it is an all day job - I'm lucky that my kids help me so much (boy 16, girl 13) and we homeschool. We originally started homeschooling because of illness and difficulty learning on school schedule (we didn't know about MSG at the time but we now believe it was the main cause of our problems).

It was easy to get the kids interested in this way of eating because both wanted so badly to feel better. My daughter has increasingly suffered with joint pain, asthma, weight gain, insomnia for the last two years and we couldn't figure out the problem. My son had pretty bad acne, weight gain, insomnia, and irritability. My health was so bad that I was bedridden with a host of severe problems. When I made the connection there was no doubt that my daughter would do the test diet with me (our health problems were very similar) and she did with no complaints. We showed such vast improvements within three days that my son asked to try it as well. Now they have seen such a change that they say you couldn't pay them to go back to our old way of eating and they were both junk food junkies. They also keep food diaries with my help and recognize reactions when they start - they each have their own unique set of symptoms of course.

I'm glad you brought up fasting because I am concerned about me and my children with regard to fasting. It is easy to get addicted to fasting because when you don't eat is the only time you feel great...but that can't be a long term answer - I really urge you not to fast over 24 hours. Even if you only eat a few bites of plain brown rice, eat something. I see in my kids a tendency to fast as well and I keep after them to eat at least once a day. Just keep in mind that your kids will be watching you and you don't want them to start fasting for long periods.

You didn't say how old your youngest daughter is but I think kids are more willing to leave behind their old fave foods if it means feeling better. If she is old enought to reason with I would just tell her we are going to try to find out what makes her feel bad and then go to the test diet. If you treat it like an experiment that she is involved in, she might be more happy to try it. I doubt she would really throw a fit for her favorite foods if it is proven to her that she feels well only if she doesn't eat them. This is not the same thing as trying to get a kid not to eat cake because of some vague (from a healthy-feeling kid's point of view) health benefits of eating a balanced diet. My kids are old enough to be responsible - if they choose to eat something that will give them a reaction, they are the ones that will suffer thru it. It makes them very reluctant to eat anything on their individual avoid list so I don't have to cajole them to stay on the diet.

It may sound crazy, but I think it is easier for someone to embrace healthy eating when they already feel really sick from MSG. I have family members that aren't interested in even cutting out soft drinks even though they are exhibiting classic ailments and they have seen the vast improvement in our health in only two months. It worries me but I have to just keep my mouth shut and lead by example. Eventually they will ask for more info and I will be ready to provide it.

Hi Debby,

The closest Publix is in Birmingham which is where I go to Whole Foods. I haven't even ventured anywhere else in Birmingham yet because it is so exhausting a trip already ( two hour drive one way) but I am going to hit the big farmers market this spring...
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't been on in a while. I started reacting to everything I ate, or so it felt, and I was very frustrated. I went to an Ayurvedic Holistic Dr. who helped me understand that due to the toxic overload my body was under, that my liver and digestive system were not able to process food as it should. As I was adding food faster than my body could process it, my body becam intolerant and reactive to everything. For some reason, I was eracting to fruits, cinnamon, bananas, strawberries, lemons, etc. All these things create acid and are "warming" which increased the heat in my system and aggravated the headaches, asthma, bruxism, etc. that occur with Glutamate. So, due to the overabundance of these toxins in our food supply, other issues in my body became aggravated. I have to be so careful with my system right now, but will never, ever allow prcessed free glutamate into my diet. I'm not even sure I will be able to eat natural foods containing high levels of glutamate again. Hopefully I can educate my kids and help them avoid some of these major probelms by eating whole foods. I am still learning a lot and if I'm not communicating this right, please let me know. I have had more "good days" unless I start to feel too "good" and don't plan ahead to make sure I have the food I need..sometimes I slip and pay for days. The hard part is realizing that ibuprofen and benadryl with their fillers and binders just make things worse. The good thing is that the "cleaner" I get, the easier it is to realize when I make a mistake. I have to be more careful when re-introducing foods. I wouldn't be making any headway if I hadn't found this site. Thank you.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for sharing your story Sara. I am discovering similar - my digestion is so weak due to low stomach acid and also leaky gut that I too began to react to just about everything! I am even unable to take the supplements that are to help with low stomach acid and leaky gut, so I am doing alot of research on herbs and herbal tonics. I am trying several different things now to help my body heal but too soon to tell if any improvements yet. It's all a learning process but the good news is once you figure out your triggers and what you can tolerate to help your body heal, you can then make the right adjustments and get on a healing path. :-)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sara b, I have had those same problems and have had to narrow down my list of tolerated foods. (I also can't tolerate any of those things you listed). It seems that I can't eat some foods that I could at the very beginning. I have had some bad days but even my worst day now is so much better than I used to feel at my best.

I can't handle any fruit and I really miss it. I also seem to do better with food that cooks in a shorter time. Now I eat a lot of quinoa and lentils since they cook really fast as opposed to dried beans and brown rice. I also cook a big pot of both at once and then put individual servings into quart size bags in the freezer. I eat them together like red beans and rice. I always keep some ready in the freezer. Plain baked potato with EVOO is always good in a pinch.

I found that even cocoa powder gives me a problem but raw cacao powder doesn't and it tastes way better. I basically avoid anything that is cooked too long or is roasted, etc. I am also limited in veggie selection because of where I live (in the boonies) and meat is a problem no matter what (my kids do fine with the meat from the butcher but I can't seem to handle it). None of us did well with Whole Foods meat.

We used to buy Aquafina water for when we travel, but I think we react to it so we now have our own water bottles and fill them from our reverse osmosis water purifier (can't live without this item). I also use the simplest products for everything. Brush with peroxide and baking soda. Castille soap (unscented) for shower/shampoo and EVOO or coconut oil for moisturizer.

I try not to get discouraged when I have a bad day. It can be especially frustrating when I can't trace back what caused the problem for sure. I do a lot of reading and try to learn about new ingredients and ways of cooking and eating. I think one important thing to do is not try to duplicate foods that we used to eat with healthy versions. I try to make up new favorites and not compare them (bread is one of these things).

