Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bee Pollen & MSG

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Bee Pollen & MSG « Previous Next »

Author Message
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't see any info on this site about Bee Pollen and am wondering if anyone has had any reactions to it or whether it is considered "suspect"?

The only caution I can really think of, without knowing if any naturally occuring glutamates in pollen, is not knowing whether the source of the pollen has been sprayed with pesticides or auxigrow. (I think auxigrow is now banned anyways?) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :-)
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From About.com, Alternative Medicine
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsa1/a/Bee_Pollen.htm

Possible Side Effects and Safety Concerns

Serious allergic reactions to bee pollen have been reported, including potentially life-threatening anaphylaxis. These reactions occurred with small amounts of bee pollen, less than one teaspoon. Most of these case reports were with people with known allergies to pollen.

From Sloan Kettering
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69132.cfm

Do Not Take If
You are allergic to bee stings and/or bee venom.
You have an intolerance to honey.
You are allergic to ragweed and/or chrysanthemums.

Side Effects
Some patients may have a hypersensitivity reaction to bee pollen, causing symptoms such as pruritus (itching), headaches, inflammation, sneezing, and anaphylactic shock. High levels of certain white blood cells (eosinophils) in the blood and small intestine can occur, causing nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. One woman suffered a reaction after taking a dietary supplement containing a combination of ginseng, goldenseal and bee pollen.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Dianne!

(already posted this thank you but am not seeing it so trying again - so my apologies if it shows up twice, although two thank yous are not a bad thing...always appreciate replies here :-) )
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melinda, my husband and I have both had different reactions to bee pollen. My husband has allergies to pollens and if he takes too much bee pollen, he has a hard time breathing. (You are supposed to start with only 1 or 2 grains and work your way up from there, but he was taking a spoonful.) When I take bee pollen, I get eye twitches. Strange, but true. It's too bad because so many sources say it's super good for you.... I have a big jar of it in my fridge if anyone wants me to mail it to them! :-)
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Becky for sharing your experience. Unfortunately, there are a TON of things that are sapposed to be good for you, but not for everyone -- with the Bee Pollen, it sounds like it is more of an allergy response vs. a problem with msg. I wasn't sure if Bee Pollen had naturally occuring glutamates in it which is why I posed the question about it. However, good to know of the possible allergic reactions too.
Five
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think Bee Pollen has any naturally occuring glutamates. (I react to almost everything.)
I was eating some that I had gotten at a health food store - it was the one that is refrigerated.
It was great!! I ate it by the tablespoonful.

And then...
The very next purchase of the same brand did me in. One small teaspoonful left a burning sensation in my mouth that lasted more than a day. And I got a bad reaction from it.
It must have been from a crop that had been sprayed.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Five, interesting that you didn't have any reactions after comsuming the first batch, but did with the second. You could contact the manufacturer to ask if their bee crops are sprayed with anything - natural or synthetic (I'd be sure to specify as they may say no if they use natural sprays thinking you meant pesticides). If you do contact them, let us know what you find out.

Add Your Message Here
Post:
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page