Just keep your chin up - it is slow going. If I could figure out a way to heal myself faster I would try it. I don't want to be able to eat all the old foods with MSg but I do hate not being able to tolerate fruit and some veggie favorites (tomatoes!!!!!). I also hate not being to eat anything that I didn't prepare. I just have to keep telling myself that I've only been doing this for three months.
sarab
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know what I find interesting, My daughter had a final DTaP just before she started getting worse. Any possible connection? She has days where she can whip off her Homework in 5 minutes and then days where she just stares at it and can't process and is just "out there". Hmmmmm
Elaine B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sarab, you just told my story. I have kicked & screamed because I can't eat anything but my own cooking. I miss eating my mother's wonderful home cooked meals, eating out with family. I just can't believe I am in this condition. If I mess up & eat something I am sensitive too then it takes up to 2 weeks of flu-like symptoms to get back to normal. I can't take supplements, but have been able to begin a whole body cleanse by RENEW. I empty the gell capsules in water & do not take the risk otherwise. I am hopeful that by de-toxing my body that in time I will not be so sensitive. Has anybody else been down this road & has de-toxing with body cleases helped in the long run?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Melinda, Your post wasn't there this morning when I posted and now I see it wedged right between. Weird? I wanted to ask you about herbs and leaky gut. Have you found any relief? I think I have leaky gut but I am so messed up that I can't tell what is what. Sometimes when I eat it feels like the food goes straight to my joints and makes them ache. I do know that I can't tolerate much of anything including some vegetables and grains and especially most meats and eating is a struggle.....Will this get better or should I be doing something besides avoidance?

Also, Sarab, is DTaP a vaccination? There is definitely a link between vaccines and learning disabilities and even autism. I think it just jumpstarts the whole MSG toxicity up to a higher level unnaturally fast. I know that my daughter, 13, has always struggled to read and has noticeable memory and concentration problems. Both of my children have dyslexia as well. BUT, since we changed our eating habits we have seen noticeable improvements in her reading and writing. Her concentration and memory have improved as well. She says that she used to have a buzzing feeling in her head that is gone now. She couldn't describe it very well, but she said it didn't hurt but was irritating.

She is so excited and now has even starting learning to type her own stories (I always took dictation before) and she needs help less and less. My son is 16 and he says that it is much easier to read and comprehend now, too. Does any of this sound like the epidemic of ADHD and ADD out there right now?

The two bright spots in this whole tale are: We homeschool so my children weren't drugged by mandate AND their problems don't seem to be permanent and have already begun reversing themselves with only three months of "being clean".

As for your daughter, start making notes of everything she eats so you can spot the pattern on those days she is just "out there". And if your kids eat school lunches, their problems will be worse on high additive days(like chicken nuggets).
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, right now I am just taking some bitter herbs to help with the low stomach acid: The Herbalist's Tum-Ease. Not sure I am taking enough but just started a few weeks ago. You should do the bitters optimally 15 minutes prior to eating, so I'll put 10 drops or so on tongue, sometimes just straight and sometimes with a little water, while preparing my meal and then put the rest (10-20 drops in hot water) to make a tea that I drink with and after the meal. There are other tinctures out there by different companies that have bitter herbs in them. I posted a list of bitter herbs on the "Betaine HCL & MSG" thread.

I haven't fully researched herbals for leaky gut as of yet but did find this site - scroll down towards bottom of page to see the herbal remedies info.
http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/leaky_gut_syndrome.htm

There is alot of Leaky Gut info on the web which you can research. One of the most common remedies is to take L-Glutamine and all of us msg'ers know we can't do that! ;) But there are other things to do. From my understanding, it can be healed but there is no fast fix....over time by combining several protocols; supplements (if you can find ones you can tolerate), herbs, detox, exercise, water, and good balanced nutrition, you can heal Leaky Gut. :-)

I'll post updates with what works best for me when I start to notice improvements.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting about the DTaP....In May 2004, I requested a tetanus shot because I was bitten by a wild mouse (OK I didn't know any better). July 2004 was when I had to quit working because I was just too ill. I had been slipping downhill for quite a while before that. But two months later? Can't prove anything but it's quite a coincidence. I didn't make THAT connection until late last year, when I was at the Dr.'s office and I read my record that was left up on the computer screen. I also noted he put in there that I was sensitive to sulfites and glutamate. :-)

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, Just curious, did the doc note your sensitivity back in July '04? And how did he know that, did you tell him?
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I told him I discovered some food intolerances. I figured out the sulfites in late 2005....and the MSG in March 2007. He never argued or accused me of it being all in my head, but he didn't really say much about it at all. That's why I was a little surprised to see he made a notation of it.

In 2004 neither one of us knew what the problem was. I had some sort of chronic pain/fatigue thing going on, and also scoliosis with a 40 degree (Cobb method) curve. The X-ray showed the *obvious* cause of my back pain.

Nevermind that now don't have much in the way of back pain...as long as I exercise and I do have to be somewhat careful with it. But it doesn't slow me down a bit.

Jennifer
sarab
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone else having trouble with the board being really slow and "sticky" lately?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone here had problems with eating cooked lentils? I have tried them a couple times and have had a mild headache the next day. I know they contain natural glutamate, but wondered how much. What about quinoa?
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had some Northern white beans a few months ago. I had soaked them, and didn't get around to cooking them. So I drained and put them in the fridge for two days before cooking...and had a MASSIVE reaction.

I know those aren't lentils, but perhaps that family has a large potential for glutamate.

Jennifer
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb,

I was previously sold on lentils and quinoa but now am not so sure. In fact, since I started eating quinoa and lentils every day, I started having more and more problems. I thought since they cooked so quickly I would have more luck with them, but now am not so sure. And to complicate matters more, I never ate them separately so I can't even say which one is the problem or if it is just both together.

I have gone back to the test diet and vow to add things more slowly this time. I am so frustrated, though. I seem to react in a small way to everything so I can't tell if I have a larger problem along with MSG toxicity or if I am just super sensitive to any glutamates or if there is really something wrong with the foods I react to. Right now I have the extreme and inappropriate hunger I associate with an MSG reaction and it drives me crazy. Tight neck and ankle pain will soon follow....and on and on....Hopefully someone else can share their experiences with lentils or quinoa.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy,

I may have mentioned this already to you in another thread, but I think I had a reaction to organic Quinoa. I only cooked it for a short time period but had my usual reactions the next day. At that time I was eating some other things that are no longer a part of my diet, so I wasn't sure if it was that or something else. I may try it again if I get brave to see if same thing happens or not though. I stay away from beans and lentils - my digestion can not handle them - so I've no idea if I'd have an msg reaction to those. It sounds like you are doing the right thing with the elimination/test diet and so hopefully you will get it all sorted out. :-)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Melinda, My problem started because I was looking for alternative grains because I had trouble with rice. I guess I need to keep in mind natural glutamate levels and/or protein levels when looking for alternatives. I think I will try some of the supplements. I have them but have trouble making myself take them. I think I just need to take them every day since I have reactions to every fruit and vegetable I have tried and also brown rice and meat. I am only eating brown rice and veggies now (since it gives me less of a reaction than meat) but can only seem to get a certain level of relief. I know I should try taking the CoQ10, taurine and magnesium but I can't tolerate apple sauce so that means taking it with just olive oil - yuk....
I try to eat my veggies raw or cooked as little as possible but I may need to try juicing. I hate to think of the work involved for all meals to be juiced, but I have to get some relief. Some of my problem may be that I can't get but about 7 organic veggies at my store and I can't tell if there is a difference in tolerating the organic vs. the chemical fertilizer veggies. I have to eat some regular produce just to get a variety.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Jarrow's brand taurine 1000mg. in gel-caps. I open the caps and eat the powder plain. I don't think it's unpleasant at all but I can enjoy anchovies straight from the jar if that says anything about my taste.

I've tried QoQ10, didn't make a huge difference but it was only 200mg, so I stopped taking it. it's too expensive, and I've only found it with a soy oil base.

Have you tried lamb? I do OK with it, but it comes from a rancher I know and they're grass-fed. It's a little bit of an acquired taste. In my experience the best meat is always frozen in plain white butcher paper and stamped with "not for sale".

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, I gave up on the juicing..mostly because as you said, it takes time and it's not fun cleaning the parts! But I bought a Kitchen Aid stainless steel and glass blender that liquifies. In the morning, I often fill it will greens like spinach or kale or romaine and a bunch of fruits, both fresh and frozen that I have. I like to add fresh ginger, ground cinnamon and sometimes vanilla and a pinch of salt. For sweeteners, it can be agave, organic cane sugar, honey, stevia. Each smoothie is different, since I get creative. You can make a V8 type veggie drink. I like adding a fresh peeled apple to that. Taking CoQ 10 with a tiny amount of oil is the best way to take it. Coating it helps prevent it from being destroyed by stomach acid. You don't need a lot of oil as I first thought. Just enough to make a soft paste. I don't take it every day. In fact, sometimes I take a break from all supplements.
sarab
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing I might consider. As I have been reading about sensitivities, etc. It seems that the more weakend state the body is in, the more foods might need to be "rotated" in the diet. If I have a specific food two days in a row, I react. I think there might be a lot to be said about rotation. If I have Rice one day, a little wheat another, no grains one day, Quinoa one day, etc. and rotate things, my body seems to have an easier time. I have to rotate meats, and other items as well. There are still certain things I can't eat at all andright now, my major focus or my main meals are vegetables. Don't know...just for what it's worth. I am going to try (also wondering if anyone has had any luck with) enzymes and/or probiotics. Someting funny and interesting. My sister got me bare minerals makeup for Christmas last year. I keep trying them every 3 to 6 months, but I wlways break out. Come to find out, ithe product is 90% corn starch. No wonder. Why am I so silly and keep making the same mistakes over and over. The other day I had corn chips and now I have 4 blisters on my face (acne?). My Ayrvedic Dr. ended up prescribing hebs compounds that I'm allergic to. I didn't understand all the chinese information and it turns out, there are mushrooms in it. Also, the aloe gel I got had carrageenan in it. DARN! Why do I keep making the same mistakes.....so frustrating sometimes. And to find healthy foods that are pre-made that are acceptable is impossible. Grrrrrrr. thanks everyone for all the help you have provided...I can't afford a lot of the kitchen tools at the moment...borrowed my friend Mary's food processor, but I'm feeling like I will never learn.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sarab, we know your frustration. But trust me, it will get easier. It takes a while for the excess glutamate in your system to diminish. It takes a few months for some and much longer for others. Plus, MSG is a drug and by avoiding it, many of us go through a withdrawal period. I would avoid enzymes, but probiotics are good...just watch out for fillers that are bad. Look for kefir or whole milk yogurt that doesn't have too many bad ingredients in them. They are a good source of probiotics, too. You can make your own yogurt...recipe in book...don't need equipment.I made major mistakes the first year and got better at avoidance and cooking over time. Be patient with yourself. It's okay to be angry, even sad about this situation. But look ahead and not back at your mistakes. Keep a food journal...helps you remember the bad choices. Hang in there! You're not alone in this.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarab, I do best when I rotate foods as well. For awhile I was hyper reactive to everything, and had to be very careful with rotating foods.

Now, I do much better. I can eat wheat, canned tomatoes and cheese occasionally but not at every meal. It does get better with time.

Don't worry about gadgets in the kitchen. Some will save you time down the road but none are necessary. I learned to make bread with a $1.00 plastic bowl and a wooden spoon. Focus on simple meals that are quick to prepare. Steamed or roasted vegetables are a main course meal at our home- fast and easy.

Hang in there!
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy I was going to suggest a Kitchen Aid and do "raw veggie soups" but Deb beat me to it :-) I've been doing a really simple one past few days and it's delicious: zuccini, spinach, avocado, fresh ginger, salt (I use either sea salt or Himalayan pink salt), a little olive oil and or coconut oil (refined or unrefined...unrefined will smell like coconuts which I like), add a little water and blend away - you can add more water to get the consistency you desire. I'll have organic rice cakes with ghee with that and it's a nice little meal. Not too filling, but very healthy! I use all organic produce, but do what you can with that.

Sara, you mentioned aloe having carragenan in it. I could not ever find an aloe brand that didn't have something else in it (alot have citric acid too) that I couldn't take. But I found one that is PURE ALOE and it looks and tastes just like water. I have taken it before but just started taking it again a few days ago with no problems. Here is the link: http://www.warrenlabsaloe.com/
SaraB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Melinda, I did get that aloe and it's so great. I keep wondering if it has the power of regular aloe because it really tastes just like water. Thanks so much! My kids can take it easily, too.
SaraB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 6:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I "fell off the wagon" and now can't seem to control my diet or myself. I've been back in the cycle of eating poisonous foods and taking ibuprofen and benadryl and cycling this way, feeling crappy, but unable to stop the cycle. I can't get up in the morning, my kids have to drag me out of bed. I have to take ibuprofen because I can't function..then i'm feeling pretty good because the ib is working...then I'm starving so I eat something not good for me....then it just continues. I have felt so horrible that I thought coffee might help and got addicted again. I truly feel like an addict trying to get life under control and I keep the cycle going. I am so limited in my food choices and I get bored and frustrated. Then I take one little bite of something, thinking it will be o.k. and get addicted to all the junk and poisons again. Ugh...I have to start all over and be really strong, but it's hard to stick with the diet the first couple of days. I don't think my family really understands. They just expect me to be my normal self and they would rather have me take the ibuprofen and feel better than to try to stop the cycle....Do I sound like a whiner? Just frustrated...
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if you have an understanding doctor, but if you do, perhaps he can be the "bad guy" and mandate to your family you need to stick with the diet or else your health is in serious jeopardy.

I was at the point where I probably wouldn't have been around a whole lot longer, at least in the sense of not being a drugged up zombie at best. Living like that wasn't an option.

Your cycle sounds like what my mother went through, for all the time she was alive. At least you have the knowledge to break the cycle permanently, if you want. I know it's tough.

When you're starving and eat something bad - is that because you don't have anything safe around to eat?

For boring food - fix it up a little. Instead of rice with butter and eggs, add Tobasco, chives, etc. to the eggs, fry the rice with herbs before boiling. Want something sweet? There's a lot of rice deserts out there, but just adding honey, milk and cinnamon is nice. Yes you may react a little, but it's 1000% better than eating something you know is bad. Even though it may not seem like it to the addicted part of your brain. Have faith -

Jennifer
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, I am so glad you got that aloe and are liking it :-) I know it tastes and looks just like water so it's hard to believe it has anything to it, but they explain how it's made and such pretty well on their website.

As far as falling off the wagon...been there done that, so I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through. (((hugs))) For me it took hitting rock bottom to stay disciplined unfortunately. But also I found out why my digestion is so compromised, thus reacting to everything....I received a Lymes diagnosis and I've had it for a really long time. It's doing a number on my system as a whole. Not saying that could be your problem, but for me it gives me a good explanation and also hope that I can heal. It'll be interesting once I do heal (though it will take a while) if I can start to tolerate msg better (never will I ever knowingly ingest it though).
sarab
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 6:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your response...was your mom's thing related to MSG? Unfortunately, it takes time for me to find rice desserts I can eat, as many of them are loaded with things I react to. You are very sweet in coming up with ideas and that's what I need to do, is figure out what I CAN have. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Just having a little pitty party lately! Thanks for your help!

Hi Melinda, How did you think to check for lyme disease. wow. I hear that's a long road back. I had a friend who had that.

I'm doing better today. I just went shopping and purchased chicken, lots of veggies, and plan on doing some baking today. I also found a kashi cereal I can eat and might like. If it's going to be, it's up to me and I can't sit here and whine. I know I will feel better once I take a few days and stay on track.

I'm so glad you found out about the lyme disease so you can know what other things you can do to help heal your poor body.

Thanks for the response...smiles, hugs and prayers to you!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SaraB,

I'm glad to hear you bought lots of "safe" food today.

It is really, really hard in the beginning. Especially when you make a mistake and taste that junk food again (which is addictive). Once you make a committment to a "life style" change for the rest of your life, it will seem easier. It is not just a diet, but a way of living life healthier. Jennifer has good suggestions or when you get hungry and are bored with your choices, eat safe food AND try to find something else in your life to make you feel good. There is a whole world out there that is just waiting to be explored. Take up a new hobby, or do something you love to do, post on this board, take a walk, make a list of things you want to do, meditate, pray, etc.

We all have our moments and make mistakes, but what's important is that you really are serious. I can tell that from all your posts. And above all else, hang in there - it does get easier.

Lots of hugs to you!
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sara, I think more and more people are looking into Lymes as the cause of their health issues than ever before now because there is more info out there on it now and it is becoming better understood....still alot of unknowns though, especially regarding treatment - that and apparently it is becoming epidemic globally (ticks w/ lymes) which they say could be due to global warming (a theory anyways).

My sister who also has it was told to check for it by a natural health practitioner she saw to help with her muscle pain. Both of us have fibromyalgia and never had any doctor (natural or western medicine) ever mention that being a possibility. Thankfully this gal told her to look into it else both of us would probably never had gotten tested.

I wanted to let you know about another ALOE product that my sister was told about by our holistic dentist. His son had severe psoriasis and nothing worked for it until he took this Aloe. It helps with alot of things - digestion, immune strength, skin problems, etc., but this particular type of Aloe is a special type from Brazil and has other properties to it that most commercial Aloes do not possess. We just got some in the mail today and I will start to try it out. Here is the website if you are interested in taking a look at it.

http://www.aloedeca.com/ABOUTUSNA.htm
Miss Kitty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarab, I read your "I fell off the wagon" post. I have too. I am in your shoes except no kids. I finally got a part-time, temporary job working sporatic hours 45 minute drive from my house. So many fast food places along the way. And I am back on caffeine. I got tired and hungry. I have ADD symptoms and one of them is forgetting consequences. I feel crazy and stupid!

I do great for awhile. I do keep one or two positive habits from each try for perfection. So I am making progress. I feel like doggy doo now though.

I am using NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programing) to help some of my ADD symptoms, depression and to make MSG foods less appealing & want whole foods. It is helping. I'll let you know.
Anonymous

Posted From: 220.244.123.163
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 5:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've been getting terrible headaches for a year or so now. Tonight after eating out at a Vietnamese restaurant I felt an extremely strong pressure coming up from my neck into the top of my head. I felt as if my head was going to explode from the pressure. It then went into my eyes as well. I couldn't move and the surging pressure was painful and quite scary (I though I might have a brain aneurysm or something)... It lasted about 15 minutes. Does this sound like an MSG reaction?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 6:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does to me.
Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 5:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,
It sounds like the migraines I used to get before I changed what I eat to eliminate MSG any FGA-containing foods.
I didn't know the cause of my migraines and didn't figure it out for years. The migraines took over my life and I felt I was just existing in pain that was overwhelming.
It won't hurt you to try the elimination diet for a week or two as suggested on this website and you may have excellant results soon.
I am very familiar with Vietnamese cooking which uses a lot of MSG.
Anonymous

Posted From: 220.244.123.163
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great thanks for your advice. I will try the elimination diet and see how I go. Fingers crossed!
anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 1:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings message board of hope! I have had an interesting set of symptoms that are really new. I still eat fast food, but I have been limiting it a lot lately. However, after eating (usually right after) no matter if is home-made or not I get a shortness of breath. It feels like a minute in between heart beats. I start to feel fear as well like if I pass out I may not wake up. Then my stomach cramps really bad. It lasts for about 30 minutes then goes away. The feeling is like when you are at the top of a roller coaster before the first big drop...it is so weird. Any thoughts?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 2:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

Please see the attached link to a doctor's response and also read the comments following it:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Shortness-of-breath-after-eating/show/284973
Anonymous

Posted From: 50.71.175.246
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 4:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently developed a new symptom: I am unable to talk coherently. Other symtpom include, flashes/dots of color, loss of feeling that travels around my body, vomiting and intense headache.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 1:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, those sound like migraine symptoms to me.

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/index_en.html
Kim
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2012 - 8:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I've known that MSG and I were not friends since I was about four or five. Every time my mom would take me to any buffet setting, from Chinese to a simple salad bar, I would leave with a tummy ache and go to bed with a headache. When I was about 10 years old, my mother started getting more severe reactions and (luckily) was correctly diagnosed as being allergic. When I was a child, I knew that I too had a slight intolerance, but would muddle through with simply not buying things that spelled the precise words "Monosodium Glutamate" or "MSG". I'm in my early 30s now, and within the past two years I have experienced the worse stomach pains of my life. Forgive my candid nature, but I've developed hemhroids (sp), terrible insomnia, my bi-polar has gotten worse, I have heart palpitations from time to time, severe anxiety, random vomiting, and many other symptoms as mentioned on the site. Since everything is so conflicting, I was begining to think that I was a hypocondriac (sorry, my spelling isn't very good, I've been up all night in and out of the bathroom and am just so exhausted, but my head and stomach won't turn off). Anyway, I've been scouring the web for what my issue could possibly be for a little over 6 months now. I realize it was my supreme confusion that didn't allow me to come across what should have been apparent from the start. Last night I had a slight epiphany after eating this yellow rice that my husband likes to make. We had been having it with meals as a filler because it's inexpensive and filling. Normally I will take 3 bites and be magically full....that's another thing, I eat very little and am so large, I weigh 190 pounds and am only 5'4" tall. Everyone always wonders why, as did I until it all clicked. I really just wanted to share. I've told my husband about this and am planning on telling my mom. She recently had to have her gallbladder out, and I'm pretty sure these hidden toxins helped move that forward. I was so worried that I had a plethora of diseases ranging from endometriosis to heart disease. This is sort of jumbled, so forgive me, I forgot to mention that in the last week I have had severe and I'm talking SEVERE cramps around my ribcage. I've also been vomiting a lot, experiencing numbness and tingling in my arms and fingers, and have been very short of breath accompanied by dizziness. It makes sense because we have been eating this rice with our meals for the past month or so. So to you I would like to extend my deepest gratitude. You have helped me to not feel like such a looney tune. Starting today we are going to eliminate all of the processed foods, drinks, and if it didn't come out of the garden or has additives, it's out of here. I have a feeling that this specific search is the one that I've been looking for the entire time. In fact, I'm certain of it.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kim,

Your posting is unreal, but a perfect example of what we will go through physically in the name of cheap easy food. The most simple thing to remember is that anything that is good for you will take time and effort to buy and prepare. Purchase the right foods, read the lables, cook properly and eat in small quantities. Your body is a temple - treat it with respect and it will reward you with a long and healthy life.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 10:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi kim... do you have access to any organic-friendly stores in your region? depending where you live, some good options are Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Natures, New Seasons, Mother's Markets... there are others. most are spendy unfortunately, altho Trader Joe's makes every effort to keep prices reasonable (bless them). of course you still need to be hypervigilent with anything packaged even at these stores, but at least bulk & single ingredient items tend to be pretty safe from unlabeled processing residues

also, some brands my family has found usually trustworthy include items by Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills- tho we are not as specifically msg-sensitive as many here (our reactions tend more from a number of other chems added to the same foods typically loaded with msg)- but AVOID like the plague ANYTHING by mega "health" brands such as Hain becoz they are filled with baddies hidden by cleverly greenwashed 'clean labelling' practices

its all trial & error of course, and i would recommend spending lots of time gleaning info from Deb's board here, its been up & running for ages now so there's tons of useful stuff posted to help readers figure out our health mysteries.

most of all, and this will get easier over time as your body detoxes and begins to heal: LISTEN to your own body and learn to TRUST your own reactions- your body knows better than anyone when poison has gone into it.

blessings to you and welcome to this community. please feel free to ask as many questions as come to mind, and share what you learn along the way... we are all helping one another along :-)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 10:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh also i forgot to add that if you live anywhere reasonably near a rural area, its really worth it to locate your local organic farmers for everything from clean fruits/vegies to eggs, poultry or meats, sometimes even special items like raw honey or hand made soaps etc. farmers markets are awesome for all this too- but going directly to the farms is really the most cost effective way to go.
We like to make a Day Trip of it, at least a couple times a month all thru the growing season! its the only way my family can afford safe versions of such luxuries as fresh grapes, berries or cherries, unprocessed raw honey, goose eggs or raw dairy items.
some folks here have been able to invest in upright freezers fro their garage or basement, so that they can affordably purchase a side of clean, grass-fed beef or buffalo at a time. Cheeper and cleaner to do that than to buy any of that horrible toxin-laden stuff that passes for meat in any of the supermarkets.... (beware all conventional meats- check the many posts on the subject here on this board for more info)
hope that offers more... food for thought!
Kim
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 3:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both for your replies.

1. Tom, trust me, it's all too real. I thought that what I have been experiencing was surreal as well though. I went through each symptom individually. I've looked into everything, but nothing has covered all the bases like this site did. Doctors keep saying that I'm fine, they always have some reason other than this for my symptoms. A pill here, an exercise there, yet nothing to help the underlying situation. I appreciate your advice and am slightly ashamed that I have not done the best to make the right decisions leading up to now. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I definitely plan on doing things differently from now on. I agree fully with everything you said.

Bo'nana, first of all... Wow! Very good advice. We live in a rural part of East Texas, and last night after reading through the forums here, we looked up some amazing farms in the area that work to keep dangerous toxins out of their foods. We also found a nice farmer's market in the area that we plan to visit. Besides that, I have been looking into expanding my own garden with the help of a local nursery. Since our only local grocery is Wally-World, I think that the discovery of these places that are surprisingly close is a God-send. We aren't exactly the richest people, so the cheap packaged foods have been incorporated into our diets much more lately, on several occasions we may have starved had it not been for these things. Even now, after going through our cabinets, we see how easy it is to get sick. From medication to things that are marketed as healthy but the labels clearly say otherwise. I sincerely agree that by developing relationships with our local agriculture we will be much better off. Thank you for all of your advice, I really appreciate the warm welcome.

As I just discovered this site yesterday, I don't really have any personal progress to claim. We live very tightly in the beginning of the month, so trying to work with what we have will be the first challenge. I've already banished the evil rice. My husband's been getting irritated because I haven't eaten much and keep declining the things he's been preparing, in my own defense, it's because I don't want to stay in the bathroom all night anymore. He understands what I'm doing, just doesn't understand why I picked the toughest week to choose to do this. I have to keep explaining that I'm not going to get better until our diet does. I've stopped taking any medicine that has the inactive ingredients of doom, and have noticed headaches and cramping is a tad less severe, I'm hoping its what I'm doing that is a sign of recovery and not a placebo effect. At this point, I will take what I can get, any slight improvement is something worth celebrating. I'm looking forward to next week when we can really start a thorough overhaul.

Thanks again to the two of you. I plan on utilizing this site frequently.

Oh, and on a side note::: I discussed this with my mom and she checked it out and got a book. Her doctors have told her to avoid many of the same things because of her gallbladder...so maybe the docs are catching on? Either way, she agreed that a detox was in order and is going to help advise me once I can start it. I truly think a detox is the first good thing that I can do.

Take care. I will update once the ball starts rolling at full force. And again, Thanks so much.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 6:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kim,

When I finally came to the realization that MSG and its hidden forms were the cause of my symptoms, I went through every cabinet in the kitchen, every shelf in the pantry and through all the foods in our various refrigerators & freezers. I ended up with about 4 very large black plastic lawn bags of food that were "contaminated" with these very dangerous excitotoxins. Initially my wife refused to allow me to throw all this food out and wanted me to at least donate it to a charity organization. I refused that option and insisted that I did not want anyone else to suffer as I had from these poisons. Eventually she agreed and has become just as vigilant avoiding these dangerous substances as I am.

I hope your husband will eventually understand and share your desire to correct your family’s eating habits.

Tom
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 12:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kim, welcome "aboard" :-) I know all too well what it is like to suffer from such a myriad of supposedly unconnected ailments that you fear you are either going mad, a hypochondriac or suffering from many horrible diseases. I came to cut out msg and subsequently most processed foods for the health and well being of one of my children that suffered so badly. The resulting improvement in my own health was astounding. Illness after illness fell away...skin rashes, IBS, stomach cramps, aching limbs, sore neck and shoulder joints, never ending sore throats and restless leg syndrome. I had taken to not even bothering my doctor with the "lesser" symtoms and just got on with aching the whole time. So much so that until i stopped aching it had become my normal and i was quite surprised to not ache and feel good. I remember at just 36years of age feeling like i had the bones and joints of an old lady and wishing i could push my childs pram without my joints aching.

Stick with it Kim and i know you will slowly but surely find strength and well being. The initial difficulty in finding time to shop this way and prepare food "long hand" will eventually become a way of life that you will have the energy to do.And the lifting of brain fog will make it all seem so much more attainable. Its hard to see straight when our bodies are so compromised by this "poison".
I wish you every success in regaining your health and wellbeing. Take care and keep us all posted on your progress :-)
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 5:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome, Kim! You have found the right place. This is an amazing site.

My thought for you is to not try to change your husband quite yet -- he will get there. You don't need the added stress...just do what is right for you and let him make his choices.

My husband started out very skeptical for our son, but is 100% on board now, supporting us. (I've developed sensitivity as well). But he still eats out for lunch, and has his diet cokes at work.

One comment about the bulk bin -- it has not been my experience that the bulk bins are safe, at least not when it comes to multi-ingredient foods.

I'm on the fence with the whole "throw it all out" thing. I do believe these are poisonous, but if the world is filled with poison, sometimes we have to be pragmatic. For people like your husband that are not sensitive, incremental changes are going to be the most sustainable anyway. So if he wants to keep eating foods that aren't great but aren't awful, well, he's an adult...that said, I wouldn't suggest you cook them for him!

Given the severity of your reactions, you should get a copy of Deb's book and probably start with her very basic food diet, and then slowly add things in after you feel better. I think you will be very frustrated trying to figure out what to remove, as it's everywhere. It's really hard :-( But when you feel better you realize how worth it it all is. Hang in there, and ask lots of questions here!!
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 8:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS,

If there's one thing I've come to realize it is that everyone that I've come in contact with has been affected by these food borne excitotoxins. They may not realize it at first and they may scoff at those of us that have learned to avoid these toxins, but eventually the continued ingestion of these toxins will have a similar effect on them. I have neighbors and friends who have known about my MSG sensitivity and rolled their eyes every time they complain about a new ailment and I mention that MSG could be the cause. But eventually they begin to realize that over time the MSG symptoms aggregate and all the ailments that they try to attribute to different causes start to come back to the same food borne toxin as a source.

I knew I had a sensitivity to Chinese food when I was a teenager. But it wasn't until I turned 48 when I started passing out from extreme Atrial Fibrillation that I began to realize the same MSG was in much of the processed food I was ingesting. I also believe that over time the sensitivity becomes worse. Years ago I had to ingest MSG to get a reaction. When I was at my most sensitive, all I had to do was be near food that contained it and the reaction would start.

Have patience with your family if they don't feel they are affected, but please don't assume that they will not be. Monitor their food intake as closely as you do yours. Their health is in your hands.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 8:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Id like to add to what Tom is saying. Myself and my husband considered, initially, that the problem was our childrens intolerance of msg, blue food colouring,aspartame etc etc rather than the the actual msg in the food being the problem. It was only because i had to stop eating processed food as i was breastfeeding my daughter that i came to realise that most of my ailments were down to msg and the other myriad of poisons in our processed western "food". My IBS cleared, my stiff neck and endless sore throats ceased....restless legs...all a thing of the past. It was amazing to see these illnesses fall away as i cleaned up my diet.
My husband did not consider himself sensitive and for a while i had two kitchens going on. That was exhausting and i was forever dealing with an accidental "poisoning" of my youngest daughter who suffers badly when fed processed foods. I eventually cleared out the cupboards and my husband came on board (reluctantly!). He went from tired and quite sedentary to action man! His new found energy levels were a revelation. His mood improved so much he now considers he was depressed for years and didnt even realise. He feels younger at 50 than he did at 30!
The interesting thing is that when he went out and nipped into KFC or another fast food chain to have a "treat" he found he could no longer tolerate it. He got severe headaches the day after accompanied with neck and shoulder pain, sees a drop in his mood and feels just generally unwell. He is now a great advocate for a whole food diet.
Ive seen this pattern repeated with other family members and friends that have incorporated a processed food free diet. None can go back to eating processed foods without suffering symptoms and ailments.
I know we cant control everything our family eat...well not without holding them prisoners! But i agree with Tom, and at least in the home it is a good idea to monitor what is in the cupboards. If nothing else at least a large proportion of their diets will be msg free.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 11:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also if i could chip in again with a further thought or two,
i agree wholeheartedly with everything everyone has posted, it is all true. it is also true that while some folk experience the joy of a phenomenal recovery, for others it is a slow process of good days and bad days, ongoing... i happen to be one of those. But even so, the opportunity to even HAVE Good Days again, interspersed with bad or no, makes the fight worth continuing!
some of us will have to fight harder than others, depending on a variety of personal circumstances: underlying personal health & immunity issues, surrounding environmental concerns, and sheer financial limitations or clean foods availablity

our paths all look different & from time to time i am sure we must ALL struggle with overwhelm- but also we here share in doing all that we can with whatever we have available to us :-)

as my Spectrum son's biofeedback therapist always used to say, every thing you are able to do- is that much more than doing nothing.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 1:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is so true that we are all very different in our range of illnesses, levels of tolerance and recovery rates. Even within my family we cover a wide range of reactions and recovery times.
I like what the therapist says. "everything you are able to do - is that much more than doing nothing" I will keep that in mind. WHat a wonderful way of adding perspective as we battle on with this thing. Availability of organic food is a problem here in Ireland. Financial constraint is another big one. We all do our best.
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kim, I read your first email and I can only encourage you to jump into health. My family and I have made the change several months ago and we have experienced tremendous benefits. It is not easy however. We go in grocery stores and all this appealing food is there and it would be sooo easy to buy it and have quick meal solutions, because time is often scarse. However, I always remember how this food makes us sick. I then pounder the benefits/inconvenients of leaving that food on the shelves/freezer or buying it and realize that I do not want to get sick anymore and the choice becomes easy: I leave that **** food where it is and opt for health. The totally certain prospect of being sick after eating that msg-containing food is for me a pretty strong deterrent to buying that food. This means that I have to prepare almost everything at home. Because of time constraints, I sometimes sacrifice a bit on the taste (some foods require long preparation time and some processed food are so much tastier than some home prepared foods, right?) but it is all sooo worth it. With Gods help, it's now being quite some time I have not ended up at the hospital, where I used to land sporadically before I made the necessary changes to what I eat. We are not immune to illnesses, but at least what we can do to avoid them, we do!
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant to add that there are plenty of very tasty recipes that are easy to try and it's only because I have a very stressful and busy occupation and for the time buying am a single mom of two (with the father working outside the country) that I do not always have time to cook as I would like. But changes will come on that too and I will find solutions to really try and cook those succulent recipes.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jayne, one thing i find that helps with the time thing is to cook double and freeze. Its as quick to make a large pan of say bolognese as a small pan for one meal. I then freeze half for the following week. Mashed potato freezes well. I make five kilos of potatoes into mash and freeze in portions. That is a Godsend on a busy day. I have half the meal done and ready!! It can be exhausting finding the time and energy to cook from scratch everyday with small children to care for and a job too. Just remember to give yourself a pat on the back now and then and think how fortunate your kids are to have a mom that cares what they eat.You are doing a great job :-)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi jaye, what ali said-- i second that!
how well i know that sense of overwhelm at the prospect of doing EVRYTHG totally from scratch. my earliest posts reflect a lot of frustration and a need to cry on someones shoulder.
thankfully, this board is filled with gentle folk who have been where you are now and happy to share the gift of comfort. if you need to whine some now & then, dont worry-- we all understand. and as you & your family progress toward better health and healing-- we are excited to share in your discoveries and good news!
hang in there, it gets better. LOTS better
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, thanks so much for the good words and the ideas. It's good to be remembered we do a good job!! I will definitely try to cook and freeze. I guess it's the things that freeze well that I'm not sure about. But it all can be learnt. If it were only for me, I would pretty much only eat in accordance with the teaching of Alfred Montessori and co (American & French naturalists). It's simple, organic and the most natural possible food. So definitely no msg factory created foods at all. However, because my daughter is severely allergic to nuts and sesame, I have to propose something slightly different. And the two of them don't really share my taste especially when it comes to veggies. So I try the efforts that keep the healthy part...
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

I am very proud of all those here that realize that a little time spent is worth hours of relief from nasty symptoms. My wife and I used to spend time on weekends together making meals from scratch to freeze for consumption at a later time. These included cooking fresh turkeys and roasts and ribs and stews and pork, etc. We would work together in the kitchen and the aromas were spectacular. We bought the vacuum seal freezer bags & equipment and planned meals for the month. It really turned out to be a great way to spend time together and if we still had the kids around it would have been a good learning experience for them to carry forward to their families.

Having done this, frees us from the last minute excuses for not having a quick healthy meal available when time is short. Yes, we still go out at times when we fail to set out meals in time to defrost for that evening’s dinner, but we have a small list of local establishments that we can feel comfortable patronizing and do so without compromising our steadfastness to MSG abstention.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that a little forethought goes a long way in preventing you from being tempted to accept anything less than what is needed to protect your health and that of your family – and yes, you can have fun doing it and pass on the good healthy eating habits to your family by just taking that little extra time up front. :-)
Kim
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 5:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!
Seriously great update. Our local Farmer's market just opened up for the season and we've connected with many farmers in the area. One in particular fully understands my sensitivities and our financial difficulties, he's gone out of his way to discount his product to suit our needs and has given us personal references to other farmers in our area. His son has bad allergies as well and through him we have discovered an awesome community of farmers in the area. =}.

I'm currently doing a cleanse....and let me tell you the wonderful news thus-far. My ribcage cramps are pretty much gone. I still get a slight one here and there, but nothing compared to before. I'm taking probiotics and a prebiotic... b.t.w...has anyone else developed a belching problem associated with them? I'm only asking because while my more severe symptoms have left, I've developed a bad case of the burps and some reflux. I also have been having headaches, I've read the boxes thoroughly and there are no tricky ingredients labeled...is this a side-effect or could there possibly be hidden ingredients? We traveled 30 miles to find a Trader Joe's to avoid Walmart and its crazy brands. I expected some gas, just not the reflux.
Anyway, now that we have the means, we have been on a much stricter diet, and my husband has been really good about this.

Also, turns out that my mom purchased 2 of Deb's books from Amazon and is sending me one.

Thanks for the support. I'm looking forward to the good days because of you.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 3:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kim, any chance you might be low on natural digestive/pancreatic enzymes and or HCl production?
asking coz that is definitely a big problem for me, i have compromised gut function ever since poisoning meself with soy some years ago (i have made some posts on the subject if youre curious)...
a few months ago i began taking a supplemental formula containing Betaine HCl , Pancreatin, Ox Bile extract, Cellulase and a number of plant based digestive enzymes and my digestion in general has improved quite a bit, reflux and "bubble-bubble" included. hope that helps

oh also, i dont do too well with some of the so-called "prebiotics" either, such as processed cellulose or 'plant fiber' and my understanding of that particular ingredient is that its basically just processed, "predigested" wood pulp sourced anywhere from juicing industry leftovers to actual wood mill pulp ie the paper industry (same place we get the luvly Torula yeast)
so... i'd be careful of it. at best it sounds like so much sawdust, at worst it could be loaded with all sorts of unlabled YUCK.

can anyone else add to that thought?
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 6:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Jaye regarding freezing foods -- there is a lot of info on onceamonthmom.com about freezing but you can always ask here and I'm happy to help. Usually I rely on google, and get different opinions. But the reality is most foods freeze wonderfully (and for longer, in my experience, than most people suggest).

Here are the basics: Proteins and fats freeze quite well. Carb foods freeze fine but can be a little mushy especially if they are cooked twice, but I'm not picky enough to notice. Things which are mixed/pureed (casseroles and soups) tend to freeze well. Vegetables and fruits almost always need to be partially cooked to freeze properly, and are the most tricky, potatoes even more so.

The general rule of thumb is if you thaw something from frozen, you need to cook it before you re-freeze it. For example, if I'm making a casserole with frozen vegies, I would either assemble the casserole cold so the vegies didn't thaw, and freeze it, or I would assemble, bake, and freeze. One exception is meat if you thaw it entirely in the fridge, apparently can be re-frozen raw in a dish, but I've not tried.

Here are things I regularly freeze: burritos (everything except sour cream), quesadillas, lasagna cooked and uncooked, meats both raw and cooked such as frozen cooked ground beef for recipes or chicken strips I sauteed myself for salads and stir-fries, homemade pizza, french toast, pancakes, cooked rice frozen in portions, roasted vegies or sweet potatoes (come out mushy but edible), enchiladas, chicken broth, chunks of cheese, scones, muffins, fruits for pie, chili, sweet-potato peanut butter stew, soups of all kinds, pesto...

Hope that helps!
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 6:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Kim regarding the headaches -- headaches are sometimes a sign that you are pulling too many toxins than your body's excretion (liver etc) can handle. It's not good to cleanse too fast because if you pull toxins but then they swirl around in the blood because your liver can't get them out of the body, they'll re-settle elsewhere.

You could either do the cleanse more slowly, or take milk thistle and other supplements to help your liver/body handle the toxins. I love, love milk thistle because it seems to really help my liver and is super gentle. Some toxins, such as alcohol, are helped more by dandelion and nettle. B-vitamins can also help (but can cause more detox themselves so be careful). I have a supplement box labeled "alcohol detox" where I put in each
dose: 2 caps milk thistle (Jarrow is my favorite), 2 caps dandelion, 2 caps nettle, 1 cap Vit C and 1 cap of a B-50 that I know works for me.

Also, headaches can be heavy metal exposure which can combine with very small amounts of glutamate. So it could be that you don't normally react to, say, citric acid, or some other ingredient, but you pull out a little aluminum, mercury, or lead, and suddenly you do react to it. That happens with me a LOT. For these, what is most effective for me is magnesium glycinate or citrate (along with the milk thistle). I take two large pills every 4 hours or as I feel a headache re-starting. I'll add ibuprofen (mild glutamate blocker) if needed. Vitamin K also has some glutamate-protective effect, and progesterone is supposed to as well but I don't find it to help after the headache is already starting.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 3:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thats very interesting, Lisa... i wonder can heavy metal/glutamate combination be responsible for other reactions besides headaches? my Spectrum son frequently has behavioral reactions that are all over the map and while we have identified many triggers, lots of times it is still a mystery... but what you said makes a lot of sense to me. he's been chelated once but will likely tend toward high metals levels for life. the whole chelation process was misery like we've never experienced, he was completely bonkers the whole time. dont want to have to repeat that unless we absolutely have to...
Kim
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 5:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the heads up! By prebiotic, I mean a tea containing pretty much the same ingredients as you described, dandelion, milk thistle, chicory, and licorice. The belches are still happening but less so. Headaches are gone. So, I have no idea. =/ I take the tea 30 to 45 minutes before a meal, the probiotics during one. I think my body is trying to regulate, and as Bo'nana said. I probably do need to slow on my detox, however.

Thanks again. Best wishes. =}
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 11:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Bo'nana. Have you any experience of giving your son magnesium.? Im looking into it for my youngest daughter who suffers behavioural issues when exposed to fga. I recently had to give her some medication that sent her loop the loop for a few days. She couldnt even talk clearly which led to frustration and high pitched screaming tantrums. It was recommended (Deb A i think) that i upped her antitoxidant levels before the second dose of medicine two weeks later and to try magnesium and an antihistamine. I upped her antitoxidant levels and gave an antihistamine and she was so much better but still reacted somewhat. Insomnia, unsettled and argumentative and loss of logic. I have found magnesium in the big health store but there are a myriad of brands and types. They had one that was a spray specifically for putting directly on childrens skin. I guess i just was asking if you have used a spray and if not what magnesium (citrate, glycinate etc) have you used if any and would you recommend for a child?

Thanks
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 8:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just a side comment - Magnesium oil is the stuff you spray on your skin - it is magnesium chloride brine - it can burn - it burns on my legs at times but not on my stomach - it is also available as the salt and you can make your own spray or put it in the tub - Nigari used to make tofu

have you considered Epsom salts baths? I understand there are Epsom salt lotions available too but I have never tried them

I do both of these as well as take oral magnesium - at least here you can find powdered magnesium citrate as well as magnesium oxide without fillers - probably more but just have to watch for them - and you measure then with a measuring spoon - not capsules or tablet

my body seems to want and need lots of magnesium
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 6:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolutely we've seen reactions to heavy metals and glutamate. My son's primary reaction to FGA is mood/anxiety/depression. He also has fatigue but that seems to be other genetic issues.

We tried a low-dose chelation protocol and he didn't do well with it...but if you have never looked into low dose frequent chelation, that might be worth a try.

I'll post a second response about supplements.

Lisa
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 6:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know you weren't asking me but thought I'd comment anyway...We do a LOT of supplements to help our son deal with FGA. I didn't realize how much of a difference they make until I started reacting too, and more so than him.

Magnesium is a lifesaver for us -- we use glycinate because it's the most absorbable form, and glycine can help with FGA too, but some people say to watch for it as glycine can be a fair weather friend. I take 2 large Mag glycinates every 4 hours and it does help incidental exposure. Vitamin K, GABA, Taurine, B6 all help directly with the FGA. We also see benefit from 1g of Vit C twice a day (helps with BH4 production), direct supplementation of BH4 (helps the fatigue rather than the FGA exposure), lithium orotate in small amounts, melatonin at night.

One of my favorite supplements that seems to help a TON with the mood issues (not sure if it is directly helping with FGA or not) is phosphitydal choline.

Epsom salts baths are good but some people react to the sulfate it's bound with.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 10:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help Sara and Lisa :-). I appreciate the advice and experience you shared with me. I think i will try the spray initially and tread carefully and slowly. I cant find magnesium powder. All the caps and others had fillers or calcium added. My mum is checking for me in the UK to see is it available there.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 1:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Phosphatidylcholine and Glyceryl-phosphorylcholine may help build nerve cell membranes, facilitate electrical transmission in the brain, hold membrane proteins in place, and produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine" ~ Because Phosphatidylserine competes with glutamate, it may protect us from glutamate toxicity."

source:

http://www.stemcelltherapies.org/ALS/supplements.html
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 4:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Roy, for finding that!! I have a soft spot in my heart for PS Choline as it was the first supplement that significantly helped our son and got us on the path of fixing all this instead of heavily medicating (now we only moderately medicate :-)
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 12:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

Here is a long, but interesting article about a future method to regulate Glutamate in the body to reduce the affect in stroke and head trama victims. Could also be used to reduce blood levels of Glutamate for those of us sensitive to its adverse side affects.

http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/detail.aspx?id=7376&p=1
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2012 - 10:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is an amazing study and report out of Isreal...all should read and copy it. It offers us all some hope. The comments on the last page were good...several posted that MSG in food should not be ignored, which was great to see. Thanks, Tom!
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 5:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Bo'nana - could you please identify the brand names of the supplements you are taking? It would help me so much. My Dr wants me to take Digestive Enzymes but mine list protease and I've asked him if thats OK and he says yes, but I read lots of stuff saying that we MSG sensitives need to avoid protease. Thanks
GongFoo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 4:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I DON'T REALLY HAVE A SYMPTOM BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT EATING SEAWEED AND DIABETES

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